Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards that work at ATMs in high risk countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Can someone help me?

I need to find a bank that will allow me to easily withdraw funds using a debit card while traveling abroad. I have had Chase and Ally. Both banks have ignored my travel notifications and canceled cards on me due to suspicious activity simply because I traveled to a country where I added a travel notification and try to like - use a debit card to withdraw funds. I am so frustrated I want to pull my hair out. Chase is now refusing to add a travel notification to my account for any country which it considers high risk (which seems to be every country not found in North America and Europe). To date and many years of travel I have had zero incidents of actual fraud but I have had many painful phone calls, pleas, frozen accounts, and canceled debit cards.

Please, please, please tell me how to end this madness.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:43 pm

Bring cash? I now just plan for the ATM not working.

Seriously, the aggravation is just not worth it.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:47 pm

Schwab is the answer to your problems. No foreign transaction fees on ATMs abroad and all ATM fees (domestic and abroad) are reimbursed. I used my Schwab debit card on ATMs in Turkey and Georgia (the country) last summer without any hassles.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:48 pm

Schwab is your answer.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Banks Hate Me

or USAA if you are eligible to join
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've used Paypal for the last decade or so. I used to have similar problems, but after I notified them that I was ALWAYS traveling, no more problems.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:48 am

According to Chase the World Cup was hosted in a high-risk country. Imagine the nightmare for their customers.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:50 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
why not just get a CC with no FTF?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:08 am

This is one more reason EMV debit needs to happen soon. An EMV transaction is much lower risk.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
or USAA if you are eligible to join
I've had good luck with other credit unions, too, so you might try them if you're not.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:41 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

You can usually get a cash advance through a bank twller off your debit card without any fees.

I was in a chase branch and called Schwab needing to make a big ATM withdrawal to fund n account and get a counter check to pay for something else. They actually recommended getting cash over the counter withy my card as opposed to standing outside in front of a ATM and grabbing a large amount of cash for security reasons.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:18 am

Can you be specific as to which high risk country?

There are some which won't work at all ( Iran ) and believe it or not japan ( mainly due to technical reasons )
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I find a good method is to buy currency from my bank before I leave. Specifically, I have an account at Bank of America, and for a $7.50 fee they will convert currency before I leave. I believe they waive that fee if you convert more than $1000 USD.

I also bring some US$ along with me in cases of emergency. I don't want to bring my own ATM card with me on business trips to high risk countries because I don't like bearing that risk myself.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I love the Schwab ATM card. The only hassle I've ever had was in Guatemala when visa cut me off. I called Schwab and the agent worked with visa to let me get the $2500. I needed and then set my daily limit at $100. Since I could check the balance every day that wasn't too much of a risk for me
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by meFIRST
Can you be specific as to which high risk country?

There are some which won't work at all ( Iran ) and believe it or not japan ( mainly due to technical reasons )
In Japan I've found Chase Bank locations work for US cards. Unfortunately there are very few, but there is one in Tokyo and it saved me years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.