Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover Deals

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Discover Deals

I was just recently approved for my first Discover card (DiscoverIT Miles) and had a few questions on the Discover Deals portal.

I was under the impression that Discover Deals is similar to the Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall or other online portals in that you go to the site, you see the extra points you'll get per dollar spent, you click through and get taken to the website where you purchase the item and you'll eventually be credited the points.

Am I wrong in how the majority of deals functions? I only see a few deals that function this way. Or is it simply that there's not that many click through deals today?

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
It used to work this way, but now it is a combination of click-through offers (like Chase Ultimate Rewards) and statement credits for using your card at a specific merchant (like AMEX offers). Each deal states which type it is.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, micned. I can see where's there some that are still like that, I guess I was just expecting more. Thanks for the information.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
No problem. It seems that there are fewer merchants since the switch to Discover Deals. It still is one of the better cash back portals though, especially since I have better luck at Discover actually getting the cash back than with the Cartera ones. In the past, they have run generous cash back promotions around the holidays, so let's hope that continues as well.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by micned
No problem. It seems that there are fewer merchants since the switch to Discover Deals. It still is one of the better cash back portals though, especially since I have better luck at Discover actually getting the cash back than with the Cartera ones. In the past, they have run generous cash back promotions around the holidays, so let's hope that continues as well.
I've had a Discover card since 2011, but never use their Discover Deals. The cashback couldn't compete with getting miles or points with travel related cards. Now that I picked up Discover It Miles, guess I will give it a try. The one portal I can't stand is Hilton's. I always ended up e-mailing them about missing points, so I quit them a year ago. I never had problems with any of the others.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by eajusa
I've had a Discover card since 2011, but never use their Discover Deals. The cashback couldn't compete with getting miles or points with travel related cards. Now that I picked up Discover It Miles, guess I will give it a try. The one portal I can't stand is Hilton's. I always ended up e-mailing them about missing points, so I quit them a year ago. I never had problems with any of the others.
I would prefer 5% cashback, which is a minimum rate at DD over 2 miles per dollar, but at 3 miles per dollar, I would prefer miles.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by yugi
I would prefer 5% cashback, which is a minimum rate at DD over 2 miles per dollar, but at 3 miles per dollar, I would prefer miles.
Yes. That's why in the past I went through a shopping portal so I could collect a lot more than 2 miles per dollar. Some portals are fast and efficient. As I said above, HHonors a nightmare. Aside the 3% here, a fav of mine is Barclays Arrival shopping portal.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Yes. That's why in the past I went through a shopping portal so I could collect a lot more than 2 miles per dollar. Some portals are fast and efficient. As I said above, HHonors a nightmare. Aside the 3% here, a fav of mine is Barclays Arrival shopping portal.
I never found Barclays Arrival portal to be better than Discover Deals.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:24 pm

In order to match Discover Deals 5% back , with Barclays Arrival + you need to buy from a merchant giving 3 miles per $ plus the 2 miles w/ the card. With the no fee Arrival buy from merchant offering 4 miles per $ plus 1 mile from card.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:31 am

DD Glitch?

I've been using some HIGC to load Saers GC with $25 a day. About a week ago, my DD quit posting. Anyone else this happen to?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:27 pm

discover deals

Is there any way to track your deals click-thru purchases?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by avis04
Is there any way to track your deals click-thru purchases?
The cashback you earn is recorded on your statement and also on your discover account webpage.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:08 pm

The cashback you earn is recorded on your statement and also on your discover account webpage.
Is there a place that has it transaction by transaction so I can see if my $25 buys, with no e-mails, are pending payment?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Is there a place that has it transaction by transaction so I can see if my $25 buys, with no e-mails, are pending payment?
No. I keep track of everything and have always had to wait for it to post. I never found a place to see it pending.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:52 pm

Does anyone have recent experience shopping at Sears through Discover Deals? I made two purchases at Sears.com through Discover Deals a week ago and have yet to receive the normal confirmation email saying I earned extra cash back. I'm wondering if anyone else has recent experience and can let me know how it turned out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.