Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Card closed for new applicants. Information here: https://citi.com/citiprestige
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige discontinued (USA).

Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Citi Prestige discontinued (USA).

The card is gone from the Citi website, and people are reporting that customer service agents are saying it is discontinued. Interesting if true
Old Jul 2, 2021, 1:35 pm
Suspended

I got it when it 1st came out based on what my Citi Banker told me, when it turned out that he was wrong I simply CXed the card before it arrived. (Was told it had Primary CDW, turned out to be secondary)

That aside when it came out the benefits being offered was worth the AF, but as Citi destroyed the benefits over time I was amazed anyone still paid the AF for the card, and Im frankly amazed it lasted this long
Old Jul 2, 2021, 1:55 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Ive had this card since the time it was refreshed in 2013, and have been amazed at how frequently the benefits have changed. Back in the flight points days, this card was my primary, though back then 2-3x earnings was considered pretty good. (The only reason Ive had the card as long as I have, and will continue holding it, is because I have a waived AF because of my banking relationship.)
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm so glad I got this card before it's discontinued. I guess I shouldn't cancel the card now! Hopefully, Citi will continue to have an ultra-premium card in the future.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Interesting if true
Assume true. But I am not surprise if Citi revamps the card again.

But FWIW - Citi is a very cheap bank which only knows how to run away when the benefits are too good to be true.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung

But FWIW - Citi is a very cheap bank which only knows how to run away when the benefits are too good to be true.
Every bank is like that. It's a business and not a charity.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
Every bank is like that. It's a business and not a charity.
In this case, Citi is the worst.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by craz
That aside when it came out the benefits being offered was worth the AF, but as Citi destroyed the benefits over time I was amazed anyone still paid the AF for the card, and Im frankly amazed it lasted this long
With the recent reductions I agree far less of a great card than it used to be - but if you're Citigold it's a net $100 annual fee ($350 - $250 in airline credits), for unlimited Priority pass and a number of other extras. That still makes it worth it for me.
lsquare and spartacusmcfly like this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Hope they are seriously looking at improving the benefits, or permanently ditching it because they don't feel like it. This card was once great, and then lost significant value.

When I first got it many years ago I really valued:
- Generous 4th night free benefit that also allowed you to enjoy hotel elite benefits
- Admirals Club access
- Priority Pass
- Trip Insurance
- Annual fee discount for being Citigold (then later Citi Premier when they downgraded Citigold clients
- Redeeming points for airfare purchases @ $0.015(?)/point

When I canceled it last month the only value left was:
- 5x Restaurants (I stopped charging airfare to this card when the travel benefits went away and switched that to Amex Plat)

The other benefits got so watered down (4th night free), or eliminated (Admirals Club, Insurance, fee discounts), or duplicative (Priority Pass, 5x air) it was time to go.

It's a shell of it's former self and bettered by Amex, even with higher fees. Time to sunset it or improve it.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung

I was about to say, it's time for the Prestige's once every 24 month refresh.
gregorius likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
My AF is coming up (end of August). I was considering canceling already since the benefits are basically nonexistent now.

I already charge food on an Amex Gold (4x vs. 5x is about the same to me MR vs. TYP) and without travel, there's really no other benefits usable on this card.

I hope they announce whatever is they're doing in the next few weeks.
SNA_Flyer, LETTERBOY and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:33 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Need Help

I transferred 65 K thank you points to my TK account a week ago. I need to cancel this card I dont want to pay AF.
can I cancel the transfer and request cash back instead?
it turns out transfers are not going through or are delayed. If I cancel the card will the transfer happen anyways or will I lose the points?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frank_10b
I transferred 65 K thank you points to my TK account a week ago. I need to cancel this card I dont want to pay AF.
can I cancel the transfer and request cash back instead?
it turns out transfers are not going through or are delayed. If I cancel the card will the transfer happen anyways or will I lose the points?
Your points don't expire until 60 days after you close your card, but I have no idea what may have to transfers already in progress. You may have to ask Citi about that.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
What do people think about possible changes if they were to refresh?

I'd imagine they keep the Priority Pass and Travel Credit and existing earnings structure (5x Flights, 5x Dining)

At this point, 4NF total cost is more expensive than booking direct. I wonder if they'd consider bringing back 4NF via Citi Concierge? I got a lot of value out of the old 4NF system, though I definitely understand why this went away.

I get a lot of Citi Entertainment emails. I've never been to one of these events (has anyone else?) but I like this idea in principle. Maybe a Fandango or movie theatre credit and bring back the entertainment earnings (4xMuseums/Movie Tickets/etc.)

Hotel or even airline status would be kinda neat, though I'm guessing Amex -> Marriott/Hilton/Delta and Chase -> Marriott/Hyatt/IHG/United locks Citi out of any existing hotel partnerships.

Citi seems to be retreating from consumer/retail banking everywhere I can see (here in the US, abroad in Asia, etc.)

I've been somewhat annoyed at how basically all credit cards have the same set of basic benefits and coupon-book style credits, and it's devolved into "pick your transfer partners" ...
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Hope they are seriously looking at improving the benefits, or permanently ditching it because they don't feel like it. This card was once great, and then lost significant value.

When I first got it many years ago I really valued:
- Generous 4th night free benefit that also allowed you to enjoy hotel elite benefits
- Admirals Club access
- Priority Pass
- Trip Insurance
- Annual fee discount for being Citigold (then later Citi Premier when they downgraded Citigold clients
- Redeeming points for airfare purchases @ $0.015(?)/point

When I canceled it last month the only value left was:
- 5x Restaurants (I stopped charging airfare to this card when the travel benefits went away and switched that to Amex Plat)

The other benefits got so watered down (4th night free), or eliminated (Admirals Club, Insurance, fee discounts), or duplicative (Priority Pass, 5x air) it was time to go.

It's a shell of it's former self and bettered by Amex, even with higher fees. Time to sunset it or improve it.
Originally Posted by Polytonic
My AF is coming up (end of August). I was considering canceling already since the benefits are basically nonexistent now.

I already charge food on an Amex Gold (4x vs. 5x is about the same to me MR vs. TYP) and without travel, there's really no other benefits usable on this card.

I hope they announce whatever is they're doing in the next few weeks.
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I was about to say, it's time for the Prestige's once every 24 month refresh.
As I have stated in other Citi Prestige threads, I wished Citi never devalued the card in the first place. Just raise the AF. I still think the Prestige is a fantastic card for international travelers like me since MC have widespread acceptance. As much as I love AMEX, acceptance is a real issue once you get to Asia. Even Hong Kong, where credit cards are widely used, AMEX have a terrible acceptance rate. I'll be keeping my Prestige for a while since the Priority Pass have real value and the earn rates are excellent in airfare and dining.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.