Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Superorb
These are Amex-network cards, issued and administered by Wells Fargo. American Express acts as the transaction processing network, in the same way that VISA process transactions for other Wells Fargo cards. Amex-network cards do not count against your four credit card limit with American Express, nor will you deal with American Express customer service.

There have been several data points that people on work visas don't qualify, only US citizens and permanent residents do. However some people with visas have also received this card.

If you have some relationship with wells fargo, less verification info is asked so keeping a checking with WF can be a good way to improve your chances.

Wells fargo also restricts CC signup bonuses to 1 per person lifetime. Some people have also reported one per address so YMMV.

You can have both types of Propel cards open simultaneously.

It easily takes 90-120 days after meeting the spend for the bonus to post.

Airline Fee Credit

Once per anniversary year.

It appears that one can wait until after the annual fee is charged, the get a second reimbursement of an airline expenditure, and then cancel to get the annual fee refunded.

Examples of airline related charges that have been reimbursed:

1. Gift cards of most airlines
2. BA award ticket taxes
3. AA award ticket taxes (booked via phone)
4. LH award redeposit fee (charged via phone)
5. Amazon GC through UA shopping app.

Examples of airline related charges that have NOT been reimbursed:

1. AS award date change fee ($125, charged online)
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
I'm in the same situation. The only difference is the Propel and Visa plat are in one account and the Visa Sig is in another account. I was thinking of moving the points from the Propel account to the Visa Sig account - but I'm not sure if that would save those points when I close the Propel.

Here's what I found per the T&C's (bolding and underline mine):

"If any Earning Mechanism is closed for any reason, depending on the type of Earning Mechanism that closes, the related Rewards may be forfeited on the date of closure. If the Earning Mechanism that is closed is the last Earning Mechanism in a Rewards Account, then depending on the type of Earning Mechanism, the Rewards Account may also be closed and any Rewards in the Rewards Account will be forfeited on the date of closure. Any Pending Rewards related to the closed Earning Mechanism or Rewards Account may also be forfeited. If You have a Rewards Account with multiple Earning Mechanisms that can be closed, only Rewards associated with the Earning Mechanism that is closed will be forfeited. No other Rewards will be impacted."
How do you do such a transfer?
Old May 18, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by UA Fan
How do you do such a transfer?
When you log into "Go Far Rewards", under "My Rewards", there is an option "transfer". When I select it, both accounts populate so I can transfer points from one account to the other. I don't plan on keeping the Propel so I was thinking of transferring the points to the Visa Signature to use for the $0.015 air redemption. It's just not clear to me if transferring the points from Propel to Visa Sig will end up being forfeited after closing Propel.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:07 pm

Regarding my Wells Fargo Propel World Amex minimum spend, I called to ask if there was a EZ way online to see progress. She said there's no reference to the MS progress for the bonus online or on the statements.

She added up my charges and said I had charged enough (which I knew since I added up my payments.)

I asked her how many months to get the bonus. She said that my next statement in early June will have enough to reach the MS. So I should see it in my July or August statement.

I'm not holding my breath but wanted to share.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
My mom closed her Amex and lost 46K points. Tried to reopen the Amex but could not.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:07 pm
formerly mattrendell27

Propel after 5% card?

Anyone know and/or have data points on whether you can get the 40k sign up bonus for the Propel if you previously received the 5% cash back on the WF Visa Signature Cash Back card?

my 6 months ended in March and I'd be thinking of applying for the Propel about 3 months after I closed the WF 5% card.

I know there have been some weird stories of people not being eligible for WF bonuses because of having any previous WF card so I'm curious.

Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
I know there have been some weird stories of people not being eligible for WF bonuses because of having any previous WF card so I'm curious.
If that's the case then I will avoid WF cards.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
Anyone know and/or have data points on whether you can get the 40k sign up bonus for the Propel if you previously received the 5% cash back on the WF Visa Signature Cash Back card?

my 6 months ended in March and I'd be thinking of applying for the Propel about 3 months after I closed the WF 5% card.

