Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Superorb
These are Amex-network cards, issued and administered by Wells Fargo. American Express acts as the transaction processing network, in the same way that VISA process transactions for other Wells Fargo cards. Amex-network cards do not count against your four credit card limit with American Express, nor will you deal with American Express customer service.

There have been several data points that people on work visas don't qualify, only US citizens and permanent residents do. However some people with visas have also received this card.

If you have some relationship with wells fargo, less verification info is asked so keeping a checking with WF can be a good way to improve your chances.

Wells fargo also restricts CC signup bonuses to 1 per person lifetime. Some people have also reported one per address so YMMV.

You can have both types of Propel cards open simultaneously.

It easily takes 90-120 days after meeting the spend for the bonus to post.

Airline Fee Credit

Once per anniversary year.

It appears that one can wait until after the annual fee is charged, the get a second reimbursement of an airline expenditure, and then cancel to get the annual fee refunded.

Examples of airline related charges that have been reimbursed:

1. Gift cards of most airlines
2. BA award ticket taxes
3. AA award ticket taxes (booked via phone)
4. LH award redeposit fee (charged via phone)
5. Amazon GC through UA shopping app.

Examples of airline related charges that have NOT been reimbursed:

1. AS award date change fee ($125, charged online)
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:46 pm

I think the card would look much nicer with the new foil stamped American Express logo on the front. Does anyone know what the silver logo means? Does it signify a more premium card?

EDIT: has the design changed?

Last edited by Nick92; Sep 4, 2016 at 3:01 am
Old May 2, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Originally Posted by viag8
I wanted to share my experience with Wells Fargo cellular telephone protection benefit.

I've filed 2 claims with them, one back in August and one this month, for two separate incidents.

In August, I was denied because you do not only have to pay your monthly bill with the WF card, you have to make one payment every calendar month to be covered the next calendar month. For example, if you pay your bill on the 1st, then on the 30th of April, and then on the 1st of June, you will be covered for incidents happening in May but not in June.

This month I made another claim. This time, I knew about the calendar month payment rule so I was covered. They are secondary insurance so they require proof that you claimed with any applicable primary insurance to process the claim. My claim took 3 weeks between my first call and when I received their check.
Hi Viag8 - thanks for sharing your experience. Would you mind also sharing what proof you sent in regarding any primary insurance claim? If you don't opt to pay for carrier insurance, what other primary insurance is there for a cell phone?
Old May 3, 2016, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by robbierob03
Hi Viag8 - thanks for sharing your experience. Would you mind also sharing what proof you sent in regarding any primary insurance claim? If you don't opt to pay for carrier insurance, what other primary insurance is there for a cell phone?
I did have carrier insurance at the time, so I just showed the claim response from my carrier. They ask to see the cell phone monthly bill, so in my case, it shows that I pay insurance. Maybe that could be your proof that you do not have any primary insurance. You might also want to check if your homeowner's insurance has any coverage, they might ask for that.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Originally Posted by viag8
I did have carrier insurance at the time, so I just showed the claim response from my carrier. They ask to see the cell phone monthly bill, so in my case, it shows that I pay insurance. Maybe that could be your proof that you do not have any primary insurance. You might also want to check if your homeowner's insurance has any coverage, they might ask for that.
Appreciate the response! I figured carrier insurance would be (one of) the only forms of primary insurance. And a replacement cell phone would be less than my deductible so that wouldn't be an out for them either ^
Old May 3, 2016, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by robbierob03
Appreciate the response! I figured carrier insurance would be (one of) the only forms of primary insurance. And a replacement cell phone would be less than my deductible so that wouldn't be an out for them either ^
The homeowners deductible may not matter. We have a $1k deductible on our homeowners, but we were able to add $700 in cell phone insurance, with a $0 deductible, for under $30/yr per phone.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:05 am

Just for an umteenth data point. I got the Wells Fargo Propel world and ordered a $100 e-gift card from southwest airlines web site. The day the "SW AIR DALLAS TX" charge posted, also posted was the $100 "AIRLINE BENEFIT CREDIT"

I also received an email

We've applied an airline reimbursement for you

As a benefit of your American Express Propel WorldSM Credit Card, you receive up to $100 in reimbursements for qualifying incidental airline charges per year.
You've earned an airline reimbursement based on your recent airline transaction(s):

Credit Card ending XXXX-XXXXXX-Xxxxx
Credit Amount $100.00
Old May 5, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
when you applied for the wells propel world did they ask for w2 income stub?
Old May 6, 2016, 10:07 am

What is the general viewpoint on what to do with a Propel if you do not wish to pay the fee?

From a phone call it appears that can convert it to a no fee Propel which would preserve the small credit line, and probably the few points (too few for a statement credit, but perhaps enough for a digits book or download).

