Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit September 2019 and beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of the previous version of this benefit (July 2017 - August 2019) is HERE.

Effective September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Originally Posted by helvetic
Actually, no, the benefit cut is the reason I'm being ridiculous. I normally just booked stays day of arrival via phone.

I just sent in 89 booking requests over the next year, a dozen or so are already booked. Email is definitely the way to go.

I need to book a stay for tomorrow and so need to call for that. I was on hold 45min, call dropped. Now it's been 90min and still waiting. Crazy.
Citi has only confirmed that bookings made prior to 9/1 don’t count towards the limit of 2 credits for the 2019 year. Citi hasn’t confirmed that bookings made prior to 9/1 for stays in 2020 do not count towards the 2020 limit. It’s entirely possible you’ll end up paying full price for any 2020 stays beyond the first two.

Last edited by javabytes; Aug 31, 2019 at 10:57 pm
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:55 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by javabytes

Citi has only confirmed that bookings made prior to 9/1 don’t count towards the limit of 2 credits for the 2019 year. Citi hasn’t confirmed that bookings made prior to 9/1 for stays in 2020 do not count. It’s entirely possible you’ll end up paying full price for any 2020 stays beyond the first two.
Well they're all refundable bookings, so if that turns out to be the case I'll just cancel them all. 🤷🏼.♂️
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:31 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Renard
I know one thing. I'll be putting no-non 4th night free hotel spend on my prestige. Not that they'll care. The CRS, Hyatt Card, USBank Altitude (maybe Marriott) are all arguably better cards for this than the Prestige (assuming paying at the property). Longterm I'm not sure what my future with the card will be
How are any of those cards better for hotel stays?
The CSR awards 3x points for hotels just like the Prestige, doesn't it?

I don't know anything about the other cards you mentioned.

I'm not doing anything with my Prestige. Even with the 2x 4NF from this point on I will still MAKE money by keeping this card.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Renard
I know one thing. I'll be putting no-non 4th night free hotel spend on my prestige. Not that they'll care. The CRS, Hyatt Card, USBank Altitude (maybe Marriott) are all arguably better cards for this than the Prestige (assuming paying at the property). Longterm I'm not sure what my future with the card will be
I'm with you here. I suggest opening a Premier card before you consider closing this, given Citi's 24 month rules.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by 355F1
.. Even with the 2x 4NF from this point on I will still MAKE money by keeping this card.
You have you compared the prices through Citi's vendor with prices elsewhere?

I'm reading from a lot of people that Citi ups the nightly prices of your room, so the 4th night benefit is just a marketing tactic. When you're paying an additional $41 per night for four nights at a $160/night room, that's where Citi gets you... And they don't even cover the tax anymore.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:22 am

I always compare.. so far no issues (on the one booking I made through the portal). The price on the portal was actually about $1 less per night than on the hotel website... go figure!

FWIW I am also sticking with the prestige despite the changes. Have looked at CSR but with the 5x points on restaurants and now these hotel bookings through the portal I am earning on average close to 3 points per dollar spent on the card (I use it for everything, don’t optimize over multiple cards). I have to imagine I would earn Arbogast least 1 point per dollar less on average with the CSR so on 75k spend that’s a not insignificant amount. Combined with the still very useful (for me) 4th night benefit (typically save around $500-$1000 each time I use it) it is hard to beat this card. I may look to add another card for travel insurance but it may also just be more worth it to buy a separate travel insurance policy and not worry about it.

Last edited by noahsi; Sep 3, 2019 at 7:26 am Reason: Adding info
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Now that it is past 9/1, we still have 2 stays remaining we can book in the 2019 calendar year, correct? Or is it going to be 2 stays between 9/1/2019 and 9/1/2020?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:07 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Now that it is past 9/1, we still have 2 stays remaining we can book in the 2019 calendar year, correct? Or is it going to be 2 stays between 9/1/2019 and 9/1/2020?

I too would like a definitive answer on this!
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 355F1
I too would like a definitive answer on this!
When I search for hotels at thankyou.com it says:

You have 2 of 2 Complimentary 4th Night hotel stays remaining this calendar year.

My understanding is that I can book 2 through thankyou.com for 2019 and 2 more for 2020.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:44 pm

Has anyone made 4NF bookings under the new system, and if so, do you get elite benefits/elite credit for the bookings?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Has anyone made 4NF bookings under the new system, and if so, do you get elite benefits/elite credit for the bookings?
If the booking are made online they will be seen as Online Travel Agency or Consolidator bookings, and most chains do not recognize status or award points for those stays.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:36 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Originally Posted by mia
If the booking are made online they will be seen as Online Travel Agency or Consolidator bookings, and most chains do not recognize status or award points for those stays.
mia is correct.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:25 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Yesterday was my first time doing a booking via thankyou.com vs. Aspire concierge. It is a Marriott Luxury Collection hotel. A few things to note:
  • The room categories on the site are often confusing and poorly correlated with the Marriott website.
  • There's a bunch of fine print that sounds sketchy like, "Due to hotel supplier policies applicable to our preferred rates, your name may not be provided to the hotel property until 24 hours prior to your arrival." What??
  • The cancellation policies were very unclear. For a refundable rate it would say something like, "Changes or cancellations received within three (3) days of check-in date will be subject to a supplier cancellation fee equal to one-night room and tax. Cancellations or modifications received at any time will be subject to program service fees, in addition to any supplier fees, when applicable." Well, that's vague. So there might be fees but they are not divulged anywhere. I called 1-800-THANKYOU and they were apologetic that 1) they couldn't clarify, 2) they use a different service and all of their rates are non-refundable.
  • Once the booking was made, I got on chat with Marriott to see if they could find my reservation. He said, "I apologize, because this is an Expedia Reservation and not booked on the Marriott Website or the Marriott App, we would not be able to add the account number to the reservation." But they were able to email me a Marriott confirmation so I could confirm the room category was what I thought.
The thing about not giving your name to the hotel until 24 hours is very strange to me. Anyone know why that might be?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by david22
Y
The thing about not giving your name to the hotel until 24 hours is very strange to me. Anyone know why that might be?
I believe I have seen similar language on hotels.com. I think this covers a theoretical situation where the agency has booked a certain number of rooms but does not provide the name of the guest until close to check-in. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
....covers a theoretical situation where the agency has booked a certain number of rooms but does not provide the name of the guest until close to check-in. ...
It isn't theoretical. The large travel agencies (Expedia and Priceline) buy room nights in bulk. Connexions can shop your reservation until the last minute to obtain the best price (for them, not for you). We do have reports from posters who contacted hotel in advance to find no record of reservation, and some who arrived to find no reservation entered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.