Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

CreditKarma (and only CK) scores taking a big hit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Just doing a sanity check here - is anybody else seeing this same problem?

Obviously, CK changed their scoring model to Vantage Score 3.0, but that was in late January. If anything, my scores (I manage accounts from multiple people) saw a 15-20 point boost from that. But in the past couple of weeks, every single one of my scores has taken a 50+ point plunge.

This can't be related to the scoring model change, since that took place almost 2 months ago. And yet in the same timeframe, my "true" FICO scores from banks/CC companies have only moved a point or two (mostly up).

I haven't done any AORs in the past few months, and only one of the people whose scores I track has even opened a new card (and that was just a single card). And even when I do a 5-7 card AOR, I usually see a drop of less than 10 points, not 50.

I've checked my credit reports, of course - no new accounts opened by someone else, nothing reporting as late/overdue/whatever.

So I guess the question is: are other people seeing the same thing? Have you had a drastic drop in your CK scores for no discernible reason? It looks like I may have to start using them as a place to pull my credit reports for free, and not much else - I'm not sure their model is solid anymore.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
Nope; CK still shows my TU and EQ scores well above 800, as they have for quite a while. My TU Fako has gone down a bit due to several recent inquiries; my EQ Fako is the same as last month's.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Just checked mine. I don't see anything drastic, Just -1 for me related to increased utilization, which makes sense.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:23 pm

Nope but I don't really see much point in worrying over your VantageScores unless you know for certain that one of your creditors actually uses them.

Have you checked for accounts falling off? Changes aren't just new accounts and derogs. Make sure you're carefully comparing reports from before and after.

Originally Posted by bobert24
I'm not sure their model is solid anymore.
You really can't rely on one model to determine the score generated by a different model -- even if both models are FICO's.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by bobert24
Just doing a sanity check here - is anybody else seeing this same problem?
Oh yes. My score(s) dropped 100 points in Feb and then gained 90 points in Mar!

CK has always been a FAKO but this is pretty pathetic. I love how they say "all the lenders use this score." How the heck can we extrapolate to old data with this change? I've been with CK since May 2009 and find the new site virtually unintelligible.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Nope - mine have gone up with their new model.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:01 am

hmm interesting, I thought I was the only one... my FAKO scores too have taken a noticeable dip.

and for the first time in recent mem they are way below my "real" FICO scores that some of my bank CCs provide.

I have been applying for new cards every now and then. as well as closing cards, so my util ratio has gone up a bit but nothing too bad. on the other hand, I have been letting a few cards statements close with high balances due to my MS turnaround.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:31 pm

I had this happen, too. I was very confused. The only thing that changed from week to week was a balance transfer being double reported which changed my utilization from around 30-35% to around 50%. As it sits now, CK tells me my TU FAKO is around 680 (it dropped to an abysmal score of around 630 for a week (and only a week), while Barlcays' TU FICO shows as being 739 (updated about 2 weeks ago). Makes me trust the FAKO scores even less.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
My real TU and EQ went up, but on Credit Karma, they went done quite a bit since their recent switch to 3.0 Therefore, I will no longer use Credit Karma.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold

my score dropped on ck about 40pts from Feb... but I think for me it was due to some poorly timed purchase postings. I had 2 cards with moderate balances, 2 with annual fee balances, 2 new accounts and 2 new hps. I'm waiting a few extra days on my next aor to let the dust settle just in case.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
My real TU and EQ went up, but on Credit Karma, they went done quite a bit since their recent switch to 3.0 Therefore, I will no longer use Credit Karma.
The value of CK was never the accuracy of the score, it was the tracking tools, alerts, and now the full(ish) credit reports.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:55 am

According to CK, my TU score dropped 85 points from January to March, yet my Equifax score didn't change at all. I opened one new card this year.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My CK scores dropped about 50 points or so back in January. They are now back up to their normal levels.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Anything that is not a fico should not be paid attention to.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Electroman
Nope; CK still shows my TU and EQ scores well above 800, as they have for quite a while. My TU Fako has gone down a bit due to several recent inquiries; my EQ Fako is the same as last month's.
In my case one went down 1 point and the other 2 points so no difference. Still well over 800+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.