However, having this might make it hard to get another card someday such as another Propel World Card or their 5% for six months Visa. ((However, having the card would be a relationship, and that might reduce the identification issues if you later wanted another card).
Old May 6, 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid
when you applied for the wells propel world did they ask for w2 income stub?
No.

I've had a checking account for a few months, and DD 1/2 my paycheck.

I have 760 FICO. 0 Debt anywhere. 6 figure salary, lots of CC accounts the past year.

I think it took a couple of days for them to approve it.

I only got a $5K limit, but that will suit my purposes.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by ed765
What is the general viewpoint on what to do with a Propel if you do not wish to pay the fee?...
Since I only care about the Minimum Spend Bonus, I will kick them to the curb some months after I get my bonus, unless I see a better idea here.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by ed765
However, having this might make it hard to get another card someday such as another Propel World Card or their 5% for six months Visa. .
Doesnt appear to be so. I was approved for a propel card recently , despite having another credit card with them.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by hdatontodo
No.

I've had a checking account for a few months, and DD 1/2 my paycheck.

I have 760 FICO. 0 Debt anywhere. 6 figure salary, lots of CC accounts the past year.

I think it took a couple of days for them to approve it.

I only got a $5K limit, but that will suit my purposes.
They seem to sometimes give low limits (I got only $2500).

This is bad business. It is hard to see their target customers (frequent travelers) paying a high fee, $175, for a card with a limit that will not cover plane tickets, hotels, etc. for a family going to Europe.

Such customers may use the card enough to get the promised bonus, but not afterwards, and will drop it before the fee is permanently paid (they may even keep it long enough for a second airline expenditure credit). Thus, they will have spent a lot to acquire a customer they will not keep.

Last edited by ed765; May 9, 2016 at 11:25 am
Old May 9, 2016, 12:41 pm

Product Exchanges

Originally Posted by hdatontodo
Since I only care about the Minimum Spend Bonus, I will kick them to the curb some months after I get my bonus, unless I see a better idea here.
I had earlier been told I could exchange my Propel with the annual fee for one a different product with no fee.

However, when I called to do that, I was transferred to another who then checked the computer and reported it could not be done for me, and claimed the computer provided no reason.

It may be some sort of individual decision (I was told it might be possible later if I called back), but I have no way determining what the problem was. Possibly some sort of soft pull that claimed I was a poor credit, or that since little use had been made of the card recently (other than an airline expenditure that produced a $100 credit). I would be unlikely to make much use of the no fee version.

Since I have some rewards and found nothing I wanted to buy, I decided to keep the card for a short period and to spend enough to get the next $25 credit. I calculated that the required spending made this a 4% card for the next $60.

The alternative was a digital download, but pricing the more recent books, they appear more expensive than Amazon. There are many older classics at good prices, but these may be free elsewhere.

I was told the $175 fee can be refunded within 90 days of being charged. This way I will need to pay the fee, and then wait for the points on my $60 of spending to be credited, and then get the resulting credit balance refunded.

If I had realized the product exchange would not be possible, I would have done enough spending to get the next credit (calculating the amount needed, and then prepaying some bill), and then the trouble of getting a credit balance refunded would be avoided.

It appears the best strategy is to wait until the fee is charged, then make an airline expenditure (say a SW gift card), then do enough spending to get the next $25 reward (if there are enough points to make it worthwhile), and then cancel, avoiding ending up with a credit balance.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
My mom has the Propel and the Visa Signature. Points from both cards are in one Rewards account. She called to close the Propel and was told the points would be lost? Any truth?
Old May 18, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by UA Fan
My mom has the Propel and the Visa Signature. Points from both cards are in one Rewards account. She called to close the Propel and was told the points would be lost? Any truth?
I'm in the same situation. The only difference is the Propel and Visa plat are in one account and the Visa Sig is in another account. I was thinking of moving the points from the Propel account to the Visa Sig account - but I'm not sure if that would save those points when I close the Propel.

Here's what I found per the T&C's (bolding and underline mine):

"If any Earning Mechanism is closed for any reason, depending on the type of Earning Mechanism that closes, the related Rewards may be forfeited on the date of closure. If the Earning Mechanism that is closed is the last Earning Mechanism in a Rewards Account, then depending on the type of Earning Mechanism, the Rewards Account may also be closed and any Rewards in the Rewards Account will be forfeited on the date of closure. Any Pending Rewards related to the closed Earning Mechanism or Rewards Account may also be forfeited. If You have a Rewards Account with multiple Earning Mechanisms that can be closed, only Rewards associated with the Earning Mechanism that is closed will be forfeited. No other Rewards will be impacted."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.