Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated 2014-] Best credit card for travel insurance (miles or cash)

[Consolidated 2014-] Best credit card for travel insurance (miles or cash)

Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:44 am

Is Partial Airline GC With CC Eligible for Insurance?

Many of the high value CCs I've recently acquired come with airline reimbursements which include GCs that have little to no protection. I'm presuming that for personal CC rights to be employed an expenditure for the covered item most occur. Could one pay 99% with the GC and 1% with the CC and be covered fully under the CC's protections (lost baggage, trip cancellation, etc.) for the award fees/fuel surdcharges?

TIA

P.S. I'm sure this may have been answered elsewhere, but couldn't find a hot word/phrase to pull useful information. Please let me know if there's more extensive data elsewhere.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Is Partial Airline GC With CC Eligible for Insurance?

I'm relatively sure that the T&Cs for most of the Amex travel insurance products require that the "entire" ticket/fare be paid for using the card that provides such coverage.

Not sure about other cards or how this works in practice, though.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
On the CC's I have they all say the ticket must be purchased in full by the CC to be eligible for insurance. So check your T&C's but I'm pretty sure they are all the same.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I don't know about the US version (or even if they've open up new applications again) but I'm pretty sure my Diners Club (Japan) has coverage even if I don't charge it to the card. I need to find the booklet again.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:44 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
As of a year or two ago, the trip delay coverage on the UA Explorer applied in a partial payment situation.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:13 pm

Best credit card to pay award ticket taxes for insurance purposes

Since award ticket taxes and fees are relatively low, if one wishes to maximize benefits and insurance (lost luggage, delays, cancellations) instead of accruing points for the purchase, which credit card should be used?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:17 am

I have a similar question. I'm traveling to Europe 12/30/14-1/8/15 and after the terrible winter for travel last year, I was wanting to know which card had the best trip delay/interruption insurance? I'm hoping to use the best one that I have to pay for the taxes/fees on my award ticket with AA. I am an authorized user on an INK Bold and I have a Freedom and 2 Citi AA Execs. I've read that the trip delay/interruption insurance for INK Bold was great, but didn't know if that would apply to an authorized user.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Do you even qualify for the insurance protections from a credit card if you are only paying taxes/fees and not any actual fare?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:05 pm

here's a recent blog post about this:

Here’s How Travel Insurance Works With Award Tickets
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....award-tickets/
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:47 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by istroke
here's a recent blog post about this:

Here’s How Travel Insurance Works With Award Tickets
{link removed}
That's a very thin article on a complicated topic. His lack of experience in this area is appalling. Don't write if you don't know jack.

Back on topic and ignoring the medical part of it in favor of compensation for delays and luggage.... I'd call Chase and ask them. I've filed multiple claims with chase and they are good as long as you meet the T&C and have receipts for everything. Unfortunately, all claims happen to be on paid tickets.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:55 am

There is a prior FTG post where a claim was made on an award ticket with Chase, but I'm not sure if that would extend to the authorized user or not.

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2014/...th-points.html

My 5 day AA hold was up last night, so I went ahead and payed the taxes/fees with the Ink Bold. Maybe I'll learn a little more info between now and my trip, and if I have to make a claim then I'll be sure to update with some data points.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:30 pm

Similar report here, see comment #8 of successful claim with Chase Sapphire Preferred:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....age-gets-lost/
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:05 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Travel delay coverage experiences with Chase cards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...rotection.html
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

I called Chase and asked about this a few months ago. Here's what they told me regarding the Ink Bold:

They'll insure any portion of your trip that was paid for with the card (including flights booked with points, and taxes/fees paid with that card), up to the total value of the expenses for that trip that were paid for with that card. In other words, if you pay the $11.20 in taxes & fees for your award ticket with your Ink Bold, but also pay $800 for a hotel and $200 for a rental car with your Ink Bold, Chase will provide coverage of up to $1011.20 for any portion of that trip. That includes delayed flights, lost luggage, etc., even though you paid for the flight with points.

I didn't specifically ask about medical coverage, but it sounds like they consider this a covered trip, which would (I assume) mean that you'd have the standard medical coverage from any covered trip.

Of course, this was ~6 months ago, and things could have changed. I'd recommend calling to double check for yourself.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:02 am

Some more useful info from a blog post today:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....el-room-meals/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.