Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

679 Score - Planning to travel in less than a year. - How do I go about churning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

679 Score - Planning to travel in less than a year. - How do I go about churning?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:23 am

You gotta get that score up before you can hang with the true credit card churners.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by skibum7732
You are sadly mistaken if you believe that 679, or even 720, is a GOOD score
Then what do you call a score that allows me to get all of the credit cards I have wanted in the last year? Apparently it is good enough for churning.

Originally Posted by yukon50
You gotta get that score up before you can hang with the true credit card churners.
What is the definition of "True Churner"? Some people think a few cards a year is churning. I'm around a dozen which I consider moderate, yet gets me all of the travel perks I want without having to resort to MS. I was at 20+ back when 0% BT offers were lucrative, but don't care to push it too far these days, and again, I get what I want.

As for the OP, you are probably ready to dip your toes in the water and see what happens. Go for your #1 and #2 card to start. Best case you get approved. Worst case you get denied and your score drops ~10 points due to the hard pulls (and this may not affect all three bureaus, depending on who they decide to pull). If you get denied, wait six months so the hard pulls age and clean up other parts of your report. Credit Karma can help see the trends in your score, but in no way take their number as gospel. I have seen my true score and CK 100 points apart, and have never seen it higher than my true score. Average is probably my true score is CK+50. My personal conspiracy theory is that these free services (and even the paid FAKO) intentionally model your score to be lower than actual so you keep paying for their services thinking you need them to improve your credit. No evidence on that other than my own data points though.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 am

Credit Karma also offers a Vantage score (500 to 990 scale). What do you have there? Also, sign up for Credit Sesame (free) and see what they give you.

You may well need to actually buy your FICO score to see what it is, and how good/bad your situation is. At your current score, you're going to have to be very careful churning. You definitely can't do the 3 rounds of 4 you've proposed.

As has been mentioned, we need more info. What's your history like? Any other cards or accounts in your past? Any reason your score is so low? Have you been denied for credit before? CK should give you pretty much all of this information - past accounts, AAoA, utilization, late payments, derogatory remarks, etc.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by tev9999
Churning and looking for mortgages/low loan rates do not go together. If you will be shopping for a mortgage, you should back way off on churning. If you are not shopping for a mortgage, might as well abuse that good credit score for profit.

Of course there is no exact answer. I've opened 10 cards this year with nine approvals (got sloppy and hit Chase too soon) for about $90K of new credit. The 9th was a PenFed visa for 5% gas and a true chip and pin card, instant approved for $5500 in August. Every week I get e-mails practically begging me to take my pre-approved $35K car loan at sub 2% - even though I already have a car loan with them for $27K. Last app was a Chase Southwest card on a whim to grab 50K points. Instantly approved for $15K, even though I have about 70% utilization on a Chase Slate with a 0% BT. Seems that the banks are willing to overlook my 725 FICO (670 FAKO) and other shenanigans since I am a long established customer with a perfect payment record.
What you said about Chase Slate and utilization: Thank you. That encourages me to go for the GOLD on another WN VISA. I've had great hesitation.

BTW, free tip.

If you are a multiple Chase card holder and you also have a SLATE, take a hit in your other Chase CLs and transfer CL portions over to Slate. Especially if the Slate is the current balance 0% go to account that is now stagnant. While you are paying off your other cards, month to month, you'll be reducing your CL utilization there and improving the credit score for better future planning.

Last edited by jan_believes; Oct 1, 2014 at 10:16 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I think the problem is with using the "churner" reference.

Seems to me, the OP simply wants to plan a trip. How extravagant it should be is in his mind, and ultimately will require a plan that may adjust as he embarks upon this credit line/card journey for points, miles, CB. Ultimately, it comes down to management to make it happen.

Getting away from churning for a minute, if you want to get a card with that CS and take a quick hit until utilization kicks in (use it for the bonus, pay it off, sock drawer it), go for Chase Freedom. This doesn't advance your travel hopes but opens the way to get to the travel cards you want to achieve your ultimate goal. Then, move on to Amex travel rewards or United MP/Citi AA or Barclay Arrival. Even US MC is fairly easy right now but remember the merger will play a role soon.

BTW, I say Chase Freedom, based on experience. There are other similar quick bonus cards out there, but others will have to share their experiences. I have to say Chase has been easier than I could have imagined. I can't speak to Sapphire. I have wanted it but haven't been approved (but I have A LOT of Chase cards).

PS. One thing that is overlooked is that I think banks are almost giving away credit cards right now because the market for them is not producing the profits they had during the housing bubble. They are going for the profits through consumers hoping to snag the interest profits long term. That, of course, is avoidable by the consumer. So, lower credit scores are also winning in the game because they are approving applicants with the long term standard APRs of 19.99% and higher. They think it will work even with a 0% APR intro.

Last edited by jan_believes; Oct 1, 2014 at 10:17 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by jan_believes
What you said about Chase Slate and utilization: Thank you. That encourages me to go for the GOLD on another WN VISA. I've had great hesitation.

BTW, free tip.

