Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

how long do removed late payments remain on credit report?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Hi guys, curious about something since this is the first time I've had to deal with it....from the app-o-rama I did with my parents, there appeared to be one leftover card, the US Airways dividend MasterCard, that they forgot to cancel.

There were no charges on it for close to a year, then the annual fee was posted, and since we thought we cancelled it, it was never paid. Well, because of that, late fees/delinquents kept getting posted and filed against it since this summer, Today morning, they called my mom, and she found out what had happened...they had ended up charging like over $200+ worth of late fees cumulatively, and it was reported to the credit bureaus each month as a late payment/delinquent account.

Thankfully, she explained what happened, and they removed all the charges, cancelled the card, and changed the status of the account/reported the change to the bureaus.

However, the rep told her that it will take *6 months* for the delinquent accounts to disappear from her credit report/score.

Is this actually accurate or does the rep not know what she was talking about? I was under the impression that if they report it to the bureaus, it should be updated effective immediately or at the latest, within next month.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:39 am

Snail mail is your best bet. Write a nice letter recapping the the situation asking the negative remarks be removed.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
Snail mail is your best bet. Write a nice letter recapping the the situation asking the negative remarks be removed.
Shouldn't they be automatically removed if the credit card company lets them know that the account is no longer delinquent?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

You need to follow up, because it isn't delinquent anymore can also mean you paid the late charges etc. not that they are saying it was never late.
As stated above a letter nicely reexplaining the situation and asking for the negative info to be removed is your best approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.