Thanks.
I got the 5% CB card in 11/2014 and beat the hell out of it for 6mo. Got the Propel world in 8/2015 and got the bonus. Got the Propel 365 in 12/2015 and did NOT get the bonus. Take from that what you will. YMMV. WF is the only bank that pulls Equifax for me so I went for it.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:11 am

Has anybody tried getting their second year $100 reimbursement recently?

I bought $100 worth of miles, just as I did for the first year, but the reimbursement hasn't kicked in. How long does it usually take? My annual fee had already been charged, and it's past the year according to my account profile.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Let's say WF has no branches in my state. Can I even apply? It says if you don't have a banking relationship, must apply in-branch
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Let's say WF has no branches in my state. Can I even apply? It says if you don't have a banking relationship, must apply in-branch
Some people have reported being able to get the card without any relationship, so you can try. If it's declined for lack of relationship, then you can easily open an account online. About one full business day after the online approval, call credit and ask to speak to an underwriter because you now have a banking relationship.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:53 pm

Points on Airline Benefit Purchases

I discovered that while you can get a second $100 airline credit after anniversary date, but this did not earn points.

Not a big issue, except had I had planned to cancel to avoid a $175 fee, which I viewed as high for a card that gave only a few rewards, and in my cae had only a $2500 limit.

I had planned to cancel the card in time to get the fee refunded (possible for, but after using the second airline benefit). Since there were stranded points, I had calculated how much spending was needed to qualify for a $25 reward, and prepaid a water bill. Hence this decision left me 99 points short.

Fortunately, after much work, it proved possible to convert this card to a regular Propel card which retain the points, and another $100 in spending will get me the $25.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:11 pm

Conversion to a Regular Propel Card

For those that find the $175 fee excessive, Wells Fargo does have a way to convert the card to a regular Propel.

Near the date of the fee, I had called and been told this was possible. I had some stranded points so I figured I would convert, and eventually spend enough to use them.

After the fee was charged I had called again, told it cold be done, but after a transfer they decided I was not eligible (computer decision, reason not given).

After doing what I thought was enough spending to use the stranded points, I called again to cancel, but did rember to ask about a Product Exchange, and got transferred.

They did warn it would take "only" half an hour. They had to get the data for a credit decision and then would decide. However, they could make a credit decision until a long comparison of the to old and new card had been read even though it was clear I had no interest in keeping the old $175 fee card. Both my time and the time of their employee was wasted in this.

This was followed by another procedure to close the old card with long disclosures, and at one point a recording.

They then moved to disclosing the terms on the new card I was applying for, which had previously been disclosed in a comparison The interest erms would depend on the credit decision, so they were not really disclosed, since there was a wide range. .

Then all the data for a new applications was taken down, with there being no way to use address etc. from the card I had. I was assured a new credit report would not be pulled.

The final outcome was that this time they approved me for a regular Propel, which will have a new number. They had already canceled the existing Propel (so they lose any spending you might have done).

I am puzzled why it was approved this time, but possibly having a balance on it(effort to spend enough to get the stranded points) may have made them system believe a new card would get much use.

This procedure is so time consuming, some may wish to not bother (possibly after having done enough spending not to leave meany stranded points).

The new credit limit is apparently the old limit minus the balance, so the low $2500 limit will be further reduced. If after 45 days you pay the old balance, apparently the limit is increased to the old limit. It doe appear that if you are one of the cusotmers who carries a blance (which many companies find profitable), you will end up with a card with an even lower balance.

It does look like the new card with no fee will have the cell phone insurance feature (which may be a good reason for some to keep this card as a no fee card), I will have another AMEX card for any offers AMEX makes, and I can get about 25% back on my next $100 in spending.

Last edited by ed765; Jun 9, 2016 at 5:20 pm
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:27 am

ed765, have you confirmed in your credit report if it in fact was not a hard pull?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:14 am

Do either of these cards count towards the number of credit cards Amex will allow you to have open at one time?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by viag8
ed765, have you confirmed in your credit report if it in fact was not a hard pull?
I have not so confirmed.

I received today a letter stating my credit score from Experianc, so it may have been.

However, the date for the score was May 28, suggesting it was not a hard pull, but something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.