Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Looks like some developers are finding a way to work with ApplePay to provide solutions for restaurant payments:

http://www.nfcworld.com/2014/10/21/3...pay-pay-table/
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Vid
But who decides if it is 'your' card? Is it sufficient to create an iTunes account that matches the name on the card?
When you add a card to your iPhone, Apple sends the card issuer certain information about your device. This includes the last four digit of your phone number, the name of your device, and the latitude and longitude of the device's current location rounded to whole numbers. Banks use this information to determine whether to approve the card or require additional verification.

Additional verification can include a code sent via text or email to contact information that the bank has on file. When adding one of my Chase cards, I was required to input a code that the bank sent to me via text message.

Source: iOS Security Guide, October 2014 (PDF Link. Pages 24-29 describe how Apple Pay works.)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:57 am
Vid

Originally Posted by zolk
When you add a card to your iPhone, Apple sends the card issuer certain information about your device. This includes the last four digit of your phone number, the name of your device, and the latitude and longitude of the device's current location rounded to whole numbers. Banks use this information to determine whether to approve the card or require additional verification.

Additional verification can include a code sent via text or email to contact information that the bank has on file. When adding one of my Chase cards, I was required to input a code that the bank sent to me via text message.

Source: iOS Security Guide, October 2014 (PDF Link. Pages 24-29 describe how Apple Pay works.)
Thanks for the reference. Adding a card to Apple Pay is much like adding an authorized user to your account, so I'm glad there are authentication procedures that involve 'out-of-band' communication based on previously established contact info. Physical cards are 'authenticated' using US Mail delivery, and this is impossible when provisioning Apple Pay.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Looks like some developers are finding a way to work with ApplePay to provide solutions for restaurant payments:

http://www.nfcworld.com/2014/10/21/3...pay-pay-table/
A recent update to the OpenTable app mentions the ability to pay at the table as well. More at http://pay.opentable.com. Looks like it works without ApplePay as well just by adding a card to the app.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Rite Aid just remembered that they needed to turn off their NFC readers to support CurrentC, with expected results.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:10 pm

I hope CurrentC fails in a spectacular, miserable, miserable way...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexmt
I hope CurrentC fails in a spectacular, miserable, miserable way...
What's possible too is that CurrentC introduces enough FUD that NFC and mobile payments never take off in the US. No one will try again for a very long time after seeing how Apple Pay "failed" and we'll be the only major country that still "dips the chip". OTOH we might end up with tokenization on the cards themselves and maybe more PIN priority cards to compensate.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by tmiw
What's possible too is that CurrentC introduces enough FUD that NFC and mobile payments never take off in the US. No one will try again for a very long time after seeing how Apple Pay "failed" and we'll be the only major country that still "dips the chip". OTOH we might end up with tokenization on the cards themselves and maybe more PIN priority cards to compensate.
Most likely it's going to be another Betamax vs VHS format war. There can only be one winner.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:32 pm

Which Walmart has stated is their goal. They don't necessarily want MCX to win. They just want to hurt Visa. They said as much.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'd go to Rite Aid, bring things up to the counter and if they don't take Apple Pay, walk out the door, let them know you won't support CurrentC or whatever it is.

CurrentC doesn't support credit cards so it would be a like a store demanding cash only all of a sudden. Most businesses will say something like $10 minimum purchase for credit cards, have signs to that effect.

Unless they have signs saying no Apple Pay or mobile payments, , they're changing consumer expectations.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
I'd go to Rite Aid, bring things up to the counter and if they don't take Apple Pay, walk out the door, let them know you won't support CurrentC or whatever it is.

CurrentC doesn't support credit cards so it would be a like a store demanding cash only all of a sudden. Most businesses will say something like $10 minimum purchase for credit cards, have signs to that effect.

Unless they have signs saying no Apple Pay or mobile payments, , they're changing consumer expectations.
I don't think that'll do much other than piss off the clerk (who has no say over his employer's payment policies). It's like those people who pay their Comcast bill with only pennies.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:10 pm

I now have a dual interface Blue Cash Everyday. Excellent design and works great.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexmt
I now have a dual interface Blue Cash Everyday. Excellent design and works great.
Any indication whether it's EMV contactless or just MSD?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:55 pm

Any indication whether it's EMV contactless or just MSD?
EMV
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Most likely it's going to be another Betamax vs VHS format war. There can only be one winner.
Yes, DVD. I mean Blue Ray. I mean...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.