Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best CC for insurance payment.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Which CC offer most points for Insurance payment ? My business and auto insurance ($10,000) due in 2 weeks. As always your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:52 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

United Club card. 1.5/$ on all purchases. Otherwise get a couple new cards with sign up bonuses.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
No card offers a bonus category for business insurance so you need either something which you value for high every day spend (tons of different opinions on this), or take advantage of a signup offer as your payment will easily cover the minimum spend requirement (you can easily get 60,000 miles/points in most programs with 10K in spend plus all the sign-up bonuses around 50K).

Look at:

card (bonus)

AMEX PRG (varies)
AMEX Plat (varies)
SPG AMEX (25K)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (40K)
Barclays US Air (50K)
Citi AAdvantage (50K)
United Explorer (50K for business)
Chase Hyatt (2 free nights)
Chase Ink (50K)
Chase Southwest (50K)
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Habsone
Which CC offer most points for Insurance payment ? My business and auto insurance ($10,000) due in 2 weeks. As always your help will be greatly appreciated.
Probably a card you already have. Even from approval (which doesn't always come on the day of applying), it takes almost two weeks for me to get a new card from most banks. So if your payment is due in 2 weeks, I'm not certain that you could get whatever card you might decide on in time to make that payment with it. (Keep in mind that more and more cards are coming with EMV chips these days, and it often seems to take them at least an extra day or two to make those cards compared to the swipe-only cards of a few years ago.)
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:07 pm

I have two businesses- I split my business expenses basically 50/50 between Starwood and Ink. Personally I prefer these two cards because the points are more flexible. If you have a sign up bonus to work on though- put them on this card.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
I agree with sdsearch that 2 weeks probably isn't enough time to apply for and receive a new card. But if you are going to apply for one anyway, I'd suggest the Arrival with 2.2% points redeemed against travel purchases.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:33 pm

For $15 you can get express delivery on an Arrival Card.

I applied for my last 2 cards on 2/8 and had them in hand within 10 days, Cap one and IHG
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:04 am

You can definitely get an Amex in less than 2 weeks. The last 2 Amexes I applied for (business and personal Gold) were both overnighted to me for free, without having to ask. I'm pretty sure most of my previous Amexes were also sent overnight or similar.

I get most of my Citi & Chase cards within a week or so. I think even Barclays usually gets them out in less than 10 days. US Bank is out of the question, though - it could take 2-3 weeks to get theirs.

That said, the others are right - there's no card that really offers an insurance category bonus. Figure out which card has points for base spend and/or a signup bonus that you value the most, and go for it.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Right now the Discover It Miles card is offering 3% back, 1.5 now, 1.5 later as the double promo.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobert24
I get most of my Citi & Chase cards within a week or so.
While I pretty much never do. With approval on a Friday, I don't get them the next Friday, or even the next Saturday. And if the following Monday happens to be a holiday, it doesn't come until at least Tuesday. (That's exactly what happened to me on my last Citi HH 50k app; I got approved on a Friday morning, the Citi agent who approved said I should have it in "about a week", and it took at least 11 days.)

Now, it may depend on where you live and it may depend on which day of the week you're approved. If you happen to live fairly near where they send them out from, you may get them faster. But across the whole country, it's not the case that everyone gets them within a week.

(Yes, you did say "or so", but how is that helpful??? No one knows exactly what "or so" means! My calculator shows that 11 days is 1.57 weeks.)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

I thank you all for your time and advise.

Regards,
Habsone
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
While I pretty much never do. With approval on a Friday, I don't get them the next Friday, or even the next Saturday. And if the following Monday happens to be a holiday, it doesn't come until at least Tuesday. (That's exactly what happened to me on my last Citi HH 50k app; I got approved on a Friday morning, the Citi agent who approved said I should have it in "about a week", and it took at least 11 days.)

Now, it may depend on where you live and it may depend on which day of the week you're approved. If you happen to live fairly near where they send them out from, you may get them faster. But across the whole country, it's not the case that everyone gets them within a week.

(Yes, you did say "or so", but how is that helpful??? No one knows exactly what "or so" means! My calculator shows that 11 days is 1.57 weeks.)
That's crazy. I've never heard of it taking anyone so long to get their cards. When I said "a week or so", I really meant "a week or less". If 7 days go by and I don't have the card, I start to get a little antsy/annoyed. That is, of course, from the big 3 issuers - as I mentioned, Barclays and US Bank are always slow.

I wonder what the difference is. If the location listed in your profile is correct, I can say with certainty that I'm farther from the place most of the cards are mailed (or at least the return address on the envelope, which, of course, could be completely different).

Of course, the 2 weeks mentioned by the OP may or may not have been precise. If it was due in 14 days, he might be pushing it with an 11 day delivery. If it was due in 12 days, it's probably not going to work for him. If it was due in 17 days, he could get pretty much any card mentioned in time.

But now we're (literally) just arguing semantics. I believe that's my cue to bow out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.