Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
See also, this thread in the US Airways forum:
New AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard (US targeted)

Differences between Red and Silver card

Any Aviator cardholders always had the option to upgrade to Silver. You just had to call Barclaycard and pay the $195 annual fee. Beyond that, there's nothing "exclusive" about it.

In short, it depends on if the extra $100/year annual fee the silver card has over the red is justified by the following benefits the silver card has over the red:

5000 EQM after $20k annual spend
Companion certificate after $30k annual spend
Another 5000 EQM after $40k annual spend
3 miles per dollar charged on AA purchases
Global entry reimbursement

Above copied from patmcpsu's post.
Print Wikipost

Any success upgrading Barclays AA Aviator Red MC to AA Aviator Silver World Elite MC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Well just received a mailer upgrade offer today for one of them with a deadline of 10/1.. Curious if that deadline will be applicable to the online offer as well.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:52 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by frudd38
I just checked my "How My Rewards Work" on both and they do show the 10k anniversary bonus (thanks for this as I was just going based off my own notes, didn't realize it was documented on the site). I clicked on the upgrade option again and the Silver upgrade is still being offered.
I'm one of the Aviator Red cardholders with the annual 10k anniversary bonus who has not yet been able to upgrade to Silver. Interestingly, however, I noticed that the anniversary bonus no longer shows up under "How My Rewards Work", as it used to.

Anyone else seeing this as well?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Still there for both my wife and my card.

Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® annual anniversary miles after payment of the annual fee.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by dw
I'm one of the Aviator Red cardholders with the annual 10k anniversary bonus who has not yet been able to upgrade to Silver. Interestingly, however, I noticed that the anniversary bonus no longer shows up under "How My Rewards Work", as it used to.

Anyone else seeing this as well?
Nope. Mine still shows the annual bonus.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:31 pm

can I get a sign up bonus?

Today I received an offer to upgrade my AAdvantage Aviator MasterCard to the AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite Mastercard. Nowhere does it mention a sign up bonus. How do I get a sign up bonus? Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:20 pm

There is no sign up bonus to upgrade the card. You got the sign up bonus when you signed up for the original card. You only get the increased benefits that come with the card but no added sign up bonus.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:05 am
In memoriam

This is why, IMHO, upgrading is for suckers. @:-) Don't do it.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
This is why, IMHO, upgrading is for suckers. @:-) Don't do it.
Literally one of stupidest things I've read in a while.

There will never be a sign-up offer for the Silver Aviator because it will never be available for application. The only way to get it is by card conversion from another Aviator or from the discontinued US Airways card.

Upgrade if you like the benefits of the Silver. There will never be a sign-up bonus.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm also not seeing the 10k bonus upon renewal, althought I don't see anything saying "How my rewards work", where is that (I have a section called Rewards and Benefits).
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Does anyone know when the 10k renewal bonus stopped being offered?

I had two cards, then they cancelled one when it converted. I'm worried that only one of them, might have had the offer. The second card was applied for 8/30/2014 - I think the offer was still there then, but not seeing it listed has spooked me.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:33 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm also not seeing the 10k bonus upon renewal, althought I don't see anything saying "How my rewards work", where is that (I have a section called Rewards and Benefits).
I think it may just be an IT glitch. Mine disappeared for awhile but then later reappeared.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Why no Silver for me?

I've been perseverating on why Barclay's won't let those of us with the 10K annual bonus upgrade to Sliver since on the surface it doesn't make financial sense. What if they are waiting to decide whether to allow us to keep the bonus after we upgrade? Presumably their potential income is a mix of AF, transaction fees and interest charges and their expenses beyond transaction costs and overhead come from what they pay AA for the miles. So if losing the annual 10K benefit is an upgrade barrier for a subset of this group, they may actually make a greater profit if they pay for the extra miles to keep the benefit and get more of the group to upgrade. If they are waiting to decide what to do with this group I'd predict they will make up their minds before the end of the year (or risk people closing accounts because they lose the EQM potential for this year's spend). Am I dreaming?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by Scsweet
I've been perseverating on why Barclay's won't let those of us with the 10K annual bonus upgrade to Sliver since on the surface it doesn't make financial sense. What if they are waiting to decide whether to allow us to keep the bonus after we upgrade? Presumably their potential income is a mix of AF, transaction fees and interest charges and their expenses beyond transaction costs and overhead come from what they pay AA for the miles. So if losing the annual 10K benefit is an upgrade barrier for a subset of this group, they may actually make a greater profit if they pay for the extra miles to keep the benefit and get more of the group to upgrade. If they are waiting to decide what to do with this group I'd predict they will make up their minds before the end of the year (or risk people closing accounts because they lose the EQM potential for this year's spend). Am I dreaming?
My personal take on why Barclays is unable to offer cardmembers with the 10k annual anniversary bonus an upgrade to Aviator Silver is two-fold. First, the 10k annual anniversary offer for the USAirways MasterCard was targeted to USAirways preferred members so in all likelihood, Citibank doesn't want Barclays to target elite members of the new American and thus a restriction as placed on accounts with the 10k bonus since Citi will likely be trying to aggressively market either the Executive Card to this group. Second, I think that cardmembers who hold both the Citi Executive Aadvantage card and a Barclays Aviator card are ineligible to upgrade because it increases the likelihood that the cardmember will cancel the Aadvantage Executive card since many benefits overlap.

This is all pure speculation but these are my thoughts, and I truly wish I was able to upgrade to the Aviator Silver Card but also it is not an option at this time I am told.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Joe1690
Second, I think that cardmembers who hold both the Citi Executive Aadvantage card and a Barclays Aviator card are ineligible to upgrade because it increases the likelihood that the cardmember will cancel the Aadvantage Executive card since many benefits overlap.
This is incorrect, I upgraded an Aviator card while holding an Executive card. In my case, I did cancel the Executive card; however, if you hold both, you can actually earn up to 20k EQM, something AA even confirmed deep down on their site.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Exactly. I have a Citi Exec card and have no plans to get rid of it. Being able to earn a combined total of 20K EQM is by far the main reason I'm interested in the Silver card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.