Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Type of identification required if using USA credit card in UK or Irish Republic?

Type of identification required if using USA credit card in UK or Irish Republic?

Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
I always keep my passport in the hotel safe and always carry my driver's license and copy of my passport. The copy of the passport isn't so much as ID for purchases, it's more of just security in case my passport gets lost... I'll have all the information should I need a replacement. Plus I print emergency information on the back. I know... so I'm paranoid!!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:24 pm
In memoriam

I've been using credit cards overseas for over 40 years.

No one has ever, ever asked me for ID.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by thedavebloke
... I was surprised that I had to provide photo ID when I was in Nth America a number of years ago and handed over my CC. That seems a lot more secure than what happens here.

Oh, and if you buy items > 100 or so, keep the receipt and item in your carry on bags at the airport so that you can reclaim the tax back (VAT/tax in UK is 20%). You can search online for 'VAT reclaim uk' for more information.
I think it's actually required per Visa/MC to ask for ID, but not 100% sure on that.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: *A
If OP doesn't have a Chip and Pin card then ID will be requested. Every time. I use my DL just fine.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
You can get the US Passport Card for $30 dollars.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by sds1493
If OP doesn't have a Chip and Pin card then ID will be requested. Every time. I use my DL just fine.
Really? I've used my credit card in the UK a lot and have never had ID requested?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I think I've been asked for ID only one or two times. Always used my drivers license since I never carry my passport with me
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
A passport card sounds like a good investment. Could keep my passport in the hotel safe and still have an acceptable form of ID. Plus it would give me peace of mind at TSA checkpoints too. I have a drivers license from new mexico and it seems like every so often in the news that I hear about that drivers license no longer being acceptable ID due to the Real ID act or something.

I do have a chip and signature card that I will be using. I guess I can bring my passport along with me, just store it in my money belt or neck wallet, whichever I decide to get.

I don't think I will be buying anything expensive to claim VAT. Just a pub meal and a game ticket to England vs Slovenia at Wembley.

My biggest fear is not really being robbed (Save that fear for when I redeem some leftover miles to Rio De Janiero next year) but being scammed as an American tourist. What if I order a pub meal, then the check comes and the place says their credit card machine is not working, and I have no pounds on me. I have heard that some restaurants and stores claim that their credit card reader is not working in an effort to steer the customer into paying cash in order to avoid processing fees. Then when the customer threatens to leave the reader is magically working again. Obviously I would be in a tight spot if I eat the meal first, then the bill comes and they won't take my card and I have no cash on me. I can't just threaten to leave because I have already eaten without paying. I guess to avoid that situation I will be sure to ask if they accept Visa before entering the restaurant.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by alexmt
Really? I've used my credit card in the UK a lot and have never had ID requested?
I've used my Chase and Citi cards in Sainsburys and Tesco. Every time an alert comes on the screen requiring my signature to be verified. This is even for low value purchases.
It could be that other stores just ignore the prompt and don't verify (which tbh is what most places did before the invention of C&P).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by sds1493
I've used my Chase and Citi cards in Sainsburys and Tesco. Every time an alert comes on the screen requiring my signature to be verified. This is even for low value purchases.
It could be that other stores just ignore the prompt and don't verify (which tbh is what most places did before the invention of C&P).
Signature, not ID.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.