Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81
It might be specific to that station.

I had success using at one Chevron, no luck in another one. The one where it failed got the checkmark but wouldn't proceed. Tried a couple of times and it even once prompted for zip code input.

The NFC scanner appeared to be the same from my memory.
Canadian contactless scanners are just as hit and miss. Some won't work at all (and even crash the pump!), some will only work with one or two card brands and some will work sometimes and not other times (A Husky near my house, the same pump will sometimes work and sometimes won't). The only payment network that seems to work fairly reliably (If its indicated as being accepted) is Interac debit.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I keep crashing CVS registers trying to tap my card. Sorry, the machine still accepts a tap and I am going to keep trying it every time to see if it works.

I can still get tap to go through on the CVS self checkout. It gives their beloved "contactless not allowed" once then I wait a bit for the pinpad to reset and tap again. Then I hit go back on the self checkout screen and select payment type again and it will process.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:45 am

Android Pay is beginning to become annoying especially when it doesn't display anything to let you know about an issue.

Friday, I stopped at Family Dollar. Machine said chip card error or the sort. Tried again, same issue. Ended up using Samsung Pay.

Today, I went to McDonalds. Tapped, phone says try to hold close to device. I do it again, nothing happens. I try Samsung Pay and I get an error on the POS. The cashier says to tap higher to the normal spot but the receipt came out for Samsung Pay.

Just work, Android Pay.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by PKCorey
Android Pay is beginning to become annoying especially when it doesn't display anything to let you know about an issue.

Friday, I stopped at Family Dollar. Machine said chip card error or the sort. Tried again, same issue. Ended up using Samsung Pay.

Today, I went to McDonalds. Tapped, phone says try to hold close to device. I do it again, nothing happens. I try Samsung Pay and I get an error on the POS. The cashier says to tap higher to the normal spot but the receipt came out for Samsung Pay.

Just work, Android Pay.
The issue isn't Android Pay...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I forget exactly, but if a business has a VX520 and is EMV enabled, does contactless always run as EMV contactless? I managed to use contactless last night at a place with that terminal (even though the terminal really isn't positioned well enough for it) and had to sign for the ~$8 purchase, indicating that they used MSD contactless.

The reason I ask is that I'm not sure that the business is EMV enabled. I might have to go back and let them use my physical card to confirm either way.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
I forget exactly, but if a business has a VX520 and is EMV enabled, does contactless always run as EMV contactless? I managed to use contactless last night at a place with that terminal (even though the terminal really isn't positioned well enough for it) and had to sign for the ~$8 purchase, indicating that they used MSD contactless.

The reason I ask is that I'm not sure that the business is EMV enabled. I might have to go back and let them use my physical card to confirm either way.
Are you sure No CVM wasn't disabled?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Are you sure No CVM wasn't disabled?
I mean, it probably was for regular cards, but even if it was for Apple Pay I'd expect CDCVM to be used if EMV contactless was.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:56 pm

My Debit MasterCard went through as MSD on a VX520 with EMV. They did have a VX820 connected but it wasn't accepting my phone for some reason.

With that being said, it may not strictly be an EMV/MSD thing. I've had to sign with EMV contactless on many First Data terminals and at Macy's.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:58 pm

We're talking about a segment of retailers who:
  1. Mostly only installed EMV capable equipment after being cajoled by Visa and MC (despite some having a significant presence outside the US),
  2. Want the PCI security standards to go away altogether in favor of something government mandated (which they'll then lobby to weaken),
  3. Patched said EMV capable equipment into extremely old POS systems that really should have been replaced,
  4. Would rather keep tracking their customers, and
  5. Refuse to take any responsibility when their bad decisions come back to bite their customers.
Unfortunately that's a significant number of them who have done the math and concluded that even a few thousand people using the proprietary app is better for their business than a single person using ____ Pay in-store. At least in-app/on-website use of AP still allows for the kind of tracking Target and others have been known to do.
I'm still waiting after two years for Safeway and CVS to add native resolution to their apps for the 4.7/5.5 iPhones.

---

Someone said a few months ago that contactless doesn't work at Hair Cuttery. I just tried today and it still works.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Oct 23, 2016 at 3:15 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
My Debit MasterCard went through as MSD on a VX520 with EMV. They did have a VX820 connected but it wasn't accepting my phone for some reason.

With that being said, it may not strictly be an EMV/MSD thing. I've had to sign with EMV contactless on many First Data terminals and at Macy's.
Sounds like I'll have to go back again and let them run my physical card to be sure. For what it's worth the receipt doesn't show any EMV-related info.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:32 pm

Sounds like I'll have to go back again and let them run my physical card to be sure. For what it's worth the receipt doesn't show any EMV-related info.
I've had only one EMV contactless transaction with a VX520 (although it was in Canada). It shows the AID and App Label at the very least.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by PKCorey
Just work, Android Pay.
That is odd so what what card did you use there as when I used my Visa card there it worked perfectly fine although that was months ago. But yeah they could have borked the contactless although you'd expect them to stop tweaking the config once EMV is enabled but companies can't stop messing with stuff. Your NFC antenna could be failing or a case could be blocking the signal from working.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
That is odd so what what card did you use there as when I used my Visa card there it worked perfectly fine although that was months ago. But yeah they could have borked the contactless although you'd expect them to stop tweaking the config once EMV is enabled but companies can't stop messing with stuff. Your NFC antenna could be failing or a case could be blocking the signal from working.
It's because they're always trying to find ways to "make it faster" LOL!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can confirm that the Subway by my house prints only one receipt now as well.

Also, the new ICBC US cards seem to be contactless:

source page
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:53 am

I mean, it probably was for regular cards, but even if it was for Apple Pay I'd expect CDCVM to be used if EMV contactless was.
CDCVM can be used with MSD contactless also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.