Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Bank of America Travel Rewards + Preferred Rewards = Up to 2.775% everywhere card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bank of America Travel Rewards + Preferred Rewards = Up to 2.775% everywhere card?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by discocoaster
I would definitely use the BOA Travel Rewards Visa over the CSP if u are at the mid their of bonuses or above. I used to use the CSP for everything but since Amtrak Guest Rewards is no longer a Chase partner I opened the BOA Travel Rewards Visa and Im getting the 2.625% for every dollar. I am wondering why I didn't do this sooner.
The only way I'd park $100k at BOA is if I had so much elsewhere that it didn't matter. No BOA account pays any meaningful interest. Or I suppose if my company used BOA for their investments and it was just a perk of having the funds there anyways.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Parking $100k at Merrill Edge and putting that into your choice of investments is also qualifying activity.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Parking $100k at Merrill Edge and putting that into your choice of investments is also qualifying activity.
Yes, but ME pays no interest; at that tier you're getting free trades though. Just know that the money must be not-invested to receive tier benefits from what they told me when I asked. I have my IRA at ME and $0 is invested as I sit on the sidelines and wait for a pullback from all time highs. They said if it dropped below the tier amount due to buying equities I'd lose those benefits and drop down to the lower tier.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
the money must be not-invested to receive tier benefits from what they told me when I asked.
This is not true.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:49 pm

Yes, but ME pays no interest; at that tier you're getting free trades though. Just know that the money must be not-invested to receive tier benefits from what they told me when I asked. I have my IRA at ME and $0 is invested as I sit on the sidelines and wait for a pullback from all time highs. They said if it dropped below the tier amount due to buying equities I'd lose those benefits and drop down to the lower tier.
not true, as NYCFlyer10001 mentioned above

also, you get to keep the status for 12 months even if balance dips below threshold (might change in future)
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage

also, you get to keep the status for 12 months even if balance dips below threshold (might change in future)
I can confirm all they look at is the account value. They don't care what you are or are not invested in. You need a 90 day average of 100k over a 90 day period to hit the top tier and then you keep it for a year even if you go below. The 100k is across all personal accts. Business accts do not factor in.

My business banker set us up for the business version of this card as well and we get the 75 percent multiplier on that so long as we hit 8500 a month in spend I believe. So if you have a business the 100k wouldn't even be needed if you can meet the spend requirement
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by harleyn
I can confirm all they look at is the account value. They don't care what you are or are not invested in. You need a 90 day average of 100k over a 90 day period to hit the top tier and then you keep it for a year even if you go below. The 100k is across all personal accts. Business accts do not factor in.

My business banker set us up for the business version of this card as well and we get the 75 percent multiplier on that so long as we hit 8500 a month in spend I believe. So if you have a business the 100k wouldn't even be needed if you can meet the spend requirement
Did you confirm that you getting 75% bonus on your business card?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
This is not true.

Here's a message I received from ME back in May when I asked this very question. Where did you find that total account value is what counts?

Originally Posted by Merril Edