FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Buying an iPhone, which credit card to use (for extended warranty) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1624490-buying-iphone-credit-card-use-extended-warranty.html)

DaveInLA Oct 29, 2014 12:27 pm

Buying an iPhone, which credit card to use (for extended warranty)

I'm going to order an iPhone 6, going to have to pay full price ($800 or so). I'm undecided on whether I should use my AMEX Blue card (currently only 0.5% cash back) or my Ink Plus (1 UR point/$). Both extended warranty by 1 year, so on paper, it makes sense to use the Ink. However, I think I heard somewhere that AMEX gives the least amount of hassle when it comes to actually claiming that extra warranty. FWIW, one of the bloggers recently posted an experience with just this on his iPhone that he purchased with the Ink, and things went smoothly. Any other accounts?

I Love to Travel Oct 29, 2014 1:22 pm

I have one experience with each:

1. Amex plat - laptop died shortly after warranty ended. (cost approx. $400). I made one call to Amex and in 24 hours, the credit for the original purchase price showed up on my account. They didn't ask for anything.

2. Chase Ink Plus - ipod lost on a flight. (cost approx. $160) After the airline was unable to locate it, I filed a claim with Chase. From the time I filed the claim, it took 4 months to get the claim paid. In that time, I had to make many phone calls, write letters, respond to denials, etc. It was a pain, but they eventually paid the claim.

For me, I will use Amex for such things now. Others may have different experiences.

DaveInLA Oct 29, 2014 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by I Love to Travel (Post 23758680)
I have one experience with each:

1. Amex plat - laptop died shortly after warranty ended. (cost approx. $400). I made one call to Amex and in 24 hours, the credit for the original purchase price showed up on my account. They didn't ask for anything.

2. Chase Ink Plus - ipod lost on a flight. (cost approx. $160) After the airline was unable to locate it, I filed a claim with Chase. From the time I filed the claim, it took 4 months to get the claim paid. In that time, I had to make many phone calls, write letters, respond to denials, etc. It was a pain, but they eventually paid the claim.

For me, I will use Amex for such things now. Others may have different experiences.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you think this is more a reflection of AMEX vs Chase, or the fact that the Chase claim was a loss rather than a broken item?

trikotret Oct 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Based on my experience with warranty and dispute claims, I always found amex easier than chase. I did try both cards too.

biggestbopper Oct 29, 2014 4:33 pm

I have had several claims over the years with Amex and Visa (Chase & Citi).

Amex is far, far easier to deal with.

My policy now is anything that may need a warranty or repair claim goes on Amex.

MilesTalk Oct 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Buying an iPhone, which credit card to use (for extended warranty)

That's a solid policy. Mine too.

floressalicis Oct 29, 2014 5:59 pm

While Amex claims process is much easier to deal with than Chase (which is run through Visa/MC), you may want to check your Amex cards since the coverage per claim and total claim value paid out per year is different. For example, Platinum carries a higher amount both per claim and total for the year that it will pay out vs even other cards with annual fees (e.g. Starwood).

I Love to Travel Oct 29, 2014 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 23759424)
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you think this is more a reflection of AMEX vs Chase, or the fact that the Chase claim was a loss rather than a broken item?

Not sure. The problem I was having was that, while most of the Chase agents agreed losses were covered (the benefits guide I had supported this), they kept requesting a police report. Why would I file a police report for a lost item? So, they kept denying my claim. Some agents claimed that losses were not covered - even though I submitted the appropriate pages from the guide proving that losses were covered. Eventually, probably through pure luck, I was able to get the claim processed correctly. It was a pretty poor experience for me.

I think the main difference was Chase (or the agency they use) kept making me run through hoops for the $160, while Amex just turned around and issued a $400 statement credit... When I asked if they wanted me to ship them the laptop, the agent just told me to just dispose of it.

I'm replacing my Ipad soon and the new one will be paid for with Amex.

cotr Oct 30, 2014 11:37 am

Here is my detailed thread on getting 99$ from CSP.