Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Yes, this is really interesting. I guess the other variable, besides the rate, is the exact posting time.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:27 pm

AUD, NZD Datapoint

Just a few more datapoints completed a trip through Australia and New Zealand recently. And noticing some odd figures in the forex rates on my Chase CSP Visa - particualrly when it comes to payment credits/refunds...

In Melbourne, my hotel accidenitally charged me for parking, and as elite I was entitled to parking and they refunded the charge immediately.
Purchase:
Trans Date - 1/22
Post Date - 1/24
AUD Total - 40.80
Rate - .805147058
US Total - 32.85

Refund:
Trans Date - 1/22
Post Date - 1/24
AUD Total - 40.80
Rate - .788235294
US Total - 32.16
In New Zealand I purchased a bungie jump and they accidenitally charged me for the pre-paid picture rate, as I didn't want any photos they immediately issued a refund for the difference.
Purchase:
Trans Date - 1/30
Post Date - 1/31
NZD Total - 180
Rate - .729833333
US Total - 131.37

Refund:
Trans Date - 1/30
Post Date - 1/31
NZD Total - 20
Rate - .721500000
US Total - 14.43
I'm not ready to put on my tin foil hat yet, but it seems very odd to have a less favoritable to the consumer rate for refunds. Particuarly as the refunds all took place within minutes of the initial charge, and posted on the same day. To add to this, at no time did any other purchases during my 2 week travels ever reach the lower "refund" rate (AUD ranged from .82380000 to .794117647 and NZD ranged from .75000000 to .729833333) I'd love to hear some other people's experiences with returns...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by peetahvw
Just a few more datapoints completed a trip through Australia and New Zealand recently. And noticing some odd figures in the forex rates on my Chase CSP Visa - particualrly when it comes to payment credits/refunds...

In Melbourne, my hotel accidenitally charged me for parking, and as elite I was entitled to parking and they refunded the charge immediately.
Purchase:
Trans Date - 1/22
Post Date - 1/24
AUD Total - 40.80
Rate - .805147058
US Total - 32.85

Refund:
Trans Date - 1/22
Post Date - 1/24
AUD Total - 40.80
Rate - .788235294
US Total - 32.16
In New Zealand I purchased a bungie jump and they accidenitally charged me for the pre-paid picture rate, as I didn't want any photos they immediately issued a refund for the difference.
Purchase:
Trans Date - 1/30
Post Date - 1/31
NZD Total - 180
Rate - .729833333
US Total - 131.37

Refund:
Trans Date - 1/30
Post Date - 1/31
NZD Total - 20
Rate - .721500000
US Total - 14.43
I'm not ready to put on my tin foil hat yet, but it seems very odd to have a less favoritable to the consumer rate for refunds. Particuarly as the refunds all took place within minutes of the initial charge, and posted on the same day. To add to this, at no time did any other purchases during my 2 week travels ever reach the lower "refund" rate (AUD ranged from .82380000 to .794117647 and NZD ranged from .75000000 to .729833333) I'd love to hear some other people's experiences with returns...
What is happening is that for purchases, Visa is using the AUD to USD (or NZD to USD) buying rate, whereas for refunds it is using the selling rate for the same day. The selling rate will always be lower than the buying rate, as that's the built-in margin on foreign currency exchange.

You can check the rates yourself if you go here: http://usa.visa.com/personal/card-be...calculator.jsp
For buying rate, select My Card Is In USD and My Transaction Was In AUD, with a 0% bank fee, and for date enter the post date (as opposed to transaction date). It should return something very close to what's on your statement.

For the selling rate do the same except this time put My Card Is In AUD and My Transaction Was In USD. Then whatever number it spits out, the selling rate is 1/x and again this should be very close to the number on your statement.

I wasn't aware that that's how refunds in foreign currencies are treated. Conceptually it makes sense but yeah it sucks that you are worse off through no fault of your own!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shinjukuflyer
The selling rate will always be lower than the buying rate, as that's the built-in margin on foreign currency exchange.
Except that there is no such thing as "the" selling or buying rate. It's the rate Visa feels like charging. The rate for a refund could be the same, but Visa chooses how big a spread to put on it, without quantifying what that fee is.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Except that there is no such thing as "the" selling or buying rate. It's the rate Visa feels like charging. The rate for a refund could be the same, but Visa chooses how big a spread to put on it, without quantifying what that fee is.
Why would any lender or forex trader buy and sell at the same rate? There will always be a spread. The question would then be whether Visa's spread is competitive or excessive.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Why would any lender or forex trader buy and sell at the same rate? There will always be a spread.
There will always be a spread in a market, until there's an actual transaction. Then the buying and selling value are whatever that value is.

However, this is nothing to do with forex spread. Trading markets generally list major currency spreads of around 1-3 pips. (i.e. around .0001 to .0003) Nobody would even notice if it were that small. Visa's buy/sell rates as shown above differ by roughly .01, 100 times the usual forex market spread.

Plus, of course, in refund situations, they are controlling the transactions on both sides. You don't really think they exchange your money from one currency and then back again, do you? No, they just do nothing and skim some money off the top, before giving you back less.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:22 pm

There will always be a spread in a market, until there's an actual transaction. Then the buying and selling value are whatever that value is.

However, this is nothing to do with forex spread. Trading markets generally list major currency spreads of around 1-3 pips. (i.e. around .0001 to .0003) Nobody would even notice if it were that small. Visa's buy/sell rates as shown above differ by roughly .01, 100 times the usual forex market spread.

