Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2015 and forward App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The Master List of credit card offers can be found on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...scription.html

A list of Flyertalk members who would appreciate "paying it forward" by using their referral links can be found here: Individual discussions of bank policies, credit cards, and pros/cons of the various programs can be found in this forum:
Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Forum
Discussions on redeeming miles and points can be found in the Airline and Hotel forums.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

2014 posts can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...e-archive.html
Print Wikipost

2015 and forward App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dajoip
I'm looking to do an AOR on Monday for the first time in almost a year (decided to calm down a bit and let everything settle). No real specific goals, except the WN CP.

Here are my choices, let me know if I've missed anything obvious. I intentionally left off the Barclays US Airways MC - I'd love to get it, but I want the CP more, and both Chase and Barclays pull TU in MI, so I don't want to risk 3 straight TU inquiries to start off (assuming Chase doesn't combine into a single pull). Plus, I have over 700k AA miles, so it's not the biggest loss, especially with the $89 AF.

My most recent scores are 772 for TU and 758 for Exp (AMEX, Citi, and BoA pull Exp in MI). TIA!

(1) Southwest Personal - 50k
(2) Southwest Business - 50k
(3) American Express Business Gold - 75k
(4) Citi Executive - 50k
(5) BoA Alaska - 25k + $100
Alright, well I guess I'm just going to go ahead with this today... looks like this thread still has a ways to go before it's really up and running
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:11 am

Just completed a miniAOR this weekend with results (in order of application):

1) Amex Gold 50k points personal -- approved
2) Chase SWA plus personal -- approved (last swa plus 2 years ago, last premier 1 year ago).
3) US Air Barclays card 50k points $89 AF not waived - Pended initially - called recon approved $10k loc

In retrospect, I should have applied for US air Barclays first as they always have required me to call in. Chase was the most generous at 25k loc. Never had amex gold but have other amex cards so we'll see if I actually get the bonus. DW only applied for amex gold, though I may get her to apply for us air barclays as well since there is no spend. With the loss of amazon payments it has gotten difficult to rack up huge spending requirements in 90 days as we don't really spend that much.

I would have liked to apply for the citi AA card, esp with the upcoming aa-us ff merger coming later this year. If anyone has a relatively easy way to meet the spend without jumping a lot of hoops I am all ears.

CK score before and after (tu/equifax both were oddly the same): 826--> 824. So I lost two points this round of apps. Barclays went TU, chase EQ. Amex I imagine went EXP but I don't have sesame to check.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Alright, well I guess I'm just going to go ahead with this today... looks like this thread still has a ways to go before it's really up and running
I ended up going 6/6, as I did actually throw in the US Airways card at the end, seeing as I'd only gotten a single TU inquiry from the two Chase apps. However, Chase actually pulled both TU and Exp, so I got an extra pull there... Also, I ended up applying for the AMEX SimplyCash Business card, instead of the Business Gold, since I couldn't get a 75k offer. Still, all in all, I'm quite happy as I value everything at over $3,800. Once the min spends are complete, I'll have:

• 104k WN + CP
  • 55k AA
  • 26k AS
  • 50k US
  • $24 (Credits/Cashback - Fees)

Last edited by dajoip; Jan 27, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by JEStarr
We are trying to go to Thailand for the Honeymoon. The points stash will be mostly wiped out by flying UA (Partner Airlines) One Way Biz, and AA (One World) the other way.
May be outdated advice but Maldives are only a few hours away and you can use a Hyatt card to score $1500/night rooms for free.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:39 pm

I'm going to apply for an auto loan this week with a CU (not from car dealership) and was wondering if I should do a mini AOR the same day as well after the loan is approved.
I did an AOR back on 9/17/14 and go the following cards:

Chase Ink Bold 16k
Chase Sapphire - charge card
Citi AA - 10.5k
Amex Plat - charge card
BoA Alaska Air - 15k
Barclay Arrival - 10k
Club Carlson - don't remember the limit (10k ish I think)
Sony Card - 7.5k

Current CC:
Disc IT, Amex Simply Cash, Amex BCP, US Bank Cash+, BoA Better Cash Rewards, Citi MC Dividend World, Citi Forward (grandfathered), Chase Freedom

Any recommendation on what other cards I should apply or any of the current ones that need closing first?
Any hotel points would be great for Hawaii or NZ trip

FICO is 779

Last edited by iceny; Jan 27, 2015 at 1:39 pm Reason: Any hotel points would be great for Hawaii or NZ trip
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
I ended up going 6/6, as I did actually throw in the US Airways card at the end, seeing as I'd only gotten a single TU inquiry from the two Chase apps. However, Chase actually pulled both TU and Exp, so I got an extra pull there... Also, I ended up applying for the AMEX SimplyCash Business card, instead of the Business Gold, since I couldn't get a 75k offer. Still, all in all, I'm quite happy as I value everything at over $3,800. Once the min spends are complete, I'll have:

• 104k WN + CP
  • 55k AA
  • 26k AS
  • 50k US
  • $24 (Credits/Cashback - Fees)
Very nice. When people tell me me they dont have the time its pretty funny. In a few mins time you got a nice score. Congrats
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by iceny
I'm going to apply for an auto loan this week with a CU (not from car dealership) and was wondering if I should do a mini AOR the same day as well after the loan is approved.
I did an AOR back on 9/17/14 and go the following cards:

Chase Ink Bold 16k
Chase Sapphire - charge card
Citi AA - 10.5k
Amex Plat - charge card
BoA Alaska Air - 15k
Barclay Arrival - 10k
Club Carlson - don't remember the limit (10k ish I think)
Sony Card - 7.5k

Current CC:
Disc IT, Amex Simply Cash, Amex BCP, US Bank Cash+, BoA Better Cash Rewards, Citi MC Dividend World, Citi Forward (grandfathered), Chase Freedom

Any recommendation on what other cards I should apply or any of the current ones that need closing first?
Any hotel points would be great for Hawaii or NZ trip

FICO is 779
There is no urgency in an AOR. The car loan inquiry will be there instantly but no account will show up until weeks after you actually buy the car. The car dealer may offer you $$$ off to finance through them. Even if you get a worse rate you can always refinance after a month or two.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:08 pm

I read somewhere that Chase bonuses are churnable 24 months AFTER the bonus is first posted, is that correct? I trust FTers more. I don't remember the actual Chase Explorer product that we had before, so I don't want to risk a HP if we've gotten the bonus before. Is the 24 month rule for ALL chase products?

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by subdawg
I read somewhere that Chase bonuses are churnable 24 months AFTER the bonus is first posted, is that correct? I trust FTers more. I don't remember the actual Chase Explorer product that we had before, so I don't want to risk a HP if we've gotten the bonus before. Is the 24 month rule for ALL chase products?

Thanks!
worked with the Sapphire Preferred for me.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Best Cards To Get After A Bankruptcy

This is probably the wrong thread to ask this, but I haven't found a better one, so hopefully either someone knows the answer, or at least can direct me to the correct thread.

A co-worker had a bankruptcy 4 years ago. Since then they have been handling their finances quite well, and just bought a $850K home, so they are doing things correctly. However, due to the BK she is being turned down for miles and points cards. All she has right now are Dept store cards, which aren't helping her credit score much at all.

Are there some cards she can get now, perhaps secured with a deposit, that will help her build up her credit again before the BK eventually drops off her CR? Especially with banks that issue airline miles and hotel points ccs, as that is what she is hoping to qualify for, so building up a credit history with them will help her the most. TIA
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tofe
worked with the Sapphire Preferred for me.
Do you need to have the cards closed for a certain period of time to get the second bonus?? I have tons of chase cards, and need to churn them. IE 24months after the points post, but then does the card need to be closed??

thanks, yes I know there is a chase thread and I contribute there but this always seems to be a point of contention.

thx,
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by shawntobi
Do you need to have the cards closed for a certain period of time to get the second bonus?? I have tons of chase cards, and need to churn them. IE 24months after the points post, but then does the card need to be closed??

thanks, yes I know there is a chase thread and I contribute there but this always seems to be a point of contention.
Edit:

AFAIK, for personal cards, yes the first card needs to be closed, I haven't heard of anyone getting a second specific card while still having one open. That being true, it obviously has to be closed long enough for the entire Chase IT system to register it as closed. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be enough data points to even guess how long that takes.

For Bus cards, it has been reported to be possible, although not easy, to have 2 Bus cards at the same time. Especially if you have a very good credit history with Chase, and maybe two different businesses.

Last edited by Brugge; Feb 1, 2015 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:28 am

Yesterday:
US Airway (50k first purchase) instant 5k

Alaska (25k first purchase) instant 15k

Amex SPG (25k after 5k/6months) instant (automatically took from other credit line) instant

Amex PRG (50k after 1k) instant

Fidelity Amex (split alaska app in half for approval after recon)

Today:
Citi Hilton Reserve (2nights after 2.5k) 5k instant

already have:
amex:
gold, everyday pref, amx BC

citi:
forward(5x), doublecash

chase:
freedom
hyatt
ink classic
ink plus

bofa:
travel rewards

barclay:
rewards crap

Going to consolidate the CL for barclay into the US Airways. What else? I also have southwest 100 statement (offset AF) and 2k spend for 50k. Also looking at CSP I already applied for 70k ink 3 months ago. What should be next on my churn list in the next 3-6 months?

EDIT:
plans:
most likely will want to travel to hawaii, nyc, japan, philippines, and india.
Planning to use 2 hyatt nights in hawaii, 2 hilton nights in nyc. Have enough for hawaii already in british airways. Was thinking the 25k + 99 companion pass for US airways to nyc. I'm located in LAX

Barclay FICO as of today 769
March - Hawaii
August - India
Sometime in Fall - NYC

Japan and Philippines not sure yet.

Last edited by trizic; Feb 3, 2015 at 11:44 am
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Are there some cards she can get now, perhaps secured with a deposit, that will help her build up her credit again before the BK eventually drops off her CR? Especially with banks that issue airline miles and hotel points ccs, as that is what she is hoping to qualify for, so building up a credit history with them will help her the most. TIA
Your friend should consider the Chase freedom (pretty low required credit) and possibly the Citi Hhonors and the Amex Everyday after that. These are the big three that she needs to build relationships with, and these are the easiest cards to get in their portfolios that are also worth something IME. Also they are all zero annual fee, so don't need to be closed.

You didn't mention your friend's FICO, that'd make a big difference.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:58 pm

However, Chase actually pulled both TU and Exp, so I got an extra pull there...
Chase have always done this for me, the same with Citi. It sucks but what choice do we have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.