Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
A while back, I had a concern that contactless EMV (if it wasn't supported) would return an error even though the customer is trying to swipe or insert their card. The folks here reassured me that the contactless payment needed to be pretty close to right up against the center of the screen on the MX915 to work.

Well, today, someone had a debit card that supported contactless EMV. The customer went to swipe it, but the pin pad read the contactless payment and processed it that way instead (swiped cards generate a beep, contactless payments generate a "blerp," and inserted EMV doesn't generate any noise). Now that contactless is supported, I suppose it's a moot point, but apparently attempting to swipe a contactless card will simply process the card as contactless EMV.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by diburning
A while back, I had a concern that contactless EMV (if it wasn't supported) would return an error even though the customer is trying to swipe or insert their card. The folks here reassured me that the contactless payment needed to be pretty close to right up against the center of the screen on the MX915 to work.

Well, today, someone had a debit card that supported contactless EMV. The customer went to swipe it, but the pin pad read the contactless payment and processed it that way instead (swiped cards generate a beep, contactless payments generate a "blerp," and inserted EMV doesn't generate any noise). Now that contactless is supported, I suppose it's a moot point, but apparently attempting to swipe a contactless card will simply process the card as contactless EMV.
Wonder what the customer thought of that one. Probably didn't know his card could do that! Lol!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by diburning

Accidental contactless on a swipe can happen, tho it's not supposed to be able to (and I'm shocked on a Verifone terminal, they're much less sensitive than Ingenico). Accidental contactless on a chip insert would be essentially impossible.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Wonder what the customer thought of that one. Probably didn't know his card could do that! Lol!
He probably thought that he swiped it. I didn't say anything!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Accidental contactless on a swipe can happen, tho it's not supposed to be able to (and I'm shocked on a Verifone terminal, they're much less sensitive than Ingenico). Accidental contactless on a chip insert would be essentially impossible.
I experienced a problem at a shop in Seattle that didn't have contactless fully setup and it wouldn't let me swipe the card as it would always read the contactless and give an error. In the end she keyed the card in.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by reclusive46
I experienced a problem at a shop in Seattle that didn't have contactless fully setup and it wouldn't let me swipe the card as it would always read the contactless and give an error. In the end she keyed the card in.
Go from the bottom up.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Go from the bottom up.
I tried that. It still read it.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Whole Foods apparently has EMV now. Weirdly, I think you may still be able to tap while they're scanning your items (though I didn't buy enough to conclusively test that); the screen goes blank right after they scan the first item and the "insert/tap/swipe" prompt shows a second or two later. Contactless is also still MSD-only and the green lights on the display blink a weird 4/1 pattern (all four on, then only the leftmost one, then repeat). Anyone know what that pattern means?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Whole Foods apparently has EMV now. Weirdly, I think you may still be able to tap while they're scanning your items (though I didn't buy enough to conclusively test that); the screen goes blank right after they scan the first item and the "insert/tap/swipe" prompt shows a second or two later. Contactless is also still MSD-only and the green lights on the display blink a weird 4/1 pattern (all four on, then only the leftmost one, then repeat). Anyone know what that pattern means?
My local Whole Foods has done the blinking ctls lights for like over 6 months since they turned on EMV so its at all locations with it on. Mine was on of the first Whole Foods locations to even have EMV turned on. I bey yhe blinking lights means you can tap at any time but I'm not really sure about that. SuperValu's Retalix system has the same exact message but zero Contactless lights for whatever reason.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
I can confirm that CVS works with my grandfathered MasterCard in Android Pay. ^^ One of the cashiers did say that Android Pay works but I tried Android Pay Visa and it said "USE CHIP READER" so just like Apple Pay and only half works, but this still has to be a very good sign. It means that only the pos system(Toshiba iirc) is blocking it because EMV is enabled and its not CVS fault. I also used NFC loyalty at Walgreens but it was a bit buggy as it took 2 to 3 times to read the loyalty card but did and then it forced debit on me as I tried to press yellow for credit and it did not work. haha
Confirmed in Hawaii. Cashier asked what I used, she said Android Pay works but Apple Pay doesn't for customers
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nacron
Confirmed in Hawaii. Cashier asked what I used, she said Android Pay works but Apple Pay doesn't for customers
I had a cashier say the same thing but when I tried Android Pay Visa it said 'use chip reader' which is a pos software issue and not thats not CVS blocking it. Dairy Queen with MX915's does the same thing and I believe both places use IBM/Toshiba software which is very problematic for NFC when EMV is enabled. (MSD only cards work at both places)
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nacron
Probably meant Samsung Pay.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I also bought an umbrella this morning at CVS - I didn't leave the house prepared. One of the MX860s was replaced with a new MX925. It has the new Verifone logo and still came with external contactless. EMV wasn't enabled though, which came as a surprise to me. I tried tap and the terminal said it's not allowed, unlike its recent tendency to ask for an insert. I had to swipe my card, and I ran as credit out of (extremely) petty spite.
Since EMV was not enabled at that CVS you should try Visa or MasterCard Apple or Android Pay as I'm pretty sure it would actually work there unlike locations with EMV Contact enabled. Also according the to EMV site Famous Footwear now accepts NFC and EMV.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
Since EMV was not enabled at that CVS you should try Visa or MasterCard Apple or Android Pay as I'm pretty sure it would actually work there unlike locations with EMV Contact enabled. Also according the to EMV site Famous Footwear now accepts NFC and EMV.
That's what I said - I tried Apple Pay with my 360 card and the terminal said contactless is not allowed. The location does have EMV enabled at all registers, but the MX925 was a new installation and perhaps wasn't configured yet for chip. It replaced an older MX860.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:49 pm

Does anyone know if contactless debit with PIN works with IBM/Toshiba registers that only support MSD cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.