Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
If it's like the UK, on device cvm will only show on the receipt when it's above the no cvm limit.
Ahh I bet it the same way here for most Walgreens, while it seems the Clover Mini shows it even for a small transactions. I asked CloverPOS on twitter and they said that Device Verified is indeed CDCVM being used, so Android Pay does support it like Apple Pay does.

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Well it seems as though the number of contactless accepting locations near me just grew by at least 20x thanks to that little Square Contactless and Chip reader. (Bonus for EMV too). Just stroll through my local mall (Scottsdale Fashion Square) and anything not owned by a chain seems to use Square complete with the reader!
I have not seen any Square chip+nfc reader anywhere around here yet. I'm sure I will soon come a crossed at least one of them. Come to think of it many of the chains stores are doing point of sale systems wrong.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
Come to think of it many of the chains stores are doing point of sale systems wrong.
I wonder if that's on purpose, or at least because they prioritized their own needs over their customers'.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
My local subway has had a VX820 on the counter facing customers forever. It never occurred to me that it's for NFC/contactless. It's set up for magstripe swiping only.

This morning, when I visited the Starbucks near work, I saw that they installed VX820s on the registers, also facing the customer. The screen said Tap or Insert. Just yesterday (I go here every morning), they were still using the old method of swiping the card on a barista-facing slot on the register screen.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
My local subway has had a VX820 on the counter facing customers forever. It never occurred to me that it's for NFC/contactless. It's set up for magstripe swiping only.
It's probably taken NFC for a while, but the Subway person has to push something on the POS to activate it (otherwise the screen sits there with "Welcome" on it).
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Stopped by a friend's shop who has a VX520 today. He told me he wanted to make sure apple pay still works on it(it worked last june). We tried(using my phone and android pay on his phone) no dice. He called his credit card processor, who walked him through some steps on the machine, and was able to enable it.

He used to show up in the mobile pay finder app, but not any more.

I wonder how many more merchants don't realize they can just spend a few minutes to enable it.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So for all these Apple Pay transactions in NZ, the receipt shows the last 4 digits of the DAN but not my name, obviously.

Identifies the card, Visa or MV, has RID, PIX, AAC and ATC values. Finally an AUTH code.

Can any of these values identify the card or the customer?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by wco81
So for all these Apple Pay transactions in NZ, the receipt shows the last 4 digits of the DAN but not my name, obviously.

Identifies the card, Visa or MV, has RID, PIX, AAC and ATC values. Finally an AUTH code.

Can any of these values identify the card or the customer?
Nope.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:51 am

Well it seems as though the number of contactless accepting locations near me just grew by at least 20x thanks to that little Square Contactless and Chip reader. (Bonus for EMV too). Just stroll through my local mall (Scottsdale Fashion Square) and anything not owned by a chain seems to use Square complete with the reader!
Despite some doubts raised here by other posters, my local coffee shop just swapped their iPad touch + Square reader with a Square stand. They don't yet have the chip/contactless reader setup, but the cashier confirmed that it's in the works and said they'll soon be taking both Apple Pay and Android Pay.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zolk
Despite some doubts raised here by other posters, my local coffee shop just swapped their iPad touch + Square reader with a Square stand. They don't yet have the chip/contactless reader setup, but the cashier confirmed that it's in the works and said they'll soon be taking both Apple Pay and Android Pay.
At best it'll be a while (~5 years?). As I mentioned in the other thread, Dollar General has EMV but no contactless. Kroger also doesn't look like they're going to do contactless immediately when EMV is finally turned on at all locations.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by zolk
The readers still are back ordered by 4 weeks. That's why they're popping up so slowly. Especially if they just upgraded.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:36 pm

The readers still are back ordered by 4 weeks. That's why they're popping up so slowly. Especially if they just upgraded.
I can attest to that. I just got mine a few weeks ago. On a side note, they haven't applied the rebate on processing fees to my account yet.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW Dollar General is also not an MCX member, just like Kroger. I hope their lack of contactless is temporary and not an indication that most major retailers aren't going to bother.

I also forgot to mention that Dollar General uses the same terminals as 7-11. Unfortunately I can't find it on Ingenico's website so I don't know if it has the necessary hardware or not.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
BTW Dollar General is also not an MCX member, just like Kroger. I hope their lack of contactless is temporary and not an indication that most major retailers aren't going to bother.

I also forgot to mention that Dollar General uses the same terminals as 7-11. Unfortunately I can't find it on Ingenico's website so I don't know if it has the necessary hardware or not.
The iSC350 has nfc built right in but its not being sold anymore which is why you won't find it on their site. Skechers uses them and has nfc turned on there. Dollar General uses both iSC350s and iSC480s both with nfc support built in.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
The iSC350 has nfc built right in but its not being sold anymore which is why you won't find it on their site. Skechers uses them and has nfc turned on there. Dollar General uses both iSC350s and iSC480s both with nfc support built in.
Probably for the best. Using the magstripe with the 350 is pretty awkward IMO. On the other hand, NFC with the 480 is pretty awkward too due to its non-standard location, at least without the contactless sticker.

Anyway, I saw another Square merchant with the new chip reader today. They seem to be rolling out slowly but surely. ^
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:07 am

So remember when I said that there were tons of 7-Eleven on the contactless locator in OKC, well it turns out that 7-Eleven in that state are the only independent stores that carry the 7-Eleven name. http://www.cspnet.com/industry-news-...-oklahoma-2016
I just looked on their Facebook page and see a picture with an Ingenico iSC250 in it just like what QuikTrip uses so NFC might actually be on there. Since they aren't run by corp they should be able to do what they want to. ^

http://www.cspnet.com/industry-news-...trip-corp-2016 A few of those pictures shows iSC250's so it must be rolling out company wide very soon, that article is from January 2016 so its pretty new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.