Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Local Bank CC offer, $150 bonus after purchase, take it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Local Bank CC offer, $150 bonus after purchase, take it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:30 pm

most likely if $150 is for checking you are going get a 1099 from bank also
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
It's customary here to not include the points from actual spend in the calculation, because there's often many offers for large bonuses that include differing (relatively) small spend amounts.

However, if you go to that step, you should also figure your opportunity cost of that spend.

Hypothetical situation - you have a card such as JCB which pays 3% cash back. Barclays pays 2.2%.

When you factor in the $3000 in spend, your actual benefit is $444 + ($67-$90) = $421.

You can also use a similar model if you have to manufacture the spend, to capture the cost of that additional spend.
Well, the highest straight cashback card I have is Quicksilver by CO which gives me 1.5% (except Amex Blue Cash Preferred, which I still use for 6% back on groceries, no matter what other cards I have, so that doesn't factor in)

So, $444 + ($67-$45) = $466.00. Still pretty darn good.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I would not waste a HP or my time on a $150 bonus, even for TP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.