Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

HSBC (US) credit card rewards mileage redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR,VS

Hey FT'ers,

Considering applying for an HSBC US credit card, but can't seem to find this anywhere (on us.hsbc.com, or by calling them).

I believe $1 spend = 1 point and for example a $200 ticket credit can be had for 15,000 points, but can I exchange HSBC rewards points for airline miles? If so, which are the participating airlines?

It looks like it could be a really great program but there is just so little information about it online.

Any thoughts/experiences with the HSBC cards like the Platinum MasterCard with Rewards credit card (see https://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/per...credit-cards)?

Thanks!
Dusan
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Most of the discussion is in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...astercard.html

I do not know if the rewards program is the same for the card you are considering, but in the Premier program points can be transferred 1:1 to only three airline partners:

• Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Singapore Airlines
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks Mia!

I would imagine it is no more flexible than the Premier program and possibly less so. I'll check out the thread but now at least I have something to ask HSBC specifically...

Are you a cardholder? How have you found interacting with the customer support in general?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:08 am
mia

Originally Posted by dusanb
Are you a cardholder?
Yes

I have never interacted with HSBC's credit card customer service.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:57 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
OP - most of the HSBC cards are linked to their bank accounts (premier/advance). I think the platinum is the only card independently offered.

Mia and most people here have it through the bank accounts.

Originally Posted by mia
I have never interacted with HSBC's credit card customer service.
I think the premier credit card CS is the same as the premier banking service. Atleast in the 2-3 times I have called them, they seem to be able to do my banking tasks too.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
OP - most of the HSBC cards are linked to their bank accounts (premier/advance). I think the platinum is the only card independently offered.

Mia and most people here have it through the bank accounts.

I think the premier credit card CS is the same as the premier banking service. Atleast in the 2-3 times I have called them, they seem to be able to do my banking tasks too.
Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by dusanb
Thanks Mia!

I would imagine it is no more flexible than the Premier program and possibly less so. I'll check out the thread but now at least I have something to ask HSBC specifically...

Are you a cardholder? How have you found interacting with the customer support in general?
I have had the HSBC premier world mc for a few years now. The premier mc customer service is one of the best of all the cards I've bad (wish I can say the same about their brokerage). Not only there's no foreign transaction fees, they usually post best FX rate among my txn-fee-free cards with the least spread. It's my primary card for international charges. However, I recall the gift card offering for points may have limited options. Sometimes I could not find a good GC that I'd use.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:48 pm

HSBC US is a horrible horrible bank. Don't bother. Here's my experiences:
  • I opened their Premier account and credit card when I moved to the US in 2013. It was recommended to me by a friend. I now know not to trust his recommendations :-)
  • To waive fees, the premier account requires a minimum of 100K of deposits or investment. I had no intention to leave that kind of money sitting in a deposit account. They told me that due to an agreement they have with my employer they would waive this requirement. That was a lie - they would only waive it for a year. Fortunately I discovered this before it was too late and closed the account before they charged me any fees.
  • There is absolutely nothing premium about their service. The CSRs were usually misinformed, rude or both. The waiting times for phone support were usually long (>10 minutes). I once called to inform them about upcoming travel. I gave up on the first two calls and it took more than 15 minutes on the third try to get someone on the line to perform this simple task. Next time I tried to use the online secure email feature. They responded 7 days (!) after I sent the message, at which point I was long traveling.
  • Their website is an absolute pile of junk. A hodgepodge of different outsourced providers, awkwardly glued together with duct tape.
  • The Advance and Platinum Rewards cards can not transfer points to miles. Only the Premier card can. The only thing you can do is buy a ticket (at a discount) through their travel agent (I believe it was $400 worth of travel for 25000 points, so 1.6c per point). Can't do it online, you have to call.
  • Their investment product is an equal pile of junk. I believe a single online trade costs $75. Ridiculous. Their investment adviser recommended me a mutual fund with a ridiculous load fee and I believe a 1.5% expense ratio. I passed.

After I closed the bank account, they let me keep the credit card without fees. The only reason I keep it open is because it is my oldest card and because it is my only other card with no FX fees.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Hey blaz,

Well, this is kind of exactly what I was looking for but hoping not to find. Lots of little caveats on the 100k and the mileage redemption (like you, I would find the discounted tickets requiring a phone call less interesting).

If I do go ahead I'll definitely put some of these points to them.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
One good thing about the HSBC cards though is their contactless support (still extremely rare with US issued cards). Apple Pay is an okay substitute but doesn't support transit outside the US unless you use a MasterCard with it. The application process from what I hear in other FT threads is a bit of a hassle unless you have a banking relationship with them already. Might be worth it for some though.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
One good thing about the HSBC cards though is their contactless support (still extremely rare with US issued cards). Apple Pay is an okay substitute but doesn't support transit outside the US unless you use a MasterCard with it. The application process from what I hear in other FT threads is a bit of a hassle unless you have a banking relationship with them already. Might be worth it for some though.
One hour, two minutes. As it is a US-issued MasterCard, do not expect it to work on transit - though I will know more when I get mine next week. The bigger benefit is that it avoids the signature hassles.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:13 pm
mia

Originally Posted by AllieKat
...As it is a US-issued MasterCard, do not expect it to work on transit -
My USA-issued HSBC Premier MasterCard works on London Underground and busses, and in UK shops which accept contactless payment.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia
My USA-issued HSBC Premier MasterCard works on London Underground and busses, and in UK shops which accept contactless payment.
Fantastic, they must support PayPass M/CHIP then. After all, TfL doesn't say "American, Canadian and Dutch MasterCards will never work" - they say the cards that don't work tend to be American, Canadian and Dutch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.