Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

TD Aeroplan Visa Credit Card (USA version)

Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Update Nov. 27, 2019-- The US program is being discontinued and existing cardholders will earn "First Class Miles" as of Feb 1, 2020. Canadian residents can still apply for the Aeroplan miles earning card.

TD is known to have delays in posting miles to Aeroplan accounts. You might even see your AC# in the online pdf statements, but often this number is not in something called a "Rewards Summary" section. For thoe who apply for this card, you could call even before the first statement generates and pretend that you are not sure if you provided your AC# when filling your application. Ask them to check the "Rewards Summary" section and see if there is an AC#.

Be prepared for long hold times.
Print Wikipost

TD Aeroplan Visa Credit Card (USA version)

Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If you want to get rid of this card after the year's up, can it be converted into a Target credit card?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by msp3
If you want to get rid of this card after the year's up, can it be converted into a Target credit card?
What's the point of a Target credit card?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by mizzou1
What's the point of a Target credit card?
Likely a $0 AF that maintains the account history for AAoA calculated by CRAs with the possibility of enabling applying for the Aeroplan Visa again (since once the 1st one is a Target credit card, the customer is no longer a current Aeroplan cardmember & more likely to get the bonus again). That's often the point of product conversions.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Likely a $0 AF that maintains the account history for AAoA calculated by CRAs with the possibility of enabling applying for the Aeroplan Visa again (since once the 1st one is a Target credit card, the customer is no longer a current Aeroplan cardmember & more likely to get the bonus again). That's often the point of product conversions.
Answered my own question. Apparently the Target card is a "retail" card and TD won't change any of their credit cards into anything like that. The Target Visa is also dead (?), only debit card linked to bank account or a department store credit card available.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:04 pm

I was approved for this card on my second attempt. this time i did it as the first card in my app-o-rama. i think this made the difference as last time i did it as my last card in the churn and i was rejected for too many inquiries.
this approval was instant but not sure what the credit line is yet.
in any case excited for LH F!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
I finally applied (and was approved) for this card last month. A few questions for those with the card that I haven't seen elsewhere:

1) Does (a) the bonus and (b) the spending on this card count toward distinction? (all the answers seem to relate to the Canadian card and the application page details are a bit unclear)

2) What is the EMV priority on this card? Chip-and-signature with no on-line or off-line PIN priority?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
1) Does (a) the bonus and (b) the spending on this card count toward distinction? (all the answers seem to relate to the Canadian card and the application page details are a bit unclear)
Bonus doesn't, but spend does count toward distinction.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:51 pm

My TD US Aeroplan 25k bonus did count for distinction, but that was back in March (approved Jan or Feb). Things could change since then

My TD Canada Aeroplan bonus did not count for distinction
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
What is your source?

Originally Posted by crimsona
My TD US Aeroplan 25k bonus did count for distinction, but that was back in March (approved Jan or Feb). Things could change since then

Thanks for the datapoint.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

2) What is the EMV priority on this card? Chip-and-signature with no on-line or off-line PIN priority?
Online PIN support for cash advances only. Purchases are Signature and No CVM. No PIN support for purchases. Card also does not have Contactless unlike the Canadian version.

The card has 3% FTF so not the best to use for non US purchases either.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Has anyone tried to/had any experience churning this card yet or any data points on TD churning in general? My AF is due this winter and I am deciding if I should cancel now and reapply after 12 month from application mark.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by D582
Online PIN support for cash advances only. Purchases are Signature and No CVM. No PIN support for purchases. Card also does not have Contactless unlike the Canadian version.

The card has 3% FTF so not the best to use for non US purchases either.
This card seems like a bit of a tough sell for its assumed target market.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:01 am

What do you think is their target market? I'm not sure either, but as a Canadian, this card has been a godsend

There are less than a handful of credit cards in Canada that waived forex fees, so if we wanted to shop in the US, it'd be in cash, or with one of those cards, or a Canadian domiciled USD card with no rewards

This TD card not only gave another 25k miles (matching the Canadian bonus), they're very open towards Canadian applicants, which conveniently gives me a US domiciled card (Newegg comes to mind, and gas pumps in some states) and a sink towards using my existing USD rather than exchanging it at the poor current exchange rates.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
What do you think is their target market? I'm not sure either, but as a Canadian, this card has been a godsend

There are less than a handful of credit cards in Canada that waived forex fees, so if we wanted to shop in the US, it'd be in cash, or with one of those cards, or a Canadian domiciled USD card with no rewards

This TD card not only gave another 25k miles (matching the Canadian bonus), they're very open towards Canadian applicants, which conveniently gives me a US domiciled card (Newegg comes to mind, and gas pumps in some states) and a sink towards using my existing USD rather than exchanging it at the poor current exchange rates.
My original thought was that their target market was Americans who happen to fly Air Canada (or prefer Aeroplan as their *A frequent flyer program), and that in such a case, those people would more likely find themselves overseas, possibly in places that don't like PIN-less cards very much.

However, if you flip it around and say that it is in fact aimed at Canadians who need an easy-to-get US-issued card that earns rewards, then it makes more sense.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:47 am

My experience differed (I met my min. spend and my statement has closed and bonus points posted).

My experience matched the following (for the USA card):

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.