Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
This thread is a continuation of the discussion posted here from 12.08.2012 - 5.13.2014: Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.05%/2.1% travel credits)

Current offer for Arrival Plus is 70K pts w/$5K spend & AF waived 1st year.

Barclays says that you earn “miles” but you’re actually earning cash back with the card since you can’t transfer your Barclays miles to airlines. But you can redeem them for statement credits at 0.5 cents per mile (poor value) or 1.05 cent per mile if you redeem for travel.

You get 5% of your miles back if you redeem for travel, so 40,000 miles gets you $400 towards travel and 2,000 miles back (5% of your miles back). You must have at least 10K 'miles' in your acct if you wish to redeem as a travel credit. 2500 'miles' can be redeemed for a stmt credit though.

If you want, you can redeem miles to cover a portion of a travel charge instead of the full amount. For example, if you have 80k miles and a $740 airline charge, you can choose to redeem just 70k to cover $700 of the charge.

You earn 2X miles on all purchases, so you’re effectively getting 2% cash back for each purchase. But since you get 5% of your miles back when you redeem for travel, this is effectively a 2.1% cash back card when miles are redeemed for travel.

This makes the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard® (with 2.1% cash back for travel) better than the Capital One Venture card which offers only 2 miles per $1 or 2% cash back, only if you spend $30k+ per year after first year, because Arrival Plus AF is $30 more than Venture.

If you receive a call from 302-255-8000 after applying for this or any other Barclay's card, it is a legit number! You can also call them back directly at 866-951-1437.

Very Old Wiki Info ---
Regarding official company representatives
Note that there is an official procedure for company representatives to register themselves with the FlyerTalk Community Director and verify their credentials. When that process is completed, the username will turn green in posts, rather than the standard blue.

Anyone who does not appear in green has not followed this procedure. Those posts should be considered the same as any other user's posts. It is important to remember that the moderation team does not generally monitor the veracity of any posts; it is up to you to judge a poster's content and history yourself.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

="3"%Successful
Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $100 charge for 10K mile redemption
  • 9/11 Museum and Memorial - NYC
  • Accuracy Limo (via Square, Salt Lake City, UT limo service)
  • ACE Adventures (West Virginia White Water Rafting), had to call in to get it processed manually
  • agoda.com
  • AirAsia Flights (airasia.com)
  • airbnb bookings
  • airbnb GC purchased on United MPX site
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Amazing Bike Tours Thailand
  • AA Gift Card
  • American Airlines telephone booking (including booking fee)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Arrival+ Annual Fee
  • Argosy Cruises (SEA, classified as RECREATION)
  • Autoeurope.com
  • BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) San Francisco
  • Balloons over Bagan
  • Bieber bus tickets
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • Burj Khalifa observation decks
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Carmel Limo (NYC car service)
  • carrentals.com
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Chinese Visa Application Fees (had to call in. Credit showed up in account in 2 business days. See Post 912 and 921 for details)
  • City Taxi (Tampa)
  • CostcoTravel
  • Cotai Waterjet (Hong Kong)
  • CT Limo
  • Daily Getaways purchase of HHonors points
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Disneyland Hong Kong (Manual redemption required)
  • DriveNow - all locations in EU/US
  • Dublin Bus Tours Hop on, Hop off (Green)
  • Eiffel Tower (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • Enterprise rent-a-car, paid at the counter when returning the car (used Chase United Visa initially for primary coverage, but asked to pay with a different card when returning the car)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • Europcar.com
  • Expedia.com
  • Hertz Rent-a-Car (booked on hertz.com)
  • Hong Kong Airport Express Pass
  • Hotel bookings through Rocketmiles (even refundable bookings or those tied to other promotions)
  • Hotels.com
  • Hotwire
  • ItaliaRail (online booking agency for TrenItalia)
  • LA Swamp Tours, Steamboat cruise, Haunted History Tours (New Orleans)
  • Lahaina-Maui Ferry Tickets - booked online at www.go-lanai.com
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
    Las Vegas show tickets booked online (Mandalay Bay Box office)
  • Limo Charges - Two limo charges that I made in March PRIOR the the recent changes to what qualifies as "Travel" showed up as eligible travel charges. I guess with the changes to what's covered, and for how long, these got pulled back in.
  • Lyft
  • M-Life advance reservation deposit
  • Montway Auto Transport (deposit)
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • New York Waterways Ferry (between NJ and NYC)
  • Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • Norwegian Cruise Line (deposits and payments)
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • NYC Taxi
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • ORCA card for Seattle area tolls (considered the very typical GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Paris RATP Metro/VATP (buy 10-ticket pack for >$25 and save cost)
  • PeruRail (Machu Picchu train)
  • PMRF Beach Cottages (Kauai)
  • Priceline
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • rail europe on Travelocity
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Safari Helicopter Tour (Kauai)
  • Sandals.com resort booking (unique vacations) was not redeemable last year. Is redeemable online now
  • SEASTREAK LLC - NYC (Commuter Ferri)
  • Singapore Cable Car
  • Southwest $100 gift card
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • Spirit of NY Dinner Cruises - www.spiritcruises.com, which have cruises in several other cities as well.
  • Starwood Vacation Ownership (SPG Timeshare) Westin Princeville Kauai (coded as Timeshare).
  • St Pauls Cathedral (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE), Worked in Cancun.
  • Taxi in Zürich
  • Top of the Rock tickets - NYC
  • Trenitalia Online
  • Trimet (Portland OR public transportation)
  • Trip Advisor Rental
  • TurboJET (Hong Kong)
  • Uber
  • Uber GC through MPX $100 (re-confirmed 11/1/2018, using Arrival Premier)
  • United Baggage Fee
  • Universal Studio Orlando tickets (had to call in)
  • Viator (sightseeing/tours)
  • Victoria Clipper (passenger ferry)
  • Wedding at the Stratosphere's Chapel in the Clouds (billed as stratosphere)
  • Windsor Castle (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Wine purchases from different wine tasting rooms
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) - [[COLOR="Red"]reconfirmed 10/5/15]
  • Zipcar

