Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover Deals

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by sk8uno
Does anyone have recent experience shopping at Sears through Discover Deals? I made two purchases at Sears.com through Discover Deals a week ago and have yet to receive the normal confirmation email saying I earned extra cash back. I'm wondering if anyone else has recent experience and can let me know how it turned out.
Discover Deals' incidents of not tracking transactions happens more than it does with other portal I've used. If I used my Discover card, contact them, am to waste some time and have some patient. I will contact them for the missing cashback and will get it after some follow up. If I didn't use a Discover card, the cashback is lost. Moral of the story is that using Discover Deals without a Discover card is high risk and not worth it, and using it with a Discover card is worth it only when the amount of cashback is high enough to justify chasing it if required, which is more likely than not.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:56 pm

I recently read somewhere that people are not getting cash back from Discover Deals when making purchases with a form of payment other than a Discover card. Has someone recently double-dipped at, say, Sears? If it still works, and the 10% holds, then we can get 50% off purchases at Sears.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:11 pm

Today I got a pretty substantial normal spend (non-MS) savings through Discover It/Discover Deals and I just wanted to write about it. My 2012 SUV was in need of new tires, so I contacted the dealership to get a price quote, and they quoted me $1,035 for the same Michelin tires it came with. That left me with a bit of sticker shock, so I decided to check out Sears as well. Sears was priced about the same at $1,019 for the same model tire, but I went through Discover Deals which is currently offering 10% cash back through 8/31 (Note that gift cards do earn portal cash back at Sears)and bought two $500 Sears e-gift cards, and paid with my Discover It card (which got me another 5% cash back). The e-gift cards arrived via email 20 mins after purchase. I'm also enrolled in Discover's end of year doubling, so in the end, I will get about $300 cash back on this purchase. There's also a $70 Michelin mail in rebate going right now, but that's available through anywhere, and not just Sears. So all in I paid about $630 for a $1,000 set of tires today.

For any other vehicle owners out there, even if you don't need tires right now, it might not be a bad idea to pickup some Sears gift cards while the 10% portal promo lasts (through 8/31) to buy tires with them later.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
No. I keep track of everything and have always had to wait for it to post. I never found a place to see it pending.
I've been using cashback sites for years (it's free money), but I'm new to Discover Deals. In fact, I'm new to Discover, lured in by the double cashback.

But I'm amazed that there seems to be no way to track your individual purchases to make sure you're getting the credits you've earned. How do they get away with this? I made a few online Sears purchases, and the first two generated "you've got cashback" emails. But the third one didn't. Am I supposed to do the math on my next statement to see if I've earned the credit? And what do I do if I didn't?

It seems like a really weird and dishonest way to run a cashback operation.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I've been using cashback sites for years (it's free money), but I'm new to Discover Deals. In fact, I'm new to Discover, lured in by the double cashback.

But I'm amazed that there seems to be no way to track your individual purchases to make sure you're getting the credits you've earned. How do they get away with this? I made a few online Sears purchases, and the first two generated "you've got cashback" emails. But the third one didn't. Am I supposed to do the math on my next statement to see if I've earned the credit? And what do I do if I didn't?

I came here looking for the same answer. None of my recent purchases (2 weeks) have generated the cashback emails. Some of these were CC, some GC' and some a combination. I know the terms say that GC's are excluded but what about partial payments with GC's and SYW points ?? Between the 5% bonus category the 10% DD and Apple Pay I find it impossible to track what I am getting cashback for and what I'm not....very frustrating.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Am I supposed to do the math on my next statement to see if I've earned the credit? And what do I do if I didn't?

Discover has a section for tracking your cash back on your statement. You can compare your purchases on the statement to the cash back entered. So far, they have not missed anything for my cash back. I have been a customer since 2011. If they miss something you call their regular customer service. Unlike some cash back operations, they do not use a third party outfit for their cash back portal.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Discover has a section for tracking your cash back on your statement. You can compare your purchases on the statement to the cash back entered. So far, they have not missed anything for my cash back. I have been a customer since 2011. If they miss something you call their regular customer service. Unlike some cash back operations, they do not use a third party outfit for their cash back portal.
Thanks. So far, I've only gotten one statement from Discover (on which I made only one purchase). All I see on that statement is a "Rewards" box which contains a single line item for "Discover Deals and Promotional." I assume that's all I get? So I then have to look at all my Discover Deals cashback purchases and hope the expected cashback on these purchases "adds up" to the total amount in the Rewards box? Yikes! I'm glad everything has tracked for you because I've never had a 100% success rate with any other cashback site (and, honestly, I only bother keeping track of the larger purchases).

Obviously, the current promo for new members can be extremely lucrative, so I'm willing to do the extra work, but this seems like no way to run a cashback site.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
so i made a purchase on 11/23..at kohls..using another cc..but going thru the portal...no email nothing...i dont have anything showing up on my statement cuz i'm not using my discover card...

used it again for kohls 12/2..same thing..no cc..no email.

used it again at kmart 12/13..same thing..no cc..no email....

so i have to assume that they just wont give me the cashback unless I use my discover card?

i'm pretty sure this kohls purchase worked last yr same time without using the discover card...

and I have a transaction as recently as August with macys where i got the cashback email but didn't use the discover card...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:51 pm

You have to use a Discover card to get the cash back.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:50 pm

Is Discover the only portal that actually enforces the use of their credit card to get bonuses? I plan on making a good sized purchase via Chase UR using AMEX (for their $100 off $450 offer). Has Chase been clawing back points as well?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
You have to use a Discover card to get the cash back.
not in the past...again could get cashback as late as august..at least with macys not using discover card
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:13 pm

For example when you click on Kohl's at the Discover portal this pops up before proceeding
1 Click the "Shop Now" button to visit the website.
2 Pay with your Discover card at checkout within three hours.
3 Receive your Cashback Bonus within 10 weeks.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Is Discover the only portal that actually enforces the use of their credit card to get bonuses? I plan on making a good sized purchase via Chase UR using AMEX (for their $100 off $450 offer). Has Chase been clawing back points as well?
You need to use a Chase card linked to your UR account.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:30 pm

You need to use a Chase card linked to your UR account.
I know we are SUPPOSED TO use a Chase card, but I'm asking about enforcement of that policy. I've read several reports of Discover denying DD bonus because another card was used. I want to know if Chase has similar datapoints.

I bought a $12 item last week from Lowes using a $6 Lowes gift card and paying the remaining balance with a Citi card, and just got notice that I got UR points for it. Does Chase claw back in these instances?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I know we are SUPPOSED TO use a Chase card, but I'm asking about enforcement of that policy.
The answer to your question is found in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...d-ur-mall.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.