Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I used Google Wallet at Walgreens tonight even though I wasn't planning on doing so (had phone out already) and it worked with no issues. Not sure if it was that app update Google did the other day or if I just had a bad day the last time I used it.

I was disappointed though when the description of the update on the Play Store was just about loyalty cards and said nothing about international acceptance.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:42 am

I noticed that Whole Foods and Big Lots not just only use MX915's they both run IBM pos, so they work quite similar with Google Wallet, both will show a screen where it asks to enter a pin after you tap, or you can press the green button for credit, which makes sense, although some places you have to press the red out button which is confusing. So some places that don't show any indication of NFC enabled, leave it on right? But in many cases they turn it off, like GNC or Kroger branded stores for example, although Harris Teeter has it on, which is owned by Kroger.

Last edited by scibot; Dec 15, 2014 at 11:41 am
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by AllieKat
I think Steve Jobs would have been the first to support CurrentC, inside Passbook of course. He acted as if he was a huge fan of pay-by-barcode instead of NFC.
The Steve Jobs I remember was the megalomaniac psychopath (and I say that as a compliment BTW) who'd take great ideas that have been implemented in Japan and elsewhere (Sony's Walkman turned into Sony-Columbia Pictures, multi-features on a phone), make it "cool" and apply them to his own business model to take over the (business) world as sort of a conglomerate.

There's a lot of similarities between Sony's founder Akio Morita and Apple's founder Steve Jobs on how they conducted business, it may be true of the rumors that SJ idolized Akio Morita.

To me, it sounds like SJ had NFC in mind but died before he could make it to full fruition; heck Sony was the inventor of the Felica contactless system. Likely is that he left some notes for Tim Cook.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
The Steve Jobs I remember was the megalomaniac psychopath (and I say that as a compliment BTW) who'd take great ideas that have been implemented in Japan and elsewhere (Sony's Walkman turned into Sony-Columbia Pictures, multi-features on a phone), make it "cool" and apply them to his own business model to take over the (business) world as sort of a conglomerate.

There's a lot of similarities between Sony's founder Akio Morita and Apple's founder Steve Jobs on how they conducted business, it may be true of the rumors that SJ idolized Akio Morita.

To me, it sounds like SJ had NFC in mind but died before he could make it to full fruition; heck Sony was the inventor of the Felica contactless system. Likely is that he left some notes for Tim Cook.
If I recall correctly, when introducing Passbook he specifically claimed barcodes were better than NFC. On an Apple fanboy forum I'm on people used to talk about how much better barcode payments were. Right up until Apple Pay was announced. The amount of sour grapes on there is insane...
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:31 am

Just tried to use ApplePay at a small mom and pop bakery. They had a PIN pad similar to this one on the customer side of the counter, so seeing the NFC logo, I put my iPhone 6 over it while the cashier was still adding it up on the register and nothing. Figured it was disabled like at so many other retail outlets. I got out my Citi Mastercard with chip and swiped it, also figuring if NFC was disabled, EMV was as well. The cashier entered the amount on her side of the counter and it started processing, then to my surprise, it said "Insert or tap card" and then one of the 4 green lights on top lit up. I already had my phone back in my pocket and my card out, so I inserted my card for my first EMV transaction in the US.

I guess NFC on some of these readers is disabled until the cashier enters the amount? NFC works well at McDonalds and Walgreens because I can tap the phone while the cashier is still ringing up my purchase. But if I have to do the phone-card shuffle while the cashier is waiting on me, that seems like it would slow things down, which is the opposite of Apple and Google's intentions with contactless.

But still, regardless of NFC working or not, kudos to the bakery for accepting EMV. Makes you wonder why they can and some of these retail giants with virtually unlimited resources can't - especially the ones with EMV-capable readers who have it disabled.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by t325
Just tried to use ApplePay at a small mom and pop bakery. They had a PIN pad similar to this one on the customer side of the counter, so seeing the NFC logo, I put my iPhone 6 over it while the cashier was still adding it up on the register and nothing. Figured it was disabled like at so many other retail outlets. I got out my Citi Mastercard with chip and swiped it, also figuring if NFC was disabled, EMV was as well. The cashier entered the amount on her side of the counter and it started processing, then to my surprise, it said "Insert or tap card" and then one of the 4 green lights on top lit up. I already had my phone back in my pocket and my card out, so I inserted my card for my first EMV transaction in the US.

I guess NFC on some of these readers is disabled until the cashier enters the amount? NFC works well at McDonalds and Walgreens because I can tap the phone while the cashier is still ringing up my purchase. But if I have to do the phone-card shuffle while the cashier is waiting on me, that seems like it would slow things down, which is the opposite of Apple and Google's intentions with contactless.

