Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
Planet Beauty is now accepting Apple Pay, just hit credit and then tap. It doesn't tell you to tap, have the contactless logo, or have the four contactless lights on screen but it still works. They are using the MX915 but contact EMV isn't enabled.
So there's hope for Chick-Fil-A then?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
So there's hope for Chick-Fil-A then?
Chick Fil A uses a newer NCR pos system, unlike Trader Joe's, who uses a very old NCR one, so it may very well be on.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Received the Apple Watch this morning. Added a few of my cards and none of them required me to call the issuers like I had to with the iPhone. The Aviator Red card still shows as US Airways on the Watch. I kinda wish I could rearrange cards in Passbook without having to delete/re-add in my preferred order but swiping through is not a big deal.

Also interestingly enough, Peet's Coffee and Tea now shows up on the MC locator site. How does contactless work there?

EDIT: cardpeek analysis of the Apple Watch indicates that it behaves exactly the same as the phone (as in, you still won't be able to use Visa or AmEx with it on the Underground due to lack of offline support).

Last edited by tmiw; Apr 28, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:08 pm

Received the Apple Watch this morning. Added a few of my cards and none of them required me to call the issuers like I had to with the iPhone.
Did you add any cards that you hadn't previously added to Apple Pay on the iPhone?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Did you add any cards that you hadn't previously added to Apple Pay on the iPhone?
I do have a Chase debit card I could try. Otherwise I'd have to wait until Discover support comes later this year.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I added the Chase debit card (which has never been added to AP before) with no verification step required. However, I noticed that Chase Freedom now said "Unavailable". Deleting and re-adding that resulted in a required text/email/phone call verification step. Not sure why it didn't have me do that when I first tried to add it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Arrived in London this afternoon.

Went on a bus on Kings Road heading west, didn't really note which line.

Tried Apple Pay on my iPhone 6 Plus, where I'd preselected Barclays Arrival Plus.

It showed the UI, showed it accepting my fingerprint and showing "Done" check mark.

But the LED on the pad where people use the Oyster blinked yellow.

Tried twice, both times yellow. So I tapped the Oyster that I also had.

When I bought the Oyster, the TFL clerk said its not supported.

Asked a clerk at an EE mobile shop, also saidd it's not supported and if it works sometimes, it's no guarantee of it working everywhere. But not sure if he was referring to Apple Pay in general or AP as Oyster substitute.

I did successfully make an AP purchase at a Boots store at St. Pancras, using Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Only other possibility is that I put in the Arrival Plus in Apple Pay but never used it so maybe it's not ready to use. But the UI behaved like it works, yet the reader on the bus I tried didn't work.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to ARCO and tried Apple Pay on the Watch. It worked and I impressed the clerk. 35c debit fee means I'm not going to try that often though (I thought surcharges for debit weren't allowed?). Too bad Schwab doesn't reimburse debit fees for purchases.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you can afford a watch and a recent iPhone, you can afford 35 cents, though of course, no reason to burn money.

Still should be cheaper than the higher rate they charge for credit cards though.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
If you can afford a watch and a recent iPhone, you can afford 35 cents, though of course, no reason to burn money.

Still should be cheaper than the higher rate they charge for credit cards though.
Touche.

I've heard of ARCO locations accepting credit but I've never seen one around here. The weird thing though is that there was a FD35 at this particular one; it wasn't being used though. Maybe that location actually can do credit transactions after all?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:47 pm

I went to ARCO and tried Apple Pay on the Watch. It worked and I impressed the clerk. 35c debit fee means I'm not going to try that often though (I thought surcharges for debit weren't allowed?). Too bad Schwab doesn't reimburse debit fees for purchases.
Surcharges for debit are indeed not allowed. If they don't call the surcharge a 'cash discount' (which they almost certainly do), you can complain to V or MC about it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Surcharges for debit are indeed not allowed. If they don't call the surcharge a 'cash discount' (which they almost certainly do), you can complain to V or MC about it.
Just filed the complaint at https://usa.visa.com/checkoutfees/contact.jsp. The terminal prompted "Debit Fee $0.35 Y/N" and the charge was also a separate line item below the items purchased on the receipt. I'll keep the receipt in case they ask for it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by t325
For any grocery shoppers in the greater St. Louis area, Shop n Save now supports Apple Pay/NFC (MX915) and Dierbergs is working on rolling it out according to a post on their Facebook page (The store by me recently got MX915s as well but NFC was disabled). And according to a post on /r/stlouis Schnucks has it at a few stores (not sure which PIN pad, haven't been to one with it yet) and are working on rolling it out. So hopefully all of our major grocery stores will have NFC in the next few months.

'Bout time, especially for Schnucks. Another hacked retailer that should've upgraded to something more secure years ago
Update: The Schnucks near me (Des Peres) got new PIN Pads this week (Ingencio - looks like the ones at Home Depot) and NFC is enabled - worked flawlessly with Apple Pay. The screen said "Please swipe card" but also had the NFC logo on it. It didn't mention anything about inserting the card, I'll try it with a chip card this weekend.

The grocery store is probably the place I shop at most often, it'll finally be nice to have secure payments there - especially since I'm pretty sure the Schnucks breach is how my AmEx went on a vacation to South America without me.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by t325
Update: The Schnucks near me (Des Peres) got new PIN Pads this week (Ingencio - looks like the ones at Home Depot) and NFC is enabled - worked flawlessly with Apple Pay. The screen said "Please swipe card" but also had the NFC logo on it. It didn't mention anything about inserting the card, I'll try it with a chip card this weekend.

The grocery store is probably the place I shop at most often, it'll finally be nice to have secure payments there - especially since I'm pretty sure the Schnucks breach is how my AmEx went on a vacation to South America without me.
This one https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0429151442.jpg that is the Ingenico ISC250 and I think NFC has to be turned on, so if it is on, then that means they wanted it on.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:21 pm

Just filed the complaint at https://usa.visa.com/checkoutfees/contact.jsp. The terminal prompted "Debit Fee $0.35 Y/N" and the charge was also a separate line item below the items purchased on the receipt. I'll keep the receipt in case they ask for it.
ARCO has had a debit card surcharge for as long as I can remember. I don't think your complaint will matter since I doubt your transaction was processed over the Visa network; every time I've gone there they ask for PIN so I suspect they only support the PIN debit networks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.