Best way to close credit cards

Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Best way to close credit cards

I got rejected by Chase for the first time today for a new credit card. They said it was because I opened 7 cards with them in the past year. And just when I got my Redcard and was counting on, say, 50K points a month for free (laughing).

In fact, I have 16 open cards. I need to do something about that.

What is the best way to cancel credit cards? Would it be better to just cancel all the ones I don't need at once this month? Or would it look better if I stagger them?

And does anybody have any creative ideas I can use to improve my chances of getting accepted for other cards in the near future?

My credit history is stellar....my score is, I think, around 815 and I spend a small fraction of my credit each month.

Thanks in advance for opinions and input.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:21 pm

Having 16 open cards doesn't seem to be the issue. The fact that you opened 7 of them in one year with Chase doesn't change just because you now closed some of them. Even if you close a few of them, they still likely won't approve you so soon. (If that's the reason that they gave you)

Personally, I'd work on other Banks and come back to Chase in the future.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:23 pm

But to answer your question, I don't think it matters if you close 5 of them now or one a month for 5 months..
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Why don't you merge them all? i.e. move your credit limit around and cancel the ones you don't use
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
For Chase, depending on your present total credit line, it might not be the best idea to consolidate credit before cancelling. Check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html for the latest info.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by protagonist
In fact, I have 16 open cards. I need to do something about that.
That's not an issue in and of itself. As you stated, Chase denied because you opened 7 with them in the past year.

What is the best way to cancel credit cards? Would it be better to just cancel all the ones I don't need at once this month? Or would it look better if I stagger them?
It really doesn't matter either way. No matter how you time them there is an impact to your revolving utilization each time you close one. You can calculate it before and after closing any card to help you in your decision making. All staggering will do is stagger when they fall off your reports and affect AAoA down the road.

And does anybody have any creative ideas I can use to improve my chances of getting accepted for other cards in the near future?

My credit history is stellar....my score is, I think, around 815 and I spend a small fraction of my credit each month.
It's all about your credit. Again, if Chase denied you for opening 7 cards with them in the past year there's nothing you can do to change that with Chase other than closing some of the 7. They have a limit on the number of cards you can have with them. Chase's limit on number of cards that you can hold with them has nothing to do with other creditors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.