Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Should I apply for the US Airways MasterCard with limited credit history?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:29 pm
formerly mattrendell27
Original Poster

Hi,

I am considering applying for the Barlcaycard US Airways MasterCard before it stops being offered soon. I have a limited credit history with 2 credit cards open (1 capital one quicksilver and 1 chase amazon rewards card). Average age of accounts listed on credit report is 3 months. I have been an AU on my wife's credit cards for about 8 months and she has an excellent credit score and many open credit cards (always on time payments and low utilization). I haven't paid for a FICO score but my Vantagescore on Credit Karma is 685.

Is it worth applying for the US Airways card or would I be wasting a hard pull?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/LTT AA PLT
Originally Posted by mattrendell27
Hi,

I am considering applying for the Barlcaycard US Airways MasterCard before it stops being offered soon. I have a limited credit history with 2 credit cards open (1 capital one quicksilver and 1 chase amazon rewards card). Average age of accounts listed on credit report is 3 months. I have been an AU on my wife's credit cards for about 8 months and she has an excellent credit score and many open credit cards (always on time payments and low utilization). I haven't paid for a FICO score but my Vantagescore on Credit Karma is 685.

Is it worth applying for the US Airways card or would I be wasting a hard pull?
My GF just got turn down for having short history. even though she has 730 FICO TU, but recon said she need to have more than 12 months of credit history on her own card (AU won't count, he mentioned specificly)
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Hard to say, but the hard pull is not going to cost you that much. The possible outcomes are:

1. You get approved and all is well.
2. You get denied, call for reconsideration because you are planning on flying US Air many times in the next year and will book all of your travel to that, then get approved and all is well.
3. You get denied and lose reconsideration. Your score drops 3-10 points on the bureau(s) pulled.

Only bad outcome is #3. If that happens it is likely because of your short history, not the fact you have ~3 hard pulls. That means you need to lay low for 6-12+ months on new applications anyway, and by that point the latest HP will mean practically nothing.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:34 pm
In memoriam

Agree with tev9999.

Apply for US Airways today! Apps no longer be accepted real soon now.

And, rumor has it that Barclays is very hot to grant apps right now before US Air goes away.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:39 pm
formerly mattrendell27
Original Poster

Okay thanks for the info. What about the Chase Sapphire Preferred? I got linked with CSP on Cardmatch and was surprised given my short credit history. Should I give that a shot too or is that pushing it?

I know Chase usually pulls EX or EQ and Barclay usually TU would that help my cause?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:51 pm
In memoriam

Sure, give Chase a shot too.

But, my suggestion would be to apply for the US Airways RIGHT NOW!

See what happens (instant approval, good ) and use the US Airways card for a couple of months, paying in full each month (remember, only one transaction needed on US Airways card to get the 50K bonus) and then, say, in late April/May, after at least one payment shows on your credit reports, apply for Chase card.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
I'd apply for the card now too. Me and my wife just got it and she's almost in the 700 club I think, but only has a single store card with significant age. So it does seems like they are more open to approving apps right now for this card. The inquiry is worth it in my opinion, especially since they pull TU which not many bank rely on. If they piled on experian inquiries like other banks I'd probably be more cautious.

Okay thanks for the info. What about the Chase Sapphire Preferred? I got linked with CSP on Cardmatch and was surprised given my short credit history. Should I give that a shot too or is that pushing it?
They will probably pull experian or equifax depending on where you live so if you do these applications close together they probably wont effect each other, but if you are going to app for the Sapphire I'd do that first, since Barclays reports almost immediately upon approval, which at that point would affect your Sapphire application even if it doesn't mean you'll get denied necesarily.

As far as cardmatch, I'd take what they show you with a grain of salt. I think early on in my credit rebuilding when I was barely over 600 they gave me a special offer for BCE and PRG AMEX and I doubt I would have been approved at that point. So if the offer is good and you think you might get approved and/or can spare the inquiries I'd go for it. But I wouldn't just do it because cardmatch found it, even though I actually used cardmatch for my EDP AMEX.

What kind of offer did you get for CSP? I got the normal 40k + 5k for an AU.

Last edited by TReckoner; Mar 6, 2015 at 6:27 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:40 pm
formerly mattrendell27
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TReckoner
I'd apply for the card now too. Me and my wife just got it and she almost in the 700 club I think, but only has a single store card with significant age. So it does seems like they are more open to approving apps right now for this card. The inquiry is worth it in my opinion, especially since they pull TU which not many bank rely on. If they piled on experian inquiries like other banks I'd probably be more cautious.

They will probably pull experian or equifax depending on where you live so if you do these applications close together they probably wont effect each other, but if you are going to app for the Sapphire I'd do that first, since Barclays reports almost immediately upon approval, which at that point would affect your Sapphire application even if it doesn't mean you'll get denied necesarily.

As far as cardmatch, I'd take what they show you with a grain of salt. I think early on in my credit rebuilding when I was barely over 600 they gave me a special offer for BCE and PRG AMEX and I doubt I would have been approved at that point. So if the offer is good and you think you might get approved and/or can spare the inquiries I'd go for it. But I wouldn't just do it because cardmatch found it, even though I actually used cardmatch for my EDP AMEX.

