Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Was this a bad idea? (Authorised user isn't real)

Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:50 am
Original Poster

So, my legal name isn't actually Alex, but Alex is the name I use. I hate it at restaurants when they read the name on the card (my legal name) and say "have a nice day -my legal name that I hate-" - knowing that some card companies allow authorised users with no evidence that is a legal person, I got online and tried - only Bank of America and American Express wanted a SSN. The others let me just type in Alex and get an authorised user card.

Will these banks (Discover, Citi, Barclay's, Chase) try to add this to a credit report, realise Alex isn't a legal person and is just the name I normally use, and take adverse action? I know I probably should have tried just one instead of going for all four but I'm like "okay, I'm sick of this credit-card-has-legal-name thing, I'm taking care of this now" - it's too late obviously, but do you all foresee any issues?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's pretty cheeky for anyone to call you by your first name without being invited to, but a little silly to go to the length you did to avoid it. Just develop a steely glare and correct them by saying "It's MISTER MT." You'll be doing them a favor.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Where I live, using Mr/Miss legal name would be considered too formal and itself possibly insulting. I get called Mr/Miss very rarely (and I laugh, you'd have to meet me to understand why, but it's basically a 50/50 split between Mr and Miss when it does happen...).
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Consider a legal name change?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
I might, frankly I'm not too worried about this being a problem except with Barclay's... I've heard they're picky about stuff... wishing I hadn't requested the AU with Barclay's...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:10 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

What's your given name?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by bigshooter
What's your given name?
Alexander?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by alexmt
I might, frankly I'm not too worried about this being a problem except with Barclay's... I've heard they're picky about stuff... wishing I hadn't requested the AU with Barclay's...
Well, if you "hate" your legal name, this goes far beyong Barclays.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:12 am

Have you considered changing your legal name if it bothers you?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Bttc
Have you considered changing your legal name if it bothers you?
Changing your name legally is not expensive and easy to do. You can go to a court house on your own or hire a lawyer.
Good luck. Alexander is a great name though.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by alexmt
So, my legal name isn't actually Alex, but Alex is the name I use. I hate it at restaurants when they read the name on the card (my legal name) and say "have a nice day -my legal name that I hate-" - knowing that some card companies allow authorised users with no evidence that is a legal person, I got online and tried - only Bank of America and American Express wanted a SSN. The others let me just type in Alex and get an authorised user card.

Will these banks (Discover, Citi, Barclay's, Chase) try to add this to a credit report, realise Alex isn't a legal person and is just the name I normally use, and take adverse action? I know I probably should have tried just one instead of going for all four but I'm like "okay, I'm sick of this credit-card-has-legal-name thing, I'm taking care of this now" - it's too late obviously, but do you all foresee any issues?
What does it matter anyway? You can ask to have it removed from your credit report anyway it isn't your card and your not responsible for it.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
What does it matter anyway? You can ask to have it removed from your credit report anyway it isn't your card and your not responsible for it.
I don't think you read my post I said I wanted a card under the name I actually use. Not the opposite. Anyway it seems it'll be no problem some people have their cats with Chase lol.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:30 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I find they usually call me by my last name actually as that is more polite
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Legal Name Change

Originally Posted by 747FC
The process of getting the legal name change is easy - I did it a while ago. No lawyer was required in my state. But then you have to change EVERYTHING ELSE - social security, drivers license, passport, credit cards, frequent flyer/hotel programs, etc...

I didn't have to change those things for the legal name change because I was simply changing the birth certificate to finally match DL, SS and credit cards. But when I got married a few years later, I had to change everything and that was very time-consuming.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I guess I don't see the problem.

I also do not like my given name, and have not used it since I was about 10 years old. Half of my credit cards have the name I use, and the other half have my legal given name.

My drivers license and passport have my given name.

Alex, have I misunderstood your question?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.