Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong credit card with no foreign transaction fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Silver, MR Gold, SPG Gold, A|Club Plat

Hello,

Does anyone know of a Hong Kong credit card that has no foreign transaction fees?

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:43 pm

Bank Of China ( Hong Kong) UnionPay branded cards has no foreign transaction fees.

http://www.boci.com.hk/eng/cs/boci_cs_important.php#01

You can also consider the Standard Chartered Bank American Express Card.

http://www.standardchartered.com.hk/...press-card/en/

It has a 2% FTF, however foreign transactions get 6X rewards bonus.
The points, if redeem for cash, is a 2.3% Cashback; thus more than offset the FTF.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: Qantas, BA, MH, Asia Miles, AA
Smile More questions on the credit cards with no foreign transaction fees

Thanks for this info. Can I please ask a couple of things?

With the BOC cards, do you have to pay via Union Pay in order to not have any foreign transaction fee?

WIth the Standard Chartered card, how do you redeem cash using the points? I looked at the site and could only see shopping vouchers at various places. I didn't take that as being a real cash credit.

For both, do they charge any spread on the FX rate given by the relevant credit card company eg AMEX or do you get the actual FX rate?

Sorry, I had a look at them both but couldn't find that info so was hoping you might know. This is the bain of frustration here for me in HK as in the UK, there are cards with nil foreign transaction fees and no additional spread on the FX rate given by Visa or Mastercard.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I can answer the first one-

Your only choice is to pay by UnionPay if you have a UnionPay card. They have dual-logo Visa/MC/AmEx/JCB+UnionPay cards on the mainland, but not elsewhere (HK included).

And jeez, the BoC website says maximum 36% APR.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Go | CX Sl | CZ SL | Accor Plat | SPG Gold
Does anyone know if there is a Visa/Amex or Mastercard in HK without foreign transaction fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.