Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Update: I went back to that location today and the iSC250 didn't have any green lights lit. I couldn't test because my purchase was once again below the $5 minimum but either it's not turned on at all or the clerk has to do something to turn it on (which is weird because it said "please swipe" the entire time).
That is weird, sounds like its not enabled at all. I've ran into that at U Stop(Phillips 66) it had one iSC250 and no light and only said Please Slide Card on the screen. The U Stop with the iSC250 that works and it only seems to be enabled on register 2 as they both seem to use different pos on the other register even though it says to tap, I tried it and zero reponse that time, but I should try it again.
I also got to test Google Wallet at a local Dollar Tree today, it only said "Please Swipe Card" but it worked perfectly there. The cashier couldn't figure out how to run it as credit so another employee helped her with that and if I recall correctly he said they would be supporting it officially soon. Dollar Tree is listed on the Mastercard locator in Canada as well.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Samsung released a how-to video for Samsung Pay:

Interestingly, they only seem to demonstrate MST and not NFC. Thoughts as to why?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:33 am

Can anyone confirm if Samsung Pay has EMV capabilities? I would assume no to allow the MST and NFC card number to be the same, which keeps the chip enabled terminals from forcing an insert of a phone. Samsung Pay has started a beta, and I will be switching from my iPhone 6 Plus the the Note 5 if EMV is supported.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Can anyone confirm if Samsung Pay has EMV capabilities? I would assume no to allow the MST and NFC card number to be the same, which keeps the chip enabled terminals from forcing an insert of a phone. Samsung Pay has started a beta, and I will be switching from my iPhone 6 Plus the the Note 5 if EMV is supported.
Considering the video I posted above I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung Pay's NFC support was disabled altogether for phones sold in the US. Maybe someone in the beta can try and see if that's the case?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Considering the video I posted above I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung Pay's NFC support was disabled altogether for phones sold in the US. Maybe someone in the beta can try and see if that's the case?
Not true. There is already a video on YouTube of a person using it at both McDonalds and Subway with the NFC function. Plus, it says on the screen to hold next to card or NFC reader. It's interesting to note that in said video, using MST didn't work at Subway, the person had to use NFC. Very odd.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not true. There is already a video on YouTube of a person using it at both McDonalds and Subway with the NFC function. Plus, it says on the screen to hold next to card or NFC reader. It's interesting to note that in said video, using MST didn't work at Subway, the person had to use NFC. Very odd.
In places where it's "supposed to work" (not ATMs and gas pumps), what frequency of failure for the MST capability will people tolerate? Will people cut Samsung a lot of slack because it will have already beat Apple in merchant acceptance?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:57 am

The loop pay fob works at Subway so thats weird. At Subway your supposed to wait until it shows the contactless logo before you swipe/tap. Could be that the person used it too early.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
The loop pay fob works at Subway so thats weird. At Subway your supposed to wait until it shows the contactless logo before you swipe/tap. Could be that the person used it too early.
I gave up on my looppay fob about a month after I got it last year in February. Using the thing was a total crapshoot and I'm not even talking about ATMs and gas pumps. I had to walk to my car to grab my wallet so many times that I started to get extremely frustrated. I tried a replacement but I was having the same problems and the final straw was when Citi called me to tell me that they had blocked a legitimate transaction that I was trying to do with the fob because the card data they were receiving for the transaction was incorrect.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by WhatWhatTech
I gave up on my looppay fob about a month after I got it last year in February. Using the thing was a total crapshoot and I'm not even talking about ATMs and gas pumps. I had to walk to my car to grab my wallet so many times that I started to get extremely frustrated. I tried a replacement but I was having the same problems and the final straw was when Citi called me to tell me that they had blocked a legitimate transaction that I was trying to do with the fob because the card data they were receiving for the transaction was incorrect.
Yeah I couldn't barley use it at Disneyland for example. They wanted to cal their manager every time I wanted to use it. It took forever and in most cases they would say things like "our machines can't do that and we are not going to let you try" or "we can't let you do that because we don't want to damage our machines or your device thing". I have since stopped using it.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
At work, I read a manual on EMV from our payment processor. If any of your local stores uses NCR Retalix as a payment processor, they will not get EMV support until 1Q 2016. NFC however, should already be implemented for those stores that want it. I saw the instructions (and was able to follow them to check the config options) and it's pretty interesting. There are options to override EMV if the chip is broken, an option to set a limit for such overridden transactions, an option to set limits for NFC transactions, and a bunch of other options including disabling NFC and EMV entirely.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
At work, I read a manual on EMV from our payment processor. If any of your local stores uses NCR Retalix as a payment processor, they will not get EMV support until 1Q 2016. NFC however, should already be implemented for those stores that want it. I saw the instructions (and was able to follow them to check the config options) and it's pretty interesting. There are options to override EMV if the chip is broken, an option to set a limit for such overridden transactions, an option to set limits for NFC transactions, and a bunch of other options including disabling NFC and EMV entirely.
I feel like that's a significant number of quick service restaurants who aren't going to make the liability shift deadline. Doesn't Chipotle use them? Or am I thinking of something else with NCR on it?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
NCR is National Cash Register. They supply many different POS systems and cash registers, as well as provide hardware support on NCR and other hardware. NCR Retailix is an integrated payment system. Not all stores with NCR hardware also use NCR as a payment processor. Remember those security breaches at Home Depot last year? The hackers targeted NCR Retalix.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:12 am

Well I switched to a S6 Edge Plus. Waiting for the stupid beta email. Hurry up Samsung!!!!! How long is this going to take!!!!

Anyway....

Does LoopPay work for anyone else at Target? It gave me a card swipe read error every time I tried both before/after the EMV rollout.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
NCR is National Cash Register. They supply many different POS systems and cash registers, as well as provide hardware support on NCR and other hardware. NCR Retailix is an integrated payment system. Not all stores with NCR hardware also use NCR as a payment processor. Remember those security breaches at Home Depot last year? The hackers targeted NCR Retalix.
Interesting. Does that mean Home Depot doesn't use it any more or is something else going on there that's allowing them to have EMV?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:28 am

Well I switched to a S6 Edge Plus. Waiting for the stupid beta email. Hurry up Samsung!!!!! How long is this going to take!!!!

Anyway....

Does LoopPay work for anyone else at Target? It gave me a card swipe read error every time I tried both before/after the EMV rollout.
My loop pay fob works at Target after EMV was enabled, I hold it where I think the read heads are and it works the first time. Target will be bring Apple Pay to stores early next year which will pretty much replace mst.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.