Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ugly Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Ugly Credit Cards

Look, I'm in it for points and miles and money as much as the next guy, but there's a limit, right? Some cards are just too ugly to use.

I'm nominating as ugliest credit card:

Hyatt Chase Visa

Brushed metal look? Fur realz? In 2015, when you, Chase, have actual metal cards?

I do like that it's pretty thin and flimsy, but in that vein, I'd prefer the Citi cards with no raised lettering.

Maybe the worst part about this card is that a bonus category is restaurants. Like I'm going to slap this beast down on a dinner check with a date? Uh uh. Not gonna happen.

Chase Hyatt Visa - it's the card that screams "You ain't gettin none, son!"

OK - what comes in second?
Old May 12, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
At least the Hyatt card still looks like a credit card... this thing looks like one of those flimsy temporary wi-fi access cards. And the back looks like something straight out of the early 90's.

We just got ours, it looks even worse in real life as it does in the photos.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by FreakingFlyer
Brushed metal look? Fur realz? In 2015, when you, Chase, have actual metal cards?

I do like that it's pretty thin and flimsy, but in that vein, I'd prefer the Citi cards with no raised lettering.
Discover IT's card look like that too... brushed metal and feels like cardboard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:D...r_it_card.jpeg

at least it's flush (no raised lettering), back looks fine (right card on the image below)

Old May 12, 2015, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by braffy
At least the Hyatt card still looks like a credit card... this thing looks like one of those flimsy temporary wi-fi access cards. And the back looks like something straight out of the early 90's.

Wow, the back of that card is horrific. I hate the Prestige because of the front facing mag strip. Honestly explaining to every cashier how to use it is frustrating.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm going to nominate the slowly dying US Airways card. Plane looks like it is desperately trying to get away from its ugly namesake card...

Old May 12, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, AS Mileage Plan, BW Diamond
Have to say that I kinda like the brushed metal look of the Hyatt Chase Visa or even the US Airways card, but that's probably because I have this in my wallet:

It's actually a really good card. Decent sign-up bonus, an annual $99 companion fare, and minimum 1 mile/$ earnings. But wow is it ugly!!! Seriously. It's a freakin' platinum MasterCard. Could they not make it look just a little bit fancier?
Old May 13, 2015, 2:27 am

Yes it looks a metal type it is right, but I want to say this card only valuable for money.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by braffy

"early 90's"?
The back colors look like my mobile home living room in the 1970's
Old May 13, 2015, 3:32 am

That AT&T card looks awesome. I nominate the HSBC Platinum card.
Old May 13, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

This is easily the most ugly card in my wallet. Bright neon green over the whole card, even the raised numbering is the same color. lol.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
I hate the Prestige because of the front facing mag strip. Honestly explaining to every cashier how to use it is frustrating.
Every. Single. Time.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
The Hyatt card doesn't look half bad. There is a certain elegance in its relative simplicity.

Although that said, simplicity can work against you. I am not fond of the Canadian Marriott Rewards Visa. It looks silver but it's just some dull shade of gray, and it still somehow comes off looking busy despite the plain design:

Amex's cards on the other hand are quite nice. I've actually had cashiers compliment the appearance of the SPG Amex
Old May 13, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigbuy
"early 90's"?
The back colors look like my mobile home living room in the 1970's
This is funny.

I had the AT&T Universal card back in the early 90s. And it looked fantastic.

It was one of my first cards, promised no annual fees for life, and had a pretty unique and bold graphic. Seems fairly dull today. But better than the current one.

Googling around, I found this site by the founders, so proud of their creation:

http://universalcard.biz/index.html

(seems most content there is gone for whatever reason)
Old May 13, 2015, 8:20 am

Came in here to say the AT&T Access. Atrocious looking card.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by josephstern
Googling around, I found this site by the founders, so proud of their creation:

http://universalcard.biz/index.html

(seems most content there is gone for whatever reason)
Quite a website! I did not think that a credit card could inspire such intense feelings of pride.

To their credit, it was a decent looking card. Does it still exist on a grandfathered basis?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.