Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by ianmanka
When I got my Citi AAdvantage EMV card, I requested PayPass-enabled cards online, and each replacement card did not have it. After a few calls to Citi customer service, two supervisor levels up confirmed that PayPass can not be on an EMV card.
Some have stated that the debit cards can have both. I could just refuse to activate the chip card and see what they have to say.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:38 am

Went to the theater that has an ice cream vending that would reject MC debit effectively blocking out GW. That terminal used to advertise SoftCard. Tried it and surprisingly it worked! Think the processor is USA technologies as the receipt in GW shows USA*Snack Soda Vendi. Also went to Honolulu cookie company, a retailer that is listed on the paypass site. The MX915 shows 4 dots but when I used GW the transaction errored out. At another location they said the error was something like invalid payment
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Some have stated that the debit cards can have both. I could just refuse to activate the chip card and see what they have to say.
Your original card expires 30 days from when they send the new card.

What's weird is that Patrick.Barnes mentioned earlier in the thread that he received an EMV debit card with both a contact and contactless interface from Citi. Yet his wife received a non-contactless EMV card and the chip debit FAQ on the Citi website specifically mentions that the Citi EMV debit does not have Paypass and my Citigold account manager told me the same thing. I don't know what to make of it but with Apple Pay and Android Pay, I don't care either way.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Walked by an ARCO this morning and saw this on their gas pumps:

I'm going to guess that black square is a space for a future NFC reader and not an indication that one is installed. Would one that's installed but not enabled look significantly different at all?

Also I thought I saw a contactless logo flash on the screen at Rite Aid but it was way too quick for me to be sure.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Walked by an ARCO this morning and saw this on their gas pumps:

I'm going to guess that black square is a space for a future NFC reader and not an indication that one is installed. Would one that's installed but not enabled look significantly different at all?

Also I thought I saw a contactless logo flash on the screen at Rite Aid but it was way too quick for me to be sure.
Good find! I wouldn't be surprised as Arco takes Apple Pay inside. As for Rite Aid, you did see a contactless logo! NFC is turned on, but still declines on the backend. Possible future re-enabling?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I thought Rite-Aid was part of the MCX or whatever that Walmart thing was.

So they do take contactless but not AP.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by wco81

Tell that to Target and Best Buy, they're on the verge of enabling Apple Pay anyway.

Also look at Meijer who has the honor of being both an Apple Pay and MCX member.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by wco81

No, they don't take contactless at all, NFC is just turned on at the terminal level.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Good find! I wouldn't be surprised as Arco takes Apple Pay inside. As for Rite Aid, you did see a contactless logo! NFC is turned on, but still declines on the backend. Possible future re-enabling?
I looked more closely at the full-sized photo and it probably doesn't have an NFC reader. However, one could be added in the future, and I see what looks like an EMV chip in the card graphic near the slot. Considering they charge a fee to use a debit card I'm likely not going to try either any time soon.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:52 pm

So I went back into the Sinclair gas station that didn't work due to my phone being in limbo land that time and I was able to use Google Wallet on their FD35 pinpad, it also printed out a merchant copy with a signature slip but the cashier who was the same as last time didn't make me sign it. :P I'm also pretty sure EMV is enabled as over a year ago I did not have to press sale then they enter the amount on the FD card machine and it says Present Card $amount. I'm pretty sure when it did fail to work due to my phone it said Swipe/Insert card on the screen of the FD35 pinpad.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Tell that to Target and Best Buy, they're on the verge of enabling Apple Pay anyway.
Best Buy is. Target isn't necessarily. What Target said was more like "well, we might consider it after we've enabled EMV" - no commitments, and definitely a not anytime soon.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I had to fight to use Apple Pay today at a local store. I reamed the manager who eventually took the time to learn how to run it. They all say "we don't have it" but "we do have chip card"

We really need a contactless mandate like Europe. I shouldn't have to yell and make a scene to just use Apple Pay.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I had to fight to use Apple Pay today at a local store. I reamed the manager who eventually took the time to learn how to run it. They all say "we don't have it" but "we do have chip card"

We really need a contactless mandate like Europe. I shouldn't have to yell and make a scene to just use Apple Pay.
There needs to be more stuff like this (of course, newer than the photo):

Or some sort of other customer-facing thing anyway.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Best Buy is. Target isn't necessarily. What Target said was more like "well, we might consider it after we've enabled EMV" - no commitments, and definitely a not anytime soon.
On Twitter Target has said that they are working on bring Apple Pay to their stores, but did not offer a timeline on when it will be, but I have heard early next year.
"AskTarget ‏@AskTarget Aug 2 @JohnG500 Thanks for asking. We’re working on bringing this technology to the stores so keep an eye out. Goodnight!"
"AskTarget ‏@AskTarget 21 hours ago @JohnG500 Thanks for reaching back out. We don't have that information to share yet. Thanks and have a good night!"
I would not be surprised if Target showed up on the Apple Pay page very soon.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's an article I saw today about Apple Pay's issues with AmEx in the UK: http://contactless.life/2015/08/03/a...ress-disaster/. Sounds like it's a really huge problem over there. (In a bit of irony, Apple Pay with AmEx works a lot better in the US than the contactless BCE card that I have.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.