Plus, of course, in refund situations, they are controlling the transactions on both sides. You don't really think they exchange your money from one currency and then back again, do you? No, they just do nothing and skim some money off the top, before giving you back less.
Yeah no of course, didn't mean to imply Visa is being charitable. I agree it is sneaky because you would expect a refund on the same date to use the same rate. They are acting like a currency shop here.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:19 pm

Yeah no of course, didn't mean to imply Visa is being charitable. I agree it is sneaky because you would expect a refund on the same date to use the same rate. They are acting like a currency shop here.
Ahh, makes sense, total naiveté on my behalf to assume that Visa was providing a flat exchange rate in both directions. Looking at the rates Visa has on their site it does look pretty close to what Chase passed through on the CSP:

$1 AUD = $0.805219 USD (Jan 24, 2015)
$0.7882792 USD = $1 AUD (Jan 24, 2015)

$1 NZD = $0.729827 USD (Jan 31, 2015)
$0.72137217 USD = $1 NZD (Jan 31, 2015)

Frustrating to the consumer, seems odd though that Visa gets to play with the spread like this (anyone else with an opinion if the spread essentially 1-2% is excessive or acceptable?)

Slightly related - as they're batching transactions for processing, seems like they should be able to reconcile purchases/refunds before doing the currency conversion, rather than being able to play the forex market with the float...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Here are some examples on my CSP:

02/26 XINGBAKEKAFEIYOUXIANGO BEIJING 9.59
02/27 YUAN RENMINBI
60.00 X 0.159833333 (EXCHG RATE)

On Visaeurope:

* The rate shown applies to transactions processed by Visa Europe on 26 February 2015 with a currency conversion fee of 0.00%.

60.00 CHINA YUAN RENMINBI = 9.5889600000 UNITED STATES DOLLAR

1 CHINA YUAN RENMINBI = 0.1598160000 UNITED STATES DOLLAR

* The rate shown applies to transactions processed by Visa Europe on 27 February 2015 with a currency conversion fee of 0.00%.

60.00 CHINA YUAN RENMINBI = 9.5874000000 UNITED STATES DOLLAR

1 CHINA YUAN RENMINBI = 0.1597900000 UNITED STATES DOLLAR

On Visa.com:

* The rate shown is effective for transactions submitted to Visa on February 26, 2015, with a bank foreign transaction fee of 0%.

1 China Yuan Renminbi = 0.159816 United States Dollar

* The rate shown is effective for transactions submitted to Visa on February 27, 2015, with a bank foreign transaction fee of 0%.

1 China Yuan Renminbi = 0.159790 United States Dollar

Here we don't see the 1%, right? It's not exact, but definitely not 1% more.

Here is another one:

02/22 JINYUXILAIDENGJIUDIAN BEIJING 51.85
02/24 YUAN RENMINBI
324.20 X 0.159932140 (EXCHG RATE)

On Visaeurope:

* The rate shown applies to transactions processed by Visa Europe on 22 February 2015 with a currency conversion fee of 0.00%.

324.20 CHINA YUAN RENMINBI = 51.8496302000 UNITED STATES DOLLAR

1 CHINA YUAN RENMINBI = 0.1599310000 UNITED STATES DOLLAR

* The rate shown applies to transactions processed by Visa Europe on 24 February 2015 with a currency conversion fee of 0.00%.

324.20 CHINA YUAN RENMINBI = 51.8496302000 UNITED STATES DOLLAR

1 CHINA YUAN RENMINBI = 0.1599310000 UNITED STATES DOLLAR

On Visa.com:

* The rate shown is effective for transactions submitted to Visa on February 22, 2015, with a bank foreign transaction fee of 0%.

1 China Yuan Renminbi = 0.159931 United States Dollar

* The rate shown is effective for transactions submitted to Visa on February 24, 2015, with a bank foreign transaction fee of 0%.

1 China Yuan Renminbi = 0.159931 United States Dollar

Again, it's still not 1%, just the round up to the cent, right?

Certainly, if the base amount is considerably larger, say 100k CNY, we would see differences in the neighborhood of $s. But I really don't see the 1% people are talking about here.

Also, my information is just for CNY to USD on Visa.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Any thoughts, guy? I am also very eager to know whether Chase has been ripping me off, since I was thinking it wasn't and now I'm not sure anymore.

The data I collected still shows that Chase is doing fine, but it's just my interpretation to the data.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by AggieTraveler
Visa did specify a date - on the processing date.
chase marriott visa, with email notifications on, you get an email immediately with the USD equivalent value.

Same store in Canada, within 10 minutes, there's a rate difference... so perhaps it's a "live" fluctuating rate

don't remember what was the % premium (over visa.com rate and xe.com rate)... need to go back and check. think it was <1%
Old May 4, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
chase marriott visa, with email notifications on, you get an email immediately with the USD equivalent value.

Same store in Canada, within 10 minutes, there's a rate difference... so perhaps it's a "live" fluctuating rate
It certainly does fluctuate. It also doesn't matter, as it may not be the rate which the transaction posts at.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:31 am

It certainly does fluctuate. It also doesn't matter, as it may not be the rate which the transaction posts at.
but if I get an email 10 seconds after I swipe, and the email contains the actual converted USD... then it should be a live rate?

(need to check if my final statement has the same USD as my email)
Old May 5, 2015, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
but if I get an email 10 seconds after I swipe, and the email contains the actual converted USD... then it should be a live rate?

(need to check if my final statement has the same USD as my email)
The email contains some live rate that may resemble the final rate in some way, but as it's not what you're being charged, it doesn't matter. The rate that you actually get will be on the posting date, which may or may not be the purchase date. So, especially if your purchase is late Friday and doesn't post until Monday, the rate could have moved significantly.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Thanks! This is very helpful. ^
Actually, for me the Starbucks in Korea experiment was very interesting, but as the results were all in the range of a penny, I don't know what to make of the results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.