But still, regardless of NFC working or not, kudos to the bakery for accepting EMV. Makes you wonder why they can and some of these retail giants with virtually unlimited resources can't - especially the ones with EMV-capable readers who have it disabled.
With those FD35 pinpads you have to press sale then credit or debit, or just credit or debit on the buttons, it really depends what it says on the screen to do. Those 1 out of 4 lights that were lit means Contactless should work as once you tap all 4 will light up telling you the payment card has been read, next time you see them try to tap and it should go through fine. Also even at Mcdonalds they had to press the credit/debit button otherwise it won't work either and at Walgreens you instead press credit or debit but on the screen.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it'll work if you push Sale/Credit/Debit too (depending on the merchant).
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: Skymiles

I encounter these readers at Carl's Jr. and some other places, I just tell the cashier that I am going to pay with my phone, and usually 9/10 they know what I am talking about and go through the motions and lets me pay with it. Sometimes I have to sign the receipt, but other than that, works without a hitch.

HINT: You have to push Sale first on these terminals before the NFC reader turns on.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by AllieKat
If I recall correctly, when introducing Passbook he specifically claimed barcodes were better than NFC. On an Apple fanboy forum I'm on people used to talk about how much better barcode payments were. Right up until Apple Pay was announced. The amount of sour grapes on there is insane...
But they hired NFC guys years ago. Even before Passbook came out.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Nice that your EMV transaction went through. Regarding NFC, you need the total for the phone to approve the transaction (this is true for EMV as well), so the days initiating payment early are over.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:54 pm

I walked into a local furniture store and I saw this terminal: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1217141158.jpg
EMV isn't enabled I think as it only says swipe card, but Contactless looks to be enabled, although no way to test it out as everything is expensive being a furniture store and all. Specs sheet: http://www.dejavoosystems.com/assets...rifold-web.pdf ( Look for V8s) I bet there must be a lot of hidden Contactless terminals that no one ever uses. I know of a bar, a cafe and another bar locally that all have the VX520's although I only know that one has the four Contactless lights on it as I haven't been able to check out the other two of them.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
I walked into a local furniture store and I saw this terminal: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1217141158.jpg
EMV isn't enabled I think as it only says swipe card, but Contactless looks to be enabled, although no way to test it out as everything is expensive being a furniture store and all. Specs sheet: http://www.dejavoosystems.com/assets...rifold-web.pdf ( Look for V8s) I bet there must be a lot of hidden Contactless terminals that no one ever uses. I know of a bar, a cafe and another bar locally that all have the VX520's although I only know that one has the four Contactless lights on it as I haven't been able to check out the other two of them.
That's a brand that I've never heard of or even seen until now. Their brochures could also use a bit of cleanup and use of real photos instead of 3D renderings.

I'm still hoping that some contactless supporting place near me joins MileagePlus Dining so that I can test my Google Wallet theory out (basically that the card number it sends to the terminal never changes so it should be possible to get miles with Google Wallet by registering said number).
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
That's a brand that I've never heard of or even seen until now. Their brochures could also use a bit of cleanup and use of real photos instead of 3D renderings.

I'm still hoping that some contactless supporting place near me joins MileagePlus Dining so that I can test my Google Wallet theory out (basically that the card number it sends to the terminal never changes so it should be possible to get miles with Google Wallet by registering said number).
Oh it does change after disabling or reloading it, or using it for a number of months the number will change itself. I've had the latter happen only once. Also I used it three times at Michaels today, two credit and one debit and they all worked perfectly. It said the transaction was online as well! ^ Edit: well only if you like re-install from the play store, re-install the whole phone, or disable it remotely, then re-install it, or maybe it only happens after a set limit of transactions or a time period.

Last edited by scibot; Dec 20, 2014 at 8:11 pm
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Oh it does change after disabling or reloading it, or using it for a number of months the number will change itself. I've had the latter happen only once. Also I used it three times at Michaels today, two credit and one debit and they all worked perfectly. It said the transaction was online as well! ^
Reloading as in reinstalling from the Play Store or reloading as in opening the app again after rebooting the phone? If the former, then reregistering the # every month or two doesn't seem like too big of a hassle.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Whole Foods fiasco!

I've just returned from the following experience ...

Tap my card, and after a long while getting back Not Authorized. Clerk says in a rather huffy tone, "Give it to me to swipe!" I tell him it's a PayWave card, but he's still adamant. He says that the "international" chip is so strong it interferes with the RFID. He goes on to say it's completely swipe-only for now, with tapping and chip'ing due "in a couple of weeks."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.