What kind of offer did you get for CSP? I got the normal 40k + 5k for an AU.

I got the normal 40k + 5k for an AU too. I was going to apply for US Airways card today and wait to apply for CSP because I was just approved on Feb 15 for the Chase Amazon Rewards card (kinda regret applying for that now, i didn't think i could possibly get approved for much more than a store card but who knows maybe that's not the case). so i thought it would be best to at least wait 30 days between chase apps.

also, lets say i apply for CSP in late march for example and chase pulls EQ or EX wouldn't they not see my US airways card app assuming barclays pulls TU?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:29 pm

I got the normal 40k + 5k for an AU too. I was going to apply for US Airways card today and wait to apply for CSP because I was just approved on Feb 15 for the Chase Amazon Rewards card (kinda regret applying for that now, i didn't think i could possibly get approved for much more than a store card but who knows maybe that's not the case). so i thought it would be best to at least wait 30 days between chase apps.

also, lets say i apply for CSP in late march for example and chase pulls EQ or EX wouldn't they not see my US airways card app assuming barclays pulls TU?
From my experience, Chase is picky at certain points about how much credit they give and new customers is one of those points. So they might be hesitant to approve you for more than 1 card with limited history so close together. I would give it at least a few months before another chase app if you can help it.

There are 2 things they look at as far as new accounts are concerned: inquiries and accounts. So, while Chase wouldn't see the inquiry from Barclays by the end of the month, they would see the new account reported by Barclays by the end of the month.

On another note, Chase and Barclays are fairly sensitive to both inquiries and new accounts, Barclays is much more so than Chase though. So now that you mention you got approved for a amazon card in Feb it depends on whether or not the amazon card has been reported yet as to what I would do. I wouldn't expect the amazon card to report till 3/15 as the statement date, so applying for the us airways card before then is probably your only good shot at being approved, since they wont see the chase inquiry if they pulled ex. If Barclays sees the amazon account your chances drop a lot. so given that I would app for us airways now and wait a few months before attempting CSP.

Last edited by TReckoner; Mar 6, 2015 at 6:30 pm Reason: typos
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:34 pm
formerly mattrendell27
Original Poster

From my experience, Chase is picky at certain points about how much credit they give and new customers is one of those points. So they might be hesitant to approve you for more than 1 card with limited history so close together. I would give it at least a few months before another chase app if you can help it.

There are 2 things they looks at as far as new accounts are concerned: inquiries and accounts. So, while Chase wouldn't see the inquiry from Barclays by the end of the month, they would see the new account reported by Barclays by the end of the month.

On another note, Chase and Barclays are fairly sensitive to both inquiries and new accounts, Barclays is much more so than Chase though. So now that you mention you got approved for a amazon card in Feb it depends on whether or not the amazon card has been reported yet as to what I would do. I wouldn't expect the amazon card to report till 3/15 as the statement date, so applying for the us airways card before then is probably your only good shot at being approved, since they wont see the chase inquiry if they pulled ex. If Barclays sees the amazon account your chances drop a lot. so given that I would app for us airways now and wait a few months before attempting CSP.
Okay thanks, I'll give CSP a few months and apply for US Airways asap.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:47 am
formerly mattrendell27
Original Poster

There are 2 things they looks at as far as new accounts are concerned: inquiries and accounts. So, while Chase wouldn't see the inquiry from Barclays by the end of the month, they would see the new account reported by Barclays by the end of the month.

Applied for US Airways MasterCard tonight and was approved instantly with 4k CL! can't believe it, so glad I applied.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:56 am

Applied for US Airways MasterCard tonight and was approved instantly with 4k CL! can't believe it, so glad I applied.
Congrats! Same as my wife.

Another thing to be aware of with Barclays that has been an issue in the past at least is if it's your first card you may want to lay low on the apps as long as possible up to 6 months because they will probably be paying higher attention and if they get worried enough in that time people have reported credit line decreases and account closures, but I seriously doubt it would be a closure on a normal limit rather than a low limit. So that's another reason to wait 3 months at minimum.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:27 am
formerly mattrendell27
Original Poster

Congrats! Same as my wife.

Another thing to be aware of with Barclays that has been an issue in the past at least is if it's your first card you may want to lay low on the apps as long as possible up to 6 months because they will probably be paying higher attention and if they get worried enough in that time people have reported credit line decreases and account closures, but I seriously doubt it would be a closure on a normal limit rather than a low limit. So that's another reason to wait 3 months at minimum.
Good to know, thanks. I will lay low for a few months. Since I have a short credit history I don't want to get in over my head anyways.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Good to know, thanks. I will lay low for a few months. Since I have a short credit history I don't want to get in over my head anyways.
TReckoner's advice of waiting 6 months is spot on. Believe me 6 months goes fast.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:20 pm
formerly mattrendell27
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eajusa
TReckoner's advice of waiting 6 months is spot on. Believe me 6 months goes fast.
I'm not 100% yet (gonna have to see how cash flow is when the time comes) but I may want to get a house and apply for a mortgage around Jan-March 2017. I wonder if I should call it quits on the credit card game until after my mortgage. Or is it only necessary to stop putting in hard inquires within 1 year of applying for a loan (since hard pulls won't factor into your credit score after 1 year or possibly less than 1 year)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.