Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JBG89
... a regular fare...
What does a regular fare mean in the context of an award flight?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:32 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
maybe he just means Y.

JBG89 - it really depends on how many points you have to redeem and how you value them. you can transfer to TG to go from NYC to BKK on a TATL *A award via FRA. good news is that recently proposed TG devals (where prices doubled) have been indefinitely put on hold tho still not good value redeeming from their own program. but if you have a ton of TYPs, then by all means.

other options are TPC CX: JFK or EWR to HKG to BKK.

other TATL options:
EY: JFK to AUH to BKK
QR: JFK to DOH to BKK
SQ: JFK to SIN to BKK
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: N/A
Thanks for the help guys and yep i was talking about economy.

Right now I only have about 90,000 points combined and fly international about once a year and domestic 4-5 times a year. I was looking to spend about 70k of them as that is what it would cost my AAdvantage account.

Whew I had to google a few of those acronyms below. Out of the ones listed, is there one that you believe is the best value (70k ish points) without having to sit in a terrible seat? Im trying to google the points transfer ratios and awards charts but they are sometimes not as straightforward as one would hope.

I also have 300k AAdvantage points amongst myself and my SO, would those be better to use to book (They dont fly to SE asia from NYC though, however maybe some of their xfer partners might?)

Originally Posted by FTRox87
maybe he just means Y.

JBG89 - it really depends on how many points you have to redeem and how you value them. you can transfer to TG to go from NYC to BKK on a TATL *A award via FRA. good news is that recently proposed TG devals (where prices doubled) have been indefinitely put on hold tho still not good value redeeming from their own program. but if you have a ton of TYPs, then by all means.

other options are TPC CX: JFK or EWR to HKG to BKK.

other TATL options:
EY: JFK to AUH to BKK
QR: JFK to DOH to BKK
SQ: JFK to SIN to BKK
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:59 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
AFAiK you wont get anywhere on 70k TYPs but those more familiar can chime in.

yes 300k AA miles will be much more helpful to get you to Thailand esp if you're traveling with your SO. so from NYC you can use that CX routing above to get to BKK for 67.5k AA miles one-way in F. thats 135k for a RT and 270k for both you and your SO in F on a world-class, superior CX product thats well worth it.

I believe Y is 35k one-way and IMHO less than dbl that is def worth CX F but to each his own.

you can also try multiple products if you really wanna get creative esp when it comes to other awesome F offerings you can book with AA.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:02 am
mia

Originally Posted by JBG89
... points transfer ratios and awards charts
The transfer ratio from ThankYou Rewards to any of their partner airlines is 1000:1000. You cannot transfer miles from one airline to another, but you can redeem for a partner award flight.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
I have a Citi Forward card since my first year in college, and even though Citibank never lifted my credit limit (1000USD), I have managed to amass 80k worth of points. I know I cannot transfer my points directly to Asia Miles because I do not hold any of their eligible cards, but I still want to find out if I could release those points, if ever.

I am thinking of making my fiance to apply for a Citi Thank You Premier card, and just transfer my points to him. Would that work?

Thanks for all your help!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by nsolitude
I have managed to amass 80k worth of points. I know I cannot transfer my points directly to Asia Miles because I do not hold any of their eligible cards, but I still want to find out if I could release those points, if ever.

I am thinking of making my fiance to apply for a Citi Thank You Premier card, and just transfer my points to him. Would that work?
As noted in the wiki at the top of the page,
Keep in mind that TYP may be freely transfered to another person's TYP member account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Originally Posted by beltway
As noted in the wiki at the top of the page,
Thanks for the pointer! I cannot believe I missed that!

Last edited by nsolitude; Aug 6, 2014 at 6:14 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by mia
  • Many Americans do travel to Asia and the Middle East.
  • The large US and European airlines already have established credit card partnerships in the USA. Rather than a "me too" program with many of the same partners Citi has tried to do something distinctive ^. Most of the programs are sufficiently popular to have their own forums on FlyerTalk.
  • The airline alliance system means that you can redeem through any OneWorld, SkyTeam or Star Alliance member for flights operated by every airline in the same alliance. Citi has all three covered.

No particular disagreement with this analysis but I'll add that the Citi Prestige card is Citi's first attempt at a global card; that is a card product used in multiple markets around the world.

If you look at the benefits on the Citi Prestige card issued in Singapore you'll notice that the programs's Citi Dollars have always been transferrable to other airlines. If you look at the list of those airlines you'll see they mirror most of the new ThankYou options.

https://www.citibank.com.sg/prestige...ogged_off.html

https://www.citibank.com.sg/SGGCB/ICARD/rewhom/entry.do

If one were not very generous you might conclude the the North American ThankYou folks were lazy and just copied the existing process from their sister portfolio in Singapore. Unfortunately that collection of transfer partners is geared to the Singapore based flyer.

Who knows? If they're lazy enough perhaps they'll next give us the 25% off C/F flights and free limousine transfers that Singapore Prestige clients get.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:03 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
No particular disagreement with this analysis but I'll add that the Citi Prestige card is Citi's first attempt at a global card; that is a card product used in multiple markets around the world.
That's true, but I believe outside of the US, the other markets have all been in Asia? (I know of Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia, there may be more?) The current list of transfer partners may merely be a product of airlines Citi has already negotiated contracts with, as a result of the existing card products in those Asian countries.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid

If you look at the benefits on the Citi Prestige card issued in Singapore you'll notice that the programs's Citi Dollars have always been transferrable to other airlines. If you look at the list of those airlines you'll see they mirror most of the new ThankYou options.

https://www.citibank.com.sg/prestige...ogged_off.html

https://www.citibank.com.sg/SGGCB/ICARD/rewhom/entry.do

If one were not very generous you might conclude the the North American ThankYou folks were lazy and just copied the existing process from their sister portfolio in Singapore. Unfortunately that collection of transfer partners is geared to the Singapore based flyer.

Who knows? If they're lazy enough perhaps they'll next give us the 25% off C/F flights and free limousine transfers that Singapore Prestige clients get.
This is interesting, although Singapore card holders also get access to IHG, Delta, and British Airways.

The lack of IHG and Delta don't surprise me, but, honestly, I'm surprised BA isn't a TYP partner. They seem willing to partner with pretty much anyone.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:32 pm

Yet again, does Malaysia Airlines Enrich show up as a transfer partner in anybody's account? It does not show up in my account.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:25 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Yet again, does Malaysia Airlines Enrich show up as a transfer partner...
No, nor are they listed in communication that I have seen from Citi. I speculate that Citi intended to include Malaysian, but put that on hold due to the lost aircraft.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:14 pm

my understanding is i can transfer my TY points to singapore airline and then book US domestic to domestic flights?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Yet again, does Malaysia Airlines Enrich show up as a transfer partner in anybody's account? It does not show up in my account.
Originally Posted by mia
No, nor are they listed in communication that I have seen from Citi. I speculate that Citi intended to include Malaysian, but put that on hold due to the lost aircraft.
They are listed in the TYP transfer FAQ -- which, as you suggest, is likely an artifact of earlier plans -- but there's no corresponding option to perform a transfer to them.

Originally Posted by LBJFlight23
my understanding is i can transfer my TY points to singapore airline and then book US domestic to domestic flights?
Yes, you could book a North America-North America award on a Singapore partner (such as UA or AC). See their current award chart. According to Gary Leff, you can book domestic first-class awards on UA for 40K "because United books their domestic first class into 'I' which is Star Alliance business."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.