Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Thank You Card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Citi Thank You Card

I realize that I was crazy when I canceled my Citi Thank You card, no annual fee back in 04/2014. Now that I realize that I should have kept that account so that my history with them is good and can allow me to get approval for future cc easier.

I just recently applied for AA card and approved for $8000 credit line. This was done this month November 18, 2014. The question is, should I apply for the ThankYou card again with the sign up bonus and this time just to keep it to create history with Citi? or this history creation thing is not really necessary?

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Yes, you should not have closed the no AF card. Are you wanting "history creation" so that an issuer likes you more or so your credit score goes up? On the credit score side, what you're looking for is Average Age of Accounts (AAoA). Opening new accounts always lowers your AAoA, but in the long term, having more accounts means opening new ones doesn't lower it as much. In terms of an issuer liking you for a long history, don't worry about that.

In the end, apply for the TY card if the sign up bonus is worth it. If you just want to improve your credit history long term, go for the best sign up bonus you can get.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by dukerau
In terms of an issuer liking you for a long history, don't worry about that.
Could you please elaborate on that. I've come to realize during the last couple months that - except for American Express - all the new card apps got me a higher CL than the ones I used to have with that issuer before.

E.g. Chase old card $6k - new card $12k, Barclay old card $5k - new card $10k, Citi old card $2k - new card $3k etc.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
Could you please elaborate on that. I've come to realize during the last couple months that - except for American Express - all the new card apps got me a higher CL than the ones I used to have with that issuer before.

E.g. Chase old card $6k - new card $12k, Barclay old card $5k - new card $10k, Citi old card $2k - new card $3k etc.
Sorry, my sentence didn't convey the sentiment I meant. I meant that you shouldn't try to build a history with a specific issuer. The logic being that many have maximum # of cards or exposure $, so you'll cap out anyway. However, to your point, that could be a function of the looser credit standards now vs 5 years ago. When did you get the "old" cards?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by dukerau
When did you get the "old" cards?
Thanks for the clarification. We started as newcomers in the U.S. about 3.5 years ago. So the oldest cards (Quicksilver, Freedom, Discover) are ~2.5-3 years. The newest ones have been opened between July and this last weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.