Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Disappointingly, liquor stores here have pin pads for swiped debit ONLY!
Well I'm sure many liquor stores will accept it soon, that seems to be the case in many areas. This place had Verifone mx8xx with emv slots so why they upgraded to iSC250's is anyones guess, for Apple Pay support maybe? :P Also this isn't the only place recently where I have seen iSC250's with contactless enabled on them the last place was a Phillips 66 gas station. But that station was the only one that worked, others with the same name did not have it on.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I caused the card reader on one of the vending machines at work to reboot by tapping my AmEx contactless card. It actually finished authorizing the transaction too because I got a notification from AmEx on my phone. Maybe that's why there were only V/MC/Discover logos on it?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I caused the card reader on one of the vending machines at work to reboot by tapping my AmEx contactless card. It actually finished authorizing the transaction too because I got a notification from AmEx on my phone. Maybe that's why there were only V/MC/Discover logos on it?
Well, I can tell you that even in a mature contactless market (the UK), contactless Amex is widely NOT accepted. Even major chains like Starbucks and Superdrug refuse Amex contactless (contact-only) but take contactless Visa/MC.

Starbucks employees claim Amex requires a separate contract for contactless that Starbucks isn't willing to pay for. Sounds like made-up BS but I've heard it at a few different Starbucks locations, so I wonder if they're being told that from above...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AllieKat

Starbucks employees claim Amex requires a separate contract for contactless that Starbucks isn't willing to pay for. Sounds like made-up BS but I've heard it at a few different Starbucks locations, so I wonder if they're being told that from above...
It is. In their stores with new Ingenico terminals (very limited amount at the moment and only outside of the M25 area) Amex contactless works fine.

Unfortunatly Superdrug got their contactless terminals from Worldpay before they started to support Amex Contactless. Elavon is now the only UK merchant bank not to support it and they will from the start of 2016.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Has anyone heard if Apple will increase the number of cards you can put into Apple Pay in iOS 9?

Or is the secure element too limited to store more than the current 8?

I heard they were expanding AP to include rewards cards but if they keep the capacity at 8 cards, it's not going to be useful having to choose among different kinds of cards.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Has anyone heard if Apple will increase the number of cards you can put into Apple Pay in iOS 9?

Or is the secure element too limited to store more than the current 8?

I heard they were expanding AP to include rewards cards but if they keep the capacity at 8 cards, it's not going to be useful having to choose among different kinds of cards.
They probably don't need to keep loyalty cards (that aren't store-branded credit cards) in the secure element, though I could be wrong on that. It likely depends on how iOS communicates with it and the NFC radio.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If it wasn't such a hassle to re-add cards, it wouldn't be a big deal to shuffle them as needed, deleting them and re-adding if necessary.

But some banks change the authorization procedures. For instance, I tried to re-add a BofA card and they wanted me to send in materials or some such nonsense so I didn't re-add them.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Talk About Awkward!

I noticed that a restaurant I sometimes go to had a Square terminal now; however, at the register itself I saw an FD-40 also alongside it. So, I asked if the manager could use my WF card as contactless instead of swiping, and he agreed. It took long enough with the FD-40 (probably a good two minutes) that I asked whether he was on dial-up; he said no. Right after that, he suddenly inserted my card in the EMV slot. When I cried "No!" he replied "I understand you don't want to sign, but contactless will need probably another two minutes more to load (there were people waiting behind me)." Next thing I know, he trying to pass me the tethered terminal to enter the tip! I would've had to do so at such an awkward angle that I motioned him to take the terminal back and add $1.50 for me. The device then printed the signature slip with the tip included, exactly as I would want a PIN transaction to work. I'll try my UN card there next time to see whether I get a tip entry prompt or not.

Hard to believe it would take almost l five minutes for NFC to work, but I suppose most folks turn on (initialize) their FD first at the start of business?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Fun at the Post Office

So, I'm heading back through the lobby after checking my box and there's a rather agitated customer at the APC machine. I asked if I might help, and she points to the screen saying "I can't enter my PIN!" Ears perking up at that, I looked on while she poked uselessly at the PIN area. Next I looked at her card, a chip-less B of A debit one; that ruled out her not keeping it in the machine for EMV. I suggested she hit CREDIT, which caused a response of "But, it's not a credit card!" I told her to try it anyway, and to her utter surprise the transaction was immediately approved, and her stamps popped out of the machine. I then took her aside, explaining that she should just think of a "credit" choice as meaning "Bypass PIN?" if she encounters it again.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I noticed that a restaurant I sometimes go to had a Square terminal now; however, at the register itself I saw an FD-40 also alongside it. So, I asked if the manager could use my WF card as contactless instead of swiping, and he agreed. It took long enough with the FD-40 (probably a good two minutes) that I asked whether he was on dial-up; he said no. Right after that, he suddenly inserted my card in the EMV slot. When I cried "No!" he replied "I understand you don't want to sign, but contactless will need probably another two minutes more to load (there were people waiting behind me)." Next thing I know, he trying to pass me the tethered terminal to enter the tip! I would've had to do so at such an awkward angle that I motioned him to take the terminal back and add $1.50 for me. The device then printed the signature slip with the tip included, exactly as I would want a PIN transaction to work. I'll try my UN card there next time to see whether I get a tip entry prompt or not.

Hard to believe it would take almost l five minutes for NFC to work, but I suppose most folks turn on (initialize) their FD first at the start of business?
A little confusing there. It sounds like the FD-40 wasn't turned on, so you had to wait for it to boot up, and then after about two minutes it's on enough that it can do EMV but not contactless?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
A little confusing there. It sounds like the FD-40 wasn't turned on, so you had to wait for it to boot up, and then after about two minutes it's on enough that it can do EMV but not contactless?
That was my understanding. It could have been that in his experience contactless is slower than EMV, so he wasn't willing to take any more time with folks behind me. I suppose had I been using an actual phone, and not willing to fish out a card, we'd have all had to wait.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:34 pm

Hidden in the recent Apple conference call was a mention that 700 colleges & universities in the US would begin accepting Apple Pay this fall. I haven't been able to find a list or if it is affiliated with a certain contractor (such as Aramark for food or Follett or B&N for bookstores).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.cultofmac.com/383745/42-o...sed-apple-pay/

That's way more than the 6% that some have been claiming. Then again I believe the 6% number wasn't that recent.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:47 pm

So I just got my new debit card from Citibank for my new account (switching to them for a permeant stay) and it has PayPass as requested. Not sure if it will still have that when they send me an EMV one in the next few months.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
So I just got my new debit card from Citibank for my new account (switching to them for a permeant stay) and it has PayPass as requested. Not sure if it will still have that when they send me an EMV one in the next few months.
When I got my Citi AAdvantage EMV card, I requested PayPass-enabled cards online, and each replacement card did not have it. After a few calls to Citi customer service, two supervisor levels up confirmed that PayPass can not be on an EMV card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.