If you are a multiple Chase card holder and you also have a SLATE, take a hit in your other Chase CLs and transfer CL portions over to Slate. Especially if the Slate is the current balance 0% go to account that is now stagnant. While you are paying off your other cards, month to month, you'll be reducing your CL utilization there and improving the credit score for better future planning.
Actually Chase e-mailed me about moving lines after they approved me - that shocked me as I thought they were one of the ones that would not allow transferring a line to a 0% offer card back in the heyday of BT AoRs. I had just paid off the required bonus spend on my IHG card, so I moved most of that line.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG, Marriott, Carlson, AAdvantage, BC US Air, CapitalOne VentureOne
Sorry about the extremely late response, but I really do appreciate all the advice... Despite the fact that I'm stubborn and bull headed and I've went against most of it. My wife says that I have only child syndrome. I always cry and stomp my feet until I get what I want. lol

Results:

It turns out that I have lucked out! (maybe my CK score was lower than actual)

I applied for 5 cards and got approved for all:
-Barclays US Air
-Chase Marriott Rewards
-US Bank Club Carlson
-Citi AAdvantage
-Capital One VentureOne

That initially dropped my CK score from 679 to 670. Then I figured out why my score was so low. I had a $20 late payment that had been floating for about 6 months that I had NO clue about on a 0% interest Firestone card I opened and paid off in full 1 day late, to repair my car. I called the creditor and they promised to remove the hit from my credit reports.

After that, my CK score rocketed up to 754. Since then it has fallen to 747.

All this success is really encouraging. My original plan was to do 2 more 5 card AOR's. But, now I am wondering if I should try for even more cards on my next AOR? I will definitely be applying for better cards next time, that's for sure.

I know people have told me that I need a solid travel plan. Unfortunately, that's against my leisure travel methodology. I refuse! I like to plan things by the seat of my pants as much as possible. I hate pre-planned trips. I do have regions of the world that I plan to spend time in. Mainly, eastern europe, SE Asia and South America. So, my plan is to use a nice variety of airlines cards that are part of the large alliances and hotel cards that are international. Also, I plan to sign up for the bank cards with transferable rewards.

Thanks for all the responses. But, my questions have now changed. My main question is, how many cards should I go for next AOR?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by minerman
Sorry about the extremely late response, but I really do appreciate all the advice... Despite the fact that I'm stubborn and bull headed and I've went against most of it. My wife says that I have only child syndrome. I always cry and stomp my feet until I get what I want. lol

Results:

-Barclays US Air
-Chase Marriott Rewards
-US Bank Club Carlson
-Citi AAdvantage
-Capital One VentureOne

That initially dropped my CK score from 679 to 670. Then I figured out why my score was so low. I had a $20 late payment that had been floating for about 6 months that I had NO clue about on a 0% interest Firestone card I opened and paid off in full 1 day late, to repair my car. I called the creditor and they promised to remove the hit from my credit reports.

All this success is really encouraging. My original plan was to do 2 more 5 card AOR's. But, now I am wondering if I should try for even more cards on my next AOR? I will definitely be applying for better cards next time, that's for sure.

I know people have told me that I need a solid travel plan. Unfortunately, that's against my leisure travel methodology. I refuse! I like to plan things by the seat of my pants as much as possible. I hate pre-planned trips. I do have regions of the world that I plan to spend time in. Mainly, eastern europe, SE Asia and South America. So, my plan is to use a nice variety of airlines cards that are part of the large alliances and hotel cards that are international. Also, I plan to sign up for the bank cards with transferable rewards.

Thanks for all the responses. But, my questions have now changed. My main question is, how many cards should I go for next AOR?

Up to you , but you should always start slow and for a little while just use a particular card for daily use and build some positive history over some time, and go from there
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I know for several people if they're planning on using award flights (using miles) they start planning 330 days in advance to see if they're awards will open up. You might be disappointed if you accumulate enough miles, but decide you want to go on a trip in a month, and then can't use the miles to find an award. Just a heads up.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mh1361
I know for several people if they're planning on using award flights (using miles) they start planning 330 days in advance to see if they're awards will open up. You might be disappointed if you accumulate enough miles, but decide you want to go on a trip in a month, and then can't use the miles to find an award. Just a heads up.
Yeah, I absolutely have that in mind. I'll just plan my travel around the availability and remain 100% flexible. I'm assuming with a couple of weeks notice, I will be able to use the rewards to go somewhere/anywhere. Even if it's not the destination that I had in mind. No big deal. I'm kind of going into this trip with the mindset that I'd enjoy going anywhere that isn't likely to become a war zone.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Yeah, I absolutely have that in mind. I'll just plan my travel around the availability and remain 100% flexible. I'm assuming with a couple of weeks notice, I will be able to use the rewards to go somewhere/anywhere. Even if it's not the destination that I had in mind. No big deal. I'm kind of going into this trip with the mindset that I'd enjoy going anywhere that isn't likely to become a war zone.
Another heads up, AA charges a $75 fee if booking an award less than 21 days in advance.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mh1361
Another heads up, AA charges a $75 fee if booking an award less than 21 days in advance.
Ahh, now that is annoying. Thanks for that heads up. I had no idea. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to book them for my initial departure, which we will be able to plan out well in advance.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL

Results:

-Barclays US Air
-Chase Marriott Rewards
-US Bank Club Carlson
-Citi AAdvantage
-Capital One VentureOne

If you went against most posters advice before, I fail to see what incentive posters have to give more of it particularly given you haven't given much by way of background information. A nice variety of airline cards that are part of the large alliances? That hardly narrows the field.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
If you went against most posters advice before, I fail to see what incentive posters have to give more of it particularly given you haven't given much by way of background information. A nice variety of airline cards that are part of the large alliances? That hardly narrows the field.
I guess the only question that remains, which I think is specific: What is the recommended maximum number of cards to churn in a 3 month period?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.