="3"%Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 $100 cannot be reimbursed)
    Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Broadmoor Hotel Food and Beverage (Colorado Spring, CO)
  • budgetair.co.uk (charged >$200)
  • Car2go
  • De Palm Tours, Aruba (classified as Recreation. Called Barclay twice.)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Evan Evans Sightseeing tours (UK based)- http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk
  • Fastrak tag autoload for San Francisco bridge tolls ($25)
  • Global Entry
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Homeaway.com, posts as real estate. Barclays said they'd make a one-time exception but future purchases won't count as travel.
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Hotels.com Gift Card
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • Malaysian Overnight Train KUL-SIN (ktmb.com.my)
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Parking at DCA - $136 (7/9/19)
  • Parking at HSV ($96 in parking at Huntsville International Airport)
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at LAS
  • Parking at LGA $204
  • Parking at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Space Needle and Chihuly Garden Tickets
  • Starwood points purchase (BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Taxi Magic /Curb- Taxi service
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • UBER eGift Card (bought through the UBER app) for $100 - Not coded as "travel," so couldn't redeem online and they wouldn't do it over the phone, either.

Airlines that post purchases of multiple tickets as one amount or split them:

One Amount
BA (USD based award ticket)

Multiple Transactions
UA (award)
DL (award)

Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:54 pm

Barclays Arrival/Arrival+ Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

any idea if Barclaycard gives limit increases with soft pulls on their own? or do I have request one. been a card member for 9 months
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
any idea if Barclaycard gives limit increases with soft pulls on their own? or do I have request one. been a card member for 9 months
If you request one they'll do a hard pull. But if you have other cards you can reallocate credit, just give them a call.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
If you request one they'll do a hard pull. But if you have other cards you can reallocate credit, just give them a call.
I was hoping they give me a limit increase on their own. I don't want a HP. I use it heavily and pay everything in full
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:50 pm

Thanks. I would have search for it. But forgot the key word "retention"
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by Brugge
So then this is something that any of us that have traveled around the world in a band for 8 years can do? Or does it matter what instrument we played?
Haha! Anyone who's traveled a lot, could easily earn a couple hundred bucks minimum. Then if you can get family members to create accounts, open all your stories and hit "kudos"....

