Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sao Paulo--should I consolidate, cut, change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

I Currently have: AA Executive Platinum (miles vested, no fee paid yet), AMEX SPG (just got) , Chase Sapphire (just got) plus 3 others that I should probably cut like an REI card, a CC from my bank with a cash back award. I have a CapitalOne I can use internationally with no annual fee too.

Wife has the AA Executive (miles vested, no fee paid yet), and Chase Sapphire (miles vested, no fee yet).

My employer in SP will be paying all the housing and I think a lot of restaurants take only cash. (And by paying the fee money to pay a credit card bill I think I lose on any benefit.)

I would probably use a card for flights (intercontinental and SP to LAX) and utilities, plus stuff when I am back in the U.S.

Pretty much at a loss of what to do and would love any insight anyone has.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Lots of restaurants in SP accept cards too. At least that is my experience.

But you should get a U.S. card with zero FX charge, orherwise you'll end up paying more than you should. Also look into any local banking relations that your employer has. That might help you get a local card.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:58 am

First question that comes to my mind: For how long is this move? 1 year? 3 years? Indefinitely?

Without that info, people might be reluctant to give any advice that could have lasting implications. Personally, even if the move were only for a year, I'd deep-six all AA cards and the SPG once the annual fee hits as it is mostly useless outside of the U.S. unless you have enough spend to justify the executive card which sounds like a no especially for 2 cards.

The Sapphire Preferred should do about as well as you can with 2x on dining where you can charge it without an added surcharge plus up to 4x-7x on travel between Brazil and wherever through the UR mall.

I really can't go into greater detail without more info regarding your comings/goings which is probably why there have been only 2 replies to this in as many days.

Best of luck to you,
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Welcome to FT, OP.

1. Always consolidate your CL to the oldest cards you have with each issuer.

2. Unless it is absolutely necessary, try to keep cards without AF and those with grandfathered benefits.

Nowadays, simply too many promotions. If you don't need to use the cards, consolidating the accounts will allow you to get new offers in the future.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

"First question that comes to my mind: For how long is this move? 1 year? 3 years? Indefinitely?"

Minimum of three years. Will spend about 35 days per year in the US during.

"Without that info, people might be reluctant to give any advice that could have lasting implications. Personally, even if the move were only for a year, I'd deep-six all AA cards and the SPG once the annual fee hits as it is mostly useless outside of the U.S. unless you have enough spend to justify the executive card which sounds like a no especially for 2 cards."

Definitely don't have enough spend for the Executive cards. Will probably do one GRU-LAX flight per year on American. Doubt the Admirals Club will be much of a benefit.

"The Sapphire Preferred should do about as well as you can with 2x on dining where you can charge it without an added surcharge plus up to 4x-7x on travel between Brazil and wherever through the UR mall.

"I really can't go into greater detail without more info regarding your comings/goings which is probably why there have been only 2 replies to this in as many days."

My real question on the Sapphire is whether it will be considered "Travel" if I spend 3 years using the card in Brazil, but finish a US address. I don't know how that is interpreted.

comings/goings: Will probably fly once a month within South America, with one Europe and one North America trip yearly. Usually train within Europe but will do at least two LAX-SEA length RTs inside that US trip.

Thanks for the response. As you can probably tell from my initial question, I am really at a loss here.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:58 pm

A little off topic, but I just spent a year in São Paulo and can assure you that almost everywhere accepts credit cards. Like even more so than in the US, in part because its safer than carrying cash. Delivery boys have card readers, guys who sell beer out of coolers on the streets... everyone.

I don't know whether Chase will count money spent in SP as traveling, but you could always pay for some things (Netflix, sending gifts to people in the US, etc.) via US websites.

Make sure to avoid foreign transaction fees. I'd note that Charles Schwab Bank was particularly helpful while I was there. They mailed me a new card before my last one expired.

Also, if you have any general questions about the city or Brazil, feel free to PM me. I'm not the most expert person out there, but I know the city and Brazil somewhat well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.