Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Sign in using an external account

Old Yesterday, 5:42 pm   #1

Citi targeted offer to college student

Hi -

My 20 year old college student daughter (FICO of 755, currently holds a Discover card) received a targeted (snail mail) Citicard/AA 50K miles on $3K spend in 3 months offer.

Here's my question: her annual income is very low (currently something like $5,000) not counting the expenses (rent, food) we pay for her (which would bring her income up to something like $15,000). We haven't done the application yet, because I'm concerned that her low level of income will trigger a rejection, or if she's accepted her credit level will be so low that we can't get the bonus.

Has anyone out there been in this position? I appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanks!
schneider4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 5:57 pm   #2

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Just use any" income that she can reasonably access to pay her bills" officially they say you have to be 21, but unofficially no one cares

Also read this while you are at it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgAAFT View Post
Check out these threads
Can someone guide me on the right path. Dont want to make the wrong decision
Which card is easiest to get for a student with low income?

And possibly
New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here.

Whatever you end up doing, Go EASY at first or you'll end up doing something wrong or get shut down by the bank
Neither of which should be your intended outcomes
rgAAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:35 pm   #3

Success!

Just did the online application, and she was accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneider4 View Post
Hi -

My 20 year old college student daughter (FICO of 755, currently holds a Discover card) received a targeted (snail mail) Citicard/AA 50K miles on $3K spend in 3 months offer.

Here's my question: her annual income is very low (currently something like $5,000) not counting the expenses (rent, food) we pay for her (which would bring her income up to something like $15,000). We haven't done the application yet, because I'm concerned that her low level of income will trigger a rejection, or if she's accepted her credit level will be so low that we can't get the bonus.

Has anyone out there been in this position? I appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanks!
schneider4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:40 pm   #4

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneider4 View Post
Just did the online application, and she was accepted!
Glad to hear, I want to welcome both of you to Flyertalk and happy travels (both current and future)
rgAAFT is offline   Reply With Quote