Originally Posted by Brugge
I'm pretty sure x712xdamx isn't doing this for "fun". I seem to remember something about "$1,150+ in free travel !".
The travel is fun, the card site stories is SOMETIMES fun, but it's for the $$ obviously - to travel more! haha

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Pretty impressive! Maybe I need to get into this. I have traveled quite a bit (not necessarily half as much as you though) but I'm sure I could crack out lots of stories. Plus I have tons and tons of pictures. It's just I hate to write LOL. I hated it in school. I hate it at work. So not in a hurry to do it for "fun".
It's not as bad as you might think... Plus it gives you a well organized, nicely formatted travel site to send your friends to, and if you're lucky, they'll kudos your stories too!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My Sallie Mae MasterCard got 2 limit increases on its own with a year and a half. Both $500 I believe. However, I was not doing much spend on this card. Like $750 or less and it only had a CL of less than $5k at first. Nothing though on my Arrival in the last year. But I always asked for a CL increase on that on day 1.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL, AA
They doubled my CL (4k to 8k) after 6 months on their own with a soft pull.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
We'll see what happens but is there anybody here who has the Arrival World Mastercard, not the elite mastercard, with a chip?
I do - I got a non-EMV World Mastercard in February, and just called in a few weeks ago for an EMV card. It's an EMV card, but no silver logo on the bottom right. I only just realized there's a difference between the two statuses.

Here's a link to to the terms and conditions of the benefits of the World Mastercard; does anyone mind posting a link to the World Elite Mastercard benefits terms and conditions? Thanks.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/servic...-4661-9_MW.pdf
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:46 pm

Barclays Arrival/Arrival+ Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

I don't see it mentioned much in this thread, but thought it was worth noting that I just successfully churned this card. Got my last one 10mo ago, cancelled on a Sunday, applied for a new one on a Monday, instant approval, hit the spend, 40K bonus posted.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; IHG Platinum; Emerald Exec Elite
Incorrect Merchant Code - Barclay's Arrival Plus

Has anyone had success (or failure) with getting Barclay's to post something as being eligible for travel redemption when the merchant codes it incorrectly? I realize that Barclay's T&Cs say they are not responsible when a merchant codes something incorrectly. However, I previously had success with this, although now that I am trying again I am having no luck. Below are my two situations (my success and the one I am currently dealing with). It got me curious as to others' success or failures with similar issues.

#1 SITUATION 1: (below is my email to Barclays and their response - shortly thereafter, they simply applied the points to my account as a travel redemption).

My email: On 6/8/14, I charged $85 at Charleston Outdoor Adventures (COA). This was for the dolphin/sunset tour while we were on vacation in Charleston, South Carolina. Since it was a tour, it falls into the travel category for redemption purposes; however, it was incorrectly coded as "MISCELLANEOUS AND SPECIALTY RETAIL STORES." Here is the link to COA and specifically to the tour we took - you can see that it is a tour company!! Please re-categorizie it correctly so I can redeem my points for it. Thanks very much!

http://www.charlestonoutdooradventur...dolphin-tours/

This is how it appears on my statement:
Purchased by: ME
Account Ending In: XXXX
Transaction Date: 06/08/14
Post Date: 06/09/14
Amount: 85.00
Description: COA
Merchant Location:* CHARLESTON SC
Merchant Category: MISCELLANEOUS AND SPECIALTY RETAIL STORES

BARCLAY'S RESPONSE: Our records indicate that there is a transaction on June 09, 2014 for COA which was classified as 'MISCELLANEOUS AND SPECIALTY RETAIL STORES'. In order to know if these transactions qualify for redemptions, we will create a case under ID 2383430 and have it investigated. Please allow 7 to 10 business days maximum of 30 days for this to be completed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please be advised that merchants choose their merchant category code, Barclays does not control the category that classifies a merchant; thus, the entire purchase is classified according to the merchant category. When making a purchase, you may ask the merchant which category code do they fall. You may also view additional information regarding your purchase by clicking on the purchase details page of the website and highlight the purchase, additional detail about the merchant will be provided.

