Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Fifth Third 55k Real Life Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Fifth Third 55k Real Life Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by 318i
This bank is super aggravating. They really make you work for the $500 gift card!

Brief history of our interaction:

- 5/3 issues the offer to my wife.

- I tried to claim it (we both have 8xx credit scores). Rock.

- Successfully signed up under her name -- it takes about a month to get the card.

- We get the card and start spending.

- I try to sign up online to manage the CC spend -- it's damn near IMPOSSIBLE without a 5/3 checking account

- Agent agrees to waive the $15 pay-by-phone fee and advises that without a 5/3 checking account, I can always mail my payment in, or pay at the branch like it's 1994.

- We just exceeded the threshold, so now I get to wait until October or November for the "RealLifeRewards" points to post. Ugh.

It's a shame these guys are such a PITA to deal with, because the bonus payouts are relatively decent -- 2x at Target, restaurants, etc... but we'll likely be out after the $500 GC comes in.
Have you received your rewards? Were you able to redeem for full value?

My wife and I just got this offer in the mail yesterday. On paper it looks great. Your experience makes me wonder if it's worth it. I'll jump through a fair number of hoops for $500 x 2.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:28 am
Suspended

I tried calling on this today (didn't get the mailer) and they're absolutely not budging on this one. Guy even took my SSN to try to see if they system had any info on it. I said I got it and threw it out, but he wasn't having any of that. Ah well.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LWT3
Have you received your rewards? Were you able to redeem for full value?

My wife and I just got this offer in the mail yesterday. On paper it looks great. Your experience makes me wonder if it's worth it. I'll jump through a fair number of hoops for $500 x 2.
I had to secure message them for me and my wife's bonus, but that's it. Got $500 for each of us so I'd say it was well worth it. For her bonus the message said $100 statement credit so I was disappointed (maybe she was approved for a lesser card), but 50k points showed up in her account so it worked out somehow.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Well, I learned something today. I always thought their name was due to the Fifth Third headquarters being located on 5th St. (which it still is) in Cincinnati.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:47 pm

This bank is super aggravating. They really make you work for the $500 gift card!

Brief history of our interaction:

- 5/3 issues the offer to my wife.

- I tried to claim it (we both have 8xx credit scores). Rock.

- Successfully signed up under her name -- it takes about a month to get the card.

- We get the card and start spending.

- I try to sign up online to manage the CC spend -- it's damn near IMPOSSIBLE without a 5/3 checking account

- Agent agrees to waive the $15 pay-by-phone fee and advises that without a 5/3 checking account, I can always mail my payment in, or pay at the branch like it's 1994.

- We just exceeded the threshold, so now I get to wait until October or November for the "RealLifeRewards" points to post. Ugh.

It's a shame these guys are such a PITA to deal with, because the bonus payouts are relatively decent -- 2x at Target, restaurants, etc... but we'll likely be out after the $500 GC comes in.
I just want to echo 318i here. Fifth Third is super aggravating. You can't pay Fifth Third via Redbird. You can't do an electronic payment via Ally. Looks like I'll have to pay at a branch or wait for the paper bill to arrive, but I like to pay the balance down before the statement closes on most credit cards to minimize my credit utilization. Or I guess I can do pay by phone for $15. Anyway, their technology is so limiting, it makes me feel less guilty for taking $500 x 2 from them and walking away.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:19 am

2x at Target?

318i - are you saying that Target is coded as a gas/grocery store? Is that across the board or just at a few Targets that you visit?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:27 pm

Data point - I had signed up for a 50k targeted offer that I received in the mail several months ago. I just today tried to redeem those 50k points and was able to do so fairly easily. I opted for the mailed check option (within 14 days supposedly). They also had redemption options to a MasterCard gift card or to a Fifth Third checking or savings account. I have no other accounts with the bank and opted for the check option since that seemed to be the easiest way to "cash out" on the points. The process was simple and the agent was friendly, although not the most professional in her phone communication skills. She did seem to be U.S. based though. The direct phone number to their rewards redemption department is 800-449-2142. The same or similar option might be available via their web portal. I didn't try it.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
For those with at least 1 points remaining in your 53 account, this bank is now offering Amazon gift cards for 10% off. You can buy a $100 for ~$90 + 1 point. Pretty decent deal.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:54 pm

My wife and I both received the cards about December 10th, met the spend by the 17th, and our statements closed the 24th. Have received the Real Life Rewards related to the spending but not the 50,000 bonus points. I assume we'll get those in late January, but if they don't show up, I'll call or send a secure message.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
My wife and I both received the cards about December 10th, met the spend by the 17th, and our statements closed the 24th. Have received the Real Life Rewards related to the spending but not the 50,000 bonus points. I assume we'll get those in late January, but if they don't show up, I'll call or send a secure message.
Real Life Rewards bonuses posted January 15th. Just placed an order to redeem for two $500 checks. Had enough points left over to get a $50 gift card to Carabas and a $25 gift card to Outback.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali
FWIW, I noticed you can get various $25 gift cards (gas, dining, etc) for 5K points. Did not look at 7K level.
I was able to redeem for a $25 retail store gift card at the 4,250 point level. Apparently $25 gas cards can be redeemed at the 5,000 level according to the very uncertain, inept phone agent I spoke to recently. The travel redemption might be a better point bang for your buck according to other posts here. Cash redemptions seemed to kick in starting at 5,000 points. Any point balance less than that doesn't permit it (according to the lady).

Don't take any of the above as 100% accurate. I am just repeating what I was told and what my experience happened to be.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:49 pm

closing the account

There seems to be no retention offer or ability to have the annual fee waived for the second year. Also, there is no conversion option available either. Either you pay the annual fee to keep the card or you close it if you don't want to pay the fee.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:10 pm

I opened a 5th 3rd card in response to an offer of $150 cash back after spending $500. (If anyone wonders why I would chase such a low offer, it's because I'm locked out of Chase cards due to 5/24, I'm locked out of Citi cards due to 24 month rule, and I'm running out of Amex cards due to 1x per lifetime. Also, MS is getting a lot harder.) Ever since I opened the card, I've gotten mailers for the same offer about every other month. Does anyone know if I can have more than one and still get the bonus? I've been tossing them, but if they are churnable at $150 per pop, that starts to add up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.