Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Apple Pay and Rewards Network (Dining for Miles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay and Rewards Network (Dining for Miles)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 7:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by tmiw
So yeah, if you're willing to jump through some hoops Apple Pay will indeed work with the airline dining programs. When I get home I can post some instructions on getting the full DANs for those interested. ^
Would appreciate it very much.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stanj
Would appreciate it very much.
Here you go. Hopefully this helps!

Disclaimer: Like with any other aspect of churning/points earning, this carries risks (known and unknown). I'm not responsible for any adverse action Rewards Network, your FF program or your card issuer may take as a result of following these instructions.

Part 1: Reading your card number
  1. Purchase a USB RFID/NFC reader from Amazon or your favorite store (the one I'm using is
    this this
    but it appears to be discontinued; other similar ones should work). Install the drivers for it for your operating system.
  2. Download a program called cardpeek and install it on your computer. Plug your card reader in and then start the application.
  3. It should look something like this; choose the card reader you have plugged in. Say Yes if it asks to download updates.
  4. Choose Analyzer->EMV and place the phone over the reader. For Apple Pay you'll need to authenticate with your finger/thumbprint before it will transmit any card info. For the Android solutions it should be enough to unlock your phone's display, but you may have to enter a PIN depending on your settings.
  5. If cardpeek asks to send GET PROCESSING OPTIONS, choose Yes.
  6. Once it's done scanning, a whole bunch of data will come up. You want to look for something called "Track 2 Equivalent Data". The first 16 digits of it (15 if American Express) is the card number that you're going to add in Part 2 below. The last four digits of that should be equivalent to the Device Account Number shown in Passbook if you use Apple Pay.
Part 2: Adding to Rewards Network
  1. Log into your preferred Rewards Network site.
  2. Click on the Account Information tab if you're not directed there and then click on "Add a card".
  3. Choose the card type and then enter the number you found in Part 1 above.

WARNING for non-Apple Pay users: the card type you selected to use is likely not going to be the same as what's transmitted. This is especially important for Google Wallet users, as it uses a virtual MasterCard even if you have a Visa/AmEx/Discover card added on your phone. General rule of thumb is to check the first digit of the transmitted card number: 4 is generally Visa, 5 is MasterCard, 3 is American Express and 6 is Discover.

4. Agree to the terms and conditions and push Save. You're all set.
Things to keep in mind

Not everywhere in the US can take NFC right now, not even close. However, this is definitely improving over time.

Also, the numbers transmitted are not guaranteed to stay the same for a significant period of time. I think Google Wallet's changes occasionally but I don't know how often. Apple Pay's should stay the same unless you restore/wipe your phone or otherwise delete and re-add your cards to it, or if you have to report your physical card/phone as lost or stolen. You may want to repeat Part 1 again occasionally and compare the last four digits to what's on the Rewards Network site to make sure nothing changed; RN will not automatically update them.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Thank you, that's a big help. I ordered a reader and have downloaded cardpeek. Will try it out.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by stanj
Thank you, that's a big help. I ordered a reader and have downloaded cardpeek. Will try it out.
Which reader did you order if you don't mind me asking?
Old May 31, 2015, 8:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by t325
Which reader did you order if you don't mind me asking?
I got this dual interface one from
HID HID
. Still waiting for it to be delivered, so can't comment on how well it works.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
is this still what has to be done to get Apple Pay to play with rewards dining? Sounds beyond complicated :-/

Disclaimer: Like with any other aspect of churning/points earning, this carries risks (known and unknown). I'm not responsible for any adverse action Rewards Network, your FF program or your card issuer may take as a result of following these instructions.

Part 1: Reading your card number
  1. Purchase a USB RFID/NFC reader from Amazon or your favorite store (the one I'm using is this but it appears to be discontinued; other similar ones should work). Install the drivers for it for your operating system.
  2. Download a program called cardpeek and install it on your computer. Plug your card reader in and then start the application.
  3. It should look something like this; choose the card reader you have plugged in. Say Yes if it asks to download updates.
  4. Choose Analyzer->EMV and place the phone over the reader. For Apple Pay you'll need to authenticate with your finger/thumbprint before it will transmit any card info. For the Android solutions it should be enough to unlock your phone's display, but you may have to enter a PIN depending on your settings.
  5. If cardpeek asks to send GET PROCESSING OPTIONS, choose Yes.
  6. Once it's done scanning, a whole bunch of data will come up. You want to look for something called "Track 2 Equivalent Data". The first 16 digits of it (15 if American Express) is the card number that you're going to add in Part 2 below. The last four digits of that should be equivalent to the Device Account Number shown in Passbook if you use Apple Pay.
Part 2: Adding to Rewards Network
  1. Log into your preferred Rewards Network site.
  2. Click on the Account Information tab if you're not directed there and then click on "Add a card".
  3. Choose the card type and then enter the number you found in Part 1 above.

WARNING for non-Apple Pay users: the card type you selected to use is likely not going to be the same as what's transmitted. This is especially important for Google Wallet users, as it uses a virtual MasterCard even if you have a Visa/AmEx/Discover card added on your phone. General rule of thumb is to check the first digit of the transmitted card number: 4 is generally Visa, 5 is MasterCard, 3 is American Express and 6 is Discover.

4. Agree to the terms and conditions and push Save. You're all set.
Things to keep in mind

Not everywhere in the US can take NFC right now, not even close. However, this is definitely improving over time.

Also, the numbers transmitted are not guaranteed to stay the same for a significant period of time. I think Google Wallet's changes occasionally but I don't know how often. Apple Pay's should stay the same unless you restore/wipe your phone or otherwise delete and re-add your cards to it, or if you have to report your physical card/phone as lost or stolen. You may want to repeat Part 1 again occasionally and compare the last four digits to what's on the Rewards Network site to make sure nothing changed; RN will not automatically update them.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Juanefny
is this still what has to be done to get Apple Pay to play with rewards dining? Sounds beyond complicated :-/
Actually, you should be able to add your physical card as normal now and it'll pick up any Apple Pay transactions as well.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Actually, you should be able to add your physical card as normal now and it'll pick up any Apple Pay transactions as well.
This is working for me, whether I use the physical card or Apple Pay, I get the dining credits.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
This is working for me, whether I use the physical card or Apple Pay, I get the dining credits.
I have mostly gotten credit. For a couple with United through ApplePay, I have received the email you get shortly after dining, but the actual miles never posted. Haven't been able to spot a pattern (such as watch card vs. phone card). I also feel like the increasing use of third party platforms like toast to support kiosks and QR code order-at-your-table has made things a little sketchier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.