Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
So here's a reader I haven't seen before:

Couldn't see the terminal it was plugged into. Any ideas? (BTW, Apple Pay worked with no issue.)
What store was this?
Old May 29, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
What store was this?
Small deli near me.
Old May 29, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
What store was this?
These are generally connected to a PAX terminal, through a merchant service provider called HarborTouch
Old May 29, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh I'm so sorry for the badly sized and rotated image This is why I don't normally post them from my phone; tinypic is blocked at my workplace so I didn't see this until now. Edited original post appropriately.

Anyway, apparently most Target employees have no love for CurrentC. And it takes 10 seconds to run a transaction with it. That seems crazy unacceptable.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:37 pm

Ugh I'm so sorry for the badly sized and rotated image This is why I don't normally post them from my phone; tinypic is blocked at my workplace so I didn't see this until now. Edited original post appropriately.

Anyway, apparently most Target employees have no love for CurrentC. And it takes 10 seconds to run a transaction with it. That seems crazy unacceptable.
CurrentC is DoA. ApplePay and Google Wallet are all about speeding up the checkout process, but this seems slower than swiping a card. And Target emphasizes transaction speed and rates cashiers on it..
Old May 29, 2015, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by t325
CurrentC is DoA. ApplePay and Google Wallet are all about speeding up the checkout process, but this seems slower than swiping a card. And Target emphasizes transaction speed and rates cashiers on it..
Does Target take checks? That's got to suck for the cashier that gets to do that transaction.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:25 am

So we finally got a Haggen, and Apple Pay worked there flawlessly. The terminal doesn't say anything but "Please Slide Card", hopefully they'll put the contactless logo or something on there soon.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
These are generally connected to a PAX terminal, through a merchant service provider called HarborTouch
There was a hack at least at for some HarborTouch merchants: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/05/h...vendor-breach/ Also http://paxtechnology.us/en/product/i...00000050726925 that one looks like a rip off MX915 and this one looks a lot like an iSC480: http://paxtechnology.us/en/product/i...00000051418554 hmmm.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:01 pm

Does Target take checks? That's got to suck for the cashier that gets to do that transaction.
I assume they still do. Can't wait for the day when retailers stop taking them.

I worked there a little over 10 years ago and HATED people who still paid in checks. Even worse are the people who don't start writing it out until after you've scanned all their stuff. If you're going to hold up the line with a check, at least do everyone else a favor and start writing it out before hand.
Old May 30, 2015, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a suspicion that the reason I was asked for a signature when I tapped my Diner's Club card at that grocery store that one time was because I may have spent more than $50 there. Today I tapped that same card for a ~$5 purchase and was still asked for a signature. I wish I had an EMV contactless card that actually works there (IIRC contactless AmEx immediately declined there just like at Walgreens when I tried it a while ago) so I can confirm for sure that they're using mobile CVM for Apple Pay transactions. If they are then I don't think the customer receipt from FD terminals shows that it was used, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by t325
I assume they still do. Can't wait for the day when retailers stop taking them.

I worked there a little over 10 years ago and HATED people who still paid in checks. Even worse are the people who don't start writing it out until after you've scanned all their stuff. If you're going to hold up the line with a check, at least do everyone else a favor and start writing it out before hand.
Other countries got merchants to stop taking them by eliminating guarantees for them. In the US I don't think we ever had guarantees, but we also don't really have any way to instantly transfer money from person to person. Fortunately the use of checks at the POS seems to be pretty rare if you're under 50.
Old May 30, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
There was a hack at least at for some HarborTouch merchants: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/05/h...vendor-breach/ Also http://paxtechnology.us/en/product/i...00000050726925 that one looks like a rip off MX915 and this one looks a lot like an iSC480: http://paxtechnology.us/en/product/i...00000051418554 hmmm.
I was not the only one who thought that was a ripoff, lol! I believe First Data terminals are better made than Pax. Every time I messed with a Pax terminal, the entire thing felt like it was made cheaply too, and the plastics creaked. Crappy terminals indeed.

The contactless terminal doesn't look too bad however.
Old May 30, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was not the only one who thought that was a ripoff, lol! I believe First Data terminals are better made than Pax. Every time I messed with a Pax terminal, the entire thing felt like it was made cheaply too, and the plastics creaked. Crappy terminals indeed.

The contactless terminal doesn't look too bad however.
Thinking about it some more, I would be okay (even though it's not ideal) if most EMV terminals in the US were never customer accessible as long as:
  1. PIN is disabled as a CVM so that foreign cards and the very few US PIN preferring cards downgrade to C&S.
  2. There is some sort of customer accessible NFC/contactless reader (e.g. like that place I went to yesterday).
Of course, this is operating under the assumption that 90%+ of US cards will never be anything other than chip and signature. And the restaurant thing would still be a problem too.

BTW maybe it was a good thing that I used Apple Pay at that business considering HarborTouch's breach.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:17 pm

Thinking about it some more, I would be okay (even though it's not ideal) if most EMV terminals in the US were never customer accessible as long as:
  1. PIN is disabled as a CVM so that foreign cards and the very few US PIN preferring cards downgrade to C&S.
  2. There is some sort of customer accessible NFC/contactless reader (e.g. like that place I went to yesterday).
Of course, this is operating under the assumption that 90%+ of US cards will never be anything other than chip and signature. And the restaurant thing would still be a problem too.

BTW maybe it was a good thing that I used Apple Pay at that business considering HarborTouch's breach.
I think most EMV terminals are customer accessible judging by moves by Chick Fil A, Rubios, Panera etc. these places all used to be "hand the card over" places.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think most EMV terminals are customer accessible judging by moves by Chick Fil A, Rubios, Panera etc. these places all used to be "hand the card over" places.
I wonder if the possibility of using the debit networks to cut costs played at least partly into that. Has anyone tried swiping a debit card at one of these places to see if it asks for a PIN?
Old May 30, 2015, 5:21 pm

I wonder if the possibility of using the debit networks to cut costs played at least partly into that. Has anyone tried swiping a debit card at one of these places to see if it asks for a PIN?
I have, they don't ask for a PIN, and they run as credit. The only reason they did this obviously was for EMV, because they still would rather maintain integrated card processing. Hopefully CFA do NFC soon when they turn on EMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.