Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I saw on the News that Samsung wants to create a service that rivals Apple Pay called Samsung Pay, and it'll use NFC for merchants that have it and Magnetic Induction for those that don't.

This is something interesting, though I doubt Magnetic Induction will work when EMV is rolled out. The terminal will just ask for the chip which you won't have because you don't have your physical cards on you.

Interesting though. I wish Apple would have also went the same route because I'm sure banks would create a special exemption for Apple and EMV, if they had some sort of tokenized magnetic induction.
The idea is that issuers will create a dynamic magnetic stripe card for the phone
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Every time I try those they never work. Then again I live in Arizona where the heat kills electronics.
Do they work inside at the same locations, if so then the heat did kill really it. Also I asked Kroger about Contactless payments at Baker's and here is the response: "Today, we have just a few stores that have payment terminals that support contactless technology, but the majority of our stores do not have the ability to process Apple Pay or other contactless transactions. This is a new technology that we are evaluating. As we continue to work towards implementing chip payment card technology, that will provide more security for our customers when paying, new payment terminals will have this functionality and we will evaluate contactless payment options in the future. We greatly appreciate your thoughts on this service."
I'd say it sounds like they are planning on replacing any remaining MX870's with MX915's for chip card and most likely they will leave on the Contactless antennas.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
Fuddruckers' MX915 doesn't look like they customized the software actually since the UI seems to be exactly the same as Rubios'. Also, I highly doubt Verifone would design things in such a way that a new EMVco approval would be needed simply to show ads and line items. New Visa/MC/acquirer approval though, possibly.

MX915 datasheet showing that it runs Linux: http://www.verifone.com/media/4300596/mx915_ds_ltr.pdf (PDF)
EMVco level 2 approval for Verifone: http://emvco.com/approvals.aspx?id=85#VERIFONEINC

One of those Linux software modules in the second link probably runs on the MX915/925 even though it's not explicitly mentioned. Even though they don't seem to publicly provide integration documentation it's totally possible that the retailer's code running on the terminal calls some sort of Verifone provided API or application to actually perform the EMV transaction.

The huge graphical terminals are only common at large retailers. A lot of smaller businesses are using the normal two line text LCD (FD35/FD100 combo for example).
EMV type approval of the terminal itself (including the firmware and kernel) is only one piece of the puzzle. The payment application running on the terminal (and if the terminal is fully integrated with the POS, the POS application as well) need to be certified, as does the connection and communications between the terminal/POS and the acquirer.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
EMV type approval of the terminal itself (including the firmware and kernel) is only one piece of the puzzle. The payment application running on the terminal (and if the terminal is fully integrated with the POS, the POS application as well) need to be certified, as does the connection and communications between the terminal/POS and the acquirer.
If a merchant does things right the terminal shouldn't be fully integrated with the POS software. So far I've only heard of one case of a POS with an EMV slot on the merchant side of the counter. Of course, things are fairly up in the air still and merchants who haven't already purchased new equipment might still cheap out.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
If a merchant does things right the terminal shouldn't be fully integrated with the POS software. So far I've only heard of one case of a POS with an EMV slot on the merchant side of the counter. Of course, things are fairly up in the air still and merchants who haven't already purchased new equipment might still cheap out.
But most merchants in the US, especially large merchants, do have their terminals and card processing fully integrated with their POS. That's part of the problem, and that's why you get some many data breaches coming out of US retailers.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
But most merchants in the US, especially large merchants, do have their terminals and card processing fully integrated with their POS. That's part of the problem, and that's why you get some many data breaches coming out of US retailers.
This was a lot easier to do in the pure magstripe days, but I feel like this will become harder/impossible once acquirers and card brands start mandating things like end-to-end encryption. Plus I'm not sure that's a good excuse for not having contactless, since judging by Apple Pay's behavior in cardpeek the US will probably use MSD contactless for years after the liability shift anyway (which probably doesn't require any specific approvals).
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Today at Whole Foods I tapped my WF Paywave Debit Card for a $17 purchase, expecting a $25 CMV waiver. Instead, to my surprise, up popped ENTER PIN!

I experienced Tap & Sign last year for an even smaller purchase at Bartell Drugs, but now I can add Tap & PIN as well.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Today at Whole Foods I tapped my WF Paywave Debit Card for a $17 purchase, expecting a $25 CMV waiver. Instead, to my surprise, up popped ENTER PIN!

