Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What credit cards should I apply for?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Question What credit cards should I apply for?

For ever and ever I have had one credit card, Chase Freedom, and never seen any reason to have more until now.....LOL. I live in Chicago and would like to work toward taking my family to Hawaii. Can anybody help me when it comes to what CC I should start applying for. TIA for the help.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

How many in your family? Must you all travel on the same flights, or can you split into two (or more) groups? How soon do you want to travel to Hawaii? If it's within the next 330 days, you can check award-seat availability right now on aa.com (which will show availability on AS, HA, and US, as well), delta.com, and united.com.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Hi guv1976. I am starting out slow. So my goal will be when I acquire more points. Definitely a year or so from now. I did apply for the Chase Sapphire and met minimum spend and received my points on that card. We are a family of 4 and we do not have to travel on the same flights. I was just wondering which cards I should apply for next. It seems that it would not be a good idea to put all my MSing on one card.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
You might already know this, but don't forget about your spouse applying for credit cards, too. You are allowed to claim household income on your application. I would first start looking at any cards cards that feed into AA or UA programs and that includes Chase URs and Amex SPG as well as actual AA or UA cards. Delta is also an option with Amex cards as the partner. Many people deride Delta Skymiles for their lack of Saver Awards, however, AA and UA (own metal) have become just about as tough to find within the last year or so. We have a family of five and have never had to split up onto different flights while traveling in economy.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I would concentrate on acquiring AA and UA miles. Look at the FT credit-card forums for the latest deals on Citi/AA credit cards, Barclays/US credit cards (US Dividend Miles are expected to be converted to AA miles in 2015), and Chase/UA credit cards.

If your spouse is credit worthy, then each of you can get a card and get the sign-up bonus, as long as each of you can meet the minimum spend requirement. And you can each apply at different times, to space out the spend requirements.

In addition to the Citi/AA cards, the SPG Amex card earns Starwood points, which can be converted to AA miles. But the Amex/SPG card rarely has a great sign-up bonus.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Thank you everybody for your responses....I really appreciate it. It gives me a starting point. Have a blessed day!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Sorry to complicate things, but many folks on FT these days find that Hotel awards are often easier to get and more valuable than Airline rewards. So you may want to do a quick review of whether it would be easier for you to get the hotel free via CCs and pay for the airfare as opposed to the other way around. Every situation is different so there is no right or wrong answer.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Bosman.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by bosman
So you may want to do a quick review of whether it would be easier for you to get the hotel free via CCs and pay for the airfare as opposed to the other way around. Every situation is different so there is no right or wrong answer.
Why make it an either/or...go for both the airline tkts AND the hotel
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If the OP is ok paying for some tickets, check out the AS card, as it grants both miles and an annual $99 companion certificate. This can greatly reduce overall costs.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Swale2010
For ever and ever I have had one credit card, Chase Freedom, and never seen any reason to have more until now.....LOL. I live in Chicago and would like to work toward taking my family to Hawaii. Can anybody help me when it comes to what CC I should start applying for. TIA for the help.
Let's try the dedicated credit card forum for this topic.

Thanks

~Moderator, Information Desk.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:36 pm

One of the bloggers (MMS) suggested to use Korean Air miles because its new Skyteam redemption table shows that you need 25,000 miles within North America, and Hawaii is considered as North America.

You can transfer Chase UR points to Korean Air miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.