Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2015 and forward App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The Master List of credit card offers can be found on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...scription.html

A list of Flyertalk members who would appreciate "paying it forward" by using their referral links can be found here: Individual discussions of bank policies, credit cards, and pros/cons of the various programs can be found in this forum:
Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Forum
Discussions on redeeming miles and points can be found in the Airline and Hotel forums.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

2014 posts can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-archive.html
Print Wikipost

2015 and forward App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:02 am

I'm revising my strategy in a few ways.

From what I've read on other threads the odds of getting two Chase business cards at once are very low, so I'm dropping the United one.

Also trading Amex Everyday Preferred for the Platinum due to the better sign up bonus and value of benefits. The Everyday Preferred card looks like a great long-term card for daily earning but most of my spend for the next few months will be focused on hitting minimums anyway so there is little reason to get it now.

Finally, I have the same 60K, in-branch offer for Citi Prestige as Sound48 so I am thinking about same issues of schedule (both branches are also very close). I'm wondering if it might be better to spread it out over a few weeks rather than a few hours to just tackle each app (and recon) on its own? Probably not but I need to research more.

Anyway, here is my current plan:
1. Ink 60K (in-branch)
2. Citi Prestige (in-branch) 60K
3. Barclays US Airways 50K
4. Chase British Airways 50K
5. Amex Platinum 40K

Originally Posted by frequentfiler
I currently hold a Citi TY Preferred and Delta Platinum Amex with a ~780 FAKO. Looking to diversify my points/miles and get started with churning.

I'm planning out my first AOR and would welcome any feedback on this list:
1. Chase Ink Plus (Business)
2. Amex Everyday Preferred
3. Barclays USAir MasterCard
4. Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select (Business)
5. Chase United Explorer (Business)
6. Chase British Airways Visa

A few questions:
Is it a bad idea to apply for two Chase business cards (Ink and United) at the same time? In both cases I'm trying to capture the current AF waive which might not last.
Is this too many cards overall? I'm not worried about spend/management but I don't want to get rejected for half of them or hurt my credit score more than can be recovered in a few months.
Any specific sequencing that I should do? I was going to apply for the Ink Plus in branch to get the 60K point offer with AF waived. Should I apply for the other Chase cards in the branch at the same time or immediately afterward online? (Chase is across the street so there won't be much lag time)

If I max out category bonuses for the offer spending I will earn 315,001 miles/points for $12,001 in spend and $279 in first-year fees. I know this won't set any records but feels like a good first haul for me in attractive programs with limited annual fees.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:43 am

Which card to grab?

I currently have the Barclay Arrival+ as my only points reward card. I am thinking about getting the SPG AND the Chase Sapphire or MileagePlus card to compliment my current arsenal. Any suggestions on if this is a good idea? Or would it be too much of an overlap with some cards? Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
No way would I do this one...Amex Platinum 40K You can get 75k and 100k opportunities, be patient on this. I picked up a 100k offer just by calling, not saying it will work but 40k isn't a good signup for the caliber of card..... they don't waive the annual fee but with the airline credit and global entry... its 150 for an extra 60k in miles.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:16 pm

Yeah, I may call and try to get in on the targeted 100K offer, but I'm not counting on it working. I also could do the MB Platinum for 50K but I'm not planning to buy a Mercedes anytime soon so the extra $25 annual fee gets me nothing.

The main reason I don't want to wait is that I fly Delta somewhat regularly (paid, often at last-minute prices) for work so the SPG gold status conferring crossover points will earn me 5-10K extra Starpoints this year. I'd rather start getting those on my next flight than wait for a promo that might never come.

Still thinking about it, though, and may flip back to the Everyday Preferred or another card.

Originally Posted by shawntobi
No way would I do this one...Amex Platinum 40K You can get 75k and 100k opportunities, be patient on this. I picked up a 100k offer just by calling, not saying it will work but 40k isn't a good signup for the caliber of card..... they don't waive the annual fee but with the airline credit and global entry... its 150 for an extra 60k in miles.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by shawntobi
When did you call for the 100k offer? I've hear it's harder to get the offer now. I'd like to add the 100k to my apps next week if possible.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Amex Plat was about 4 months back.... but I have seen the 75k offer more recently. For the record, they never sent me a 100k offer, I just called and said that I did. They looked and said, no I don't think we did, and then she located a different 100k offer and made it right then. No idea if its alive dead or otherwise, just 40k is small for a premium card in my opinion.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:44 pm

I'm about ready to do my semi annual AoR, mainly focusing on hotel cards and trying to get one last USAir bonus before that dies!

1. Barclay USAir
2. USBank Club Carlson
3. Chase Hyatt
4. Amex SPG
5. Chase IHG

Thoughts? Suggestions? I plan to use the 2 free Hyatt nights for the Park Hyatt Tokyo.

Last edited by adschnei; Feb 23, 2015 at 10:31 pm
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by adschnei
1. Barclay USAir
2. USBank Club Carlson
3. Chase Hyatt
4. Amex SPG
5. Chase IHG
Carlson might be difficult depending on how many apps are in your recent past, but I'm sure you already know that. I don't know if Chase will give you two personal cards, but they should combine to one hard pull, so no harm in trying. Consider the Citi or BoA offerings if you want to widen your pull. Not knowing what you want to use miles for makes it difficult to recommend anything.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: None
I am newbie here, hopefully this is the right forum to ask my question. I have been spending some time on FT. I am starting rewards journey hoping to get some free airline tickets. I don't have any business travel so mostly the points will be earned through sign-up and regular expenses. My plan is to have family of 4 travel from PHX-Hawaii, PHX-Europe or PHX-India via Europe, PHX- Florida( taking cruise) in couple of years. I have 800+ score. Can you guys advise me on which cards to pick and how many i should start with? I have already applied for Target Redbird Amex for MF to quickly get bonus miles once i get my cards. Last thing, i usually use priceline for hotel so mostly looking for airline miles. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Being phx based I'd immediately apply for the usairways card before it goes away have the spouse do the same....you'd get get 50k miles each plus the companion pass which you could use to get you to fla for the cruise this year.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by beachbrew
Being phx based I'd immediately apply for the usairways card before it goes away have the spouse do the same....you'd get get 50k miles each plus the companion pass which you could use to get you to fla for the cruise this year.
Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:06 pm

2015 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Any idea how stingy Discover is? I'm looking to add the card to my round of apps, just not sure where in the order I should place them? It looks like they pull equifax near me and so does Citi. Would they be tougher than Citi?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:20 pm

I already applied for US Airways cards and got approved. I am still looking for the info on which other cards i should apply? I have good credit so can apply 3-4 cards. At the end, want to keep one mileage card for regular use and pay less annual fees. Information is quite overwhelming in this forum and confused at this point. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:22 pm

Still need Help

Originally Posted by Nick.22
I am newbie here, hopefully this is the right forum to ask my question. I have been spending some time on FT. I am starting rewards journey hoping to get some free airline tickets. I don't have any business travel so mostly the points will be earned through sign-up and regular expenses. My plan is to have family of 4 travel from PHX-Hawaii, PHX-Europe or PHX-India via Europe, PHX- Florida( taking cruise) in couple of years. I have 800+ score. Can you guys advise me on which cards to pick and how many i should start with? I have already applied for Target Redbird Amex for MF to quickly get bonus miles once i get my cards. Last thing, i usually use priceline for hotel so mostly looking for airline miles. Thanks for your help
I already applied for US Airways cards and got approved. I am still looking for the info on which other cards i should apply? I have good credit so can apply 3-4 cards. At the end, want to keep one mileage card for regular use and pay less annual fees. Information is quite overwhelming in this forum and confused at this point. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:29 pm

I've put in the app for Citi Prestige in branch but they are going to scan it and send it off somewhere and it could take a few days to process. I use Credit Karma and Credit Sesame for monitoring, but is there a better service that gives real-time (hourly or better) alerts for hard pulls? I'd like to run the rest of my AOR around whenever the hard pull hits for this card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.