I experienced Tap & Sign last year for an even smaller purchase at Bartell Drugs, but now I can add Tap & PIN as well.
That uses MSD debit, you can also press the green button for credit, which is standard on all MX915's, also at Grocery stores for Visa its $50 no sign limit as well.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW MasterCard contactless still fails at Home Depot. Self checkout clerk yelled "card tap not allowed" and cancelled payment.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by scibot
That uses MSD debit, you can also press the green button for credit, which is standard on all MX915's, also at Grocery stores for Visa its $50 no sign limit as well.
I can't believe I missed a debit or credit option, if one had been available?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I can't believe I missed a debit or credit option, if one had been available?
I believe it says something like enter pin or press green for credit on the pin screen. It does the same for Google Wallet at Whole Foods, but Apple Pay doesn't ask for it I believe. @tmiw I hope they fix that issue soon.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 pm

BTW MasterCard contactless still fails at Home Depot. Self checkout clerk yelled "card tap not allowed" and cancelled payment.
Was this the Balboa & Genesee location? If so, then my chat a few weeks ago with their manager apparently when nowhere. Regardless of location, I suggest doing their store evaluation survey thing and rating them as low as possible for the checkout experience; if enough people complain I bet corporate will notice even if local management doesn't.

And was this Apple Pay, Google Wallet, or physical card contactless? From our last discussion on the topic I thought the Home Depot/MasterCard contactless problem was specific to Apple Pay.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Was this the Balboa & Genesee location? If so, then my chat a few weeks ago with their manager apparently when nowhere. Regardless of location, I suggest doing their store evaluation survey thing and rating them as low as possible for the checkout experience; if enough people complain I bet corporate will notice even if local management doesn't.

And was this Apple Pay, Google Wallet, or physical card contactless? From our last discussion on the topic I thought the Home Depot/MasterCard contactless problem was specific to Apple Pay.
Physical card (Diners Club Premier). This was the location at I-15 and Mira Mesa Blvd. Unfortunately I don't think it's just Apple Pay.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:03 pm

Physical card (Diners Club Premier). This was the location at I-15 and Mira Mesa Blvd. Unfortunately I don't think it's just Apple Pay.
Interesting. I wonder where the "no contactless at self checkouts" thing came from then, if it's not specific to just one store. It could be a regional thing, maybe if someone outside Southern California has the opportunity to try a MC contactless transaction (to force an error and employee interaction, I suspect Visa or Amex contactless purchase would slip by unnoticed and just work, like it did for me with my physical WF Visa a few months back) and see how the employees react and report back, it might be interesting. Or it might be as simple as that one employee still making up her own rules and having switched stores.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old-ish article but interesting:

But the zinger -- which circulated broadly in the corridors at Money20/20 -- is that Discover may be working on a deal with the Merchant Customer Exchange’s CurrentC mobile payments platform.

That WalMart (WMT) -led initiative -- supposed to launch in early 2015 at more than 80 national retailers including Best Buy (BBY) and CVS (CVS) -- has often been said to exclude traditional credit cards because of the high fees (called “interchange”) imposed on merchants in accepting Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

At Money20/20 in a keynote, however, Dekkers Davidson, CEO of the Merchant Customer Exchange, flatly said that CurrentC will include “open loop” credit cards, that is, cards usable at many merchants as opposed to store brand cards, for instance.

The rumors prompted a question to Nelms at Money20/20 about Discover and MCX which prompted the answer, “We generally sympathize more with merchants than do other [credit card] networks. We were born out of Sears.”
Seems unlikely though because Discover have gone on record as saying that they're going to join Apple Pay eventually.

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Interesting. I wonder where the "no contactless at self checkouts" thing came from then, if it's not specific to just one store. It could be a regional thing, maybe if someone outside Southern California has the opportunity to try a MC contactless transaction (to force an error and employee interaction, I suspect Visa or Amex contactless purchase would slip by unnoticed and just work, like it did for me with my physical WF Visa a few months back) and see how the employees react and report back, it might be interesting. Or it might be as simple as that one employee still making up her own rules and having switched stores.
My guess is there is some sort of MC specific issue because it sounded like she was reading from her screen. I would have expected it to have been fixed by now though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.