(As I mentioned, I was successful in getting them to make it a travel redemption).
__________________________________________________ ____

#2 CURRENT SITUATION :

My email: On 9/7/14, I charged $225 at Scoot City Tours. This was for the Red Rock Canyon tour. Since it is a tour, it falls into the travel category for redemption purposes; however, it was coded as “THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES". Below is the link to Scoot City Courts - you can see that it is a tour company!! Please recategorizie it correctly so I can redeem my points for it. Thanks very much! http://www.scootcitytours.com/

Purchased by: ME
Account Ending In: XXXX
Transaction Date: 09/07/14
Post Date: 09/08/14
Amount: 225.00
Description: SCOOT CITY TOURS
Merchant Location:* 7026995700 NV
Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES

BARCLAY'S RESPONSE: The merchants choose their merchant category code, Barclays does not control the category that classifies a merchant; thus, the entire purchase is classified according to the merchant category.

When making a purchase, you may ask the merchant which category code do they fall. You may also view additional information regarding your purchase by clicking on the purchase details page of the website and highlight the purchase, additional detail about the merchant will be provided.

MY RESPONSE: Regarding this transaction, can you please open a case and have it investigated to determine whether it qualifies as a travel redemption (which it does). When I contacted you this past June regarding a similar issue where a different tour I charged was also not charged as a travel expense, you opened a case, investigated it, and then allowed it as a travel expense. I would appreciate you doing the same thing here. Thanks.

BARCLAY'S RESPONSE: In order to provide you with the most individualized service possible, we ask that these requests be made through our Customer Care Department. Please contact us at 1-866-558-1107 anytime, so that we may discuss what options are available on your account. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

__________________________________________________ ______

I'm not sure what "options" would be available but whatever. I may just drop the issue due to the annoyance factor. Anyone experience similar issues with Barclay's Arrival (good or bad)?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AtlantaAngel
...when the merchant codes it incorrectly?
Welcome to Flyertalk. To be sure there is no misunderstanding, merchants do not code individual transactions, and small merchants do not choose their merchant classification code. The code is selected by the merchant's acquirer, the company which processes their credit card transactions. The merchant code is not "wrong", it is simply not one that Barclays recognizes as travel. As you have already seen, Barclays can elect to credit bonus points on an exception basis, but they are not obliged to do so.

You may find this MCC lokup tool helpful when planning future purchases:

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/index.jsp
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:34 am

We should all ask them on Facebook, Twitter, and their forums for contactless. I bet if everyone asked, they'd at least consider contactless - and contactless would solve a LOT of the issues caused by lack of chip and PIN at merchants, since most transactions in Europe would be able to be conducted by contactless.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Has anyone had success (or failure) with getting Barclay's to post something as being eligible for travel redemption when the merchant codes it incorrectly? I realize that Barclay's T&Cs say they are not responsible when a merchant codes something incorrectly. However, I previously had success with this, although now that I am trying again I am having no luck. Below are my two situations (my success and the one I am currently dealing with). It got me curious as to others' success or failures with similar issues.
Yes. I have had success with them reimbursing me for travel that coded differently. Wait for the case to finish before you worry. Also, I called in. Not sure if that changes things b/c they still opened a case but it's sometimes easier to talk to the person vs an email.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:48 am

Data point: I have two US air cards, one opened 1/2012 with ~$50/month since then, one opened 3/2013 with no real spend since. Second card downgraded (to no annual fee card) in May. Credit score just under 800. Applied for Arrival+ on a Wednesday, got notice that they would have to review. Email received following Tuesday that I was approved for a new credit line, no change to existing cards. I haven't applied for any other new cards in over a year, so no recent pulls on my report.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:39 am

Has anyone had success (or failure) with getting Barclay's to post something as being eligible for travel redemption when the merchant codes it incorrectly?
I'm not sure what "options" would be available but whatever. I may just drop the issue due to the annoyance factor. Anyone experience similar issues with Barclay's Arrival (good or bad)?
I had the same issue in Hawaii. My 5yo did the submarine tour, Atlantis Submarines, a tour operator, but it was reported as "RECREATION SERVICES". Booking a Trilogy boat trip through Pleasant Holidays, a travel agency, was also coded as "RECREATION SERVICES". I had the same path as you. SM said to call, and after a few calls questioning their policies, I finally got them to manually process one charge (I didn't need both). CapitalOne is the total opposite IME and from what I read, if it's not automatically eligible, say it's travel related and they'll process it. I've heard about bikes and iPads processed successfully, and has an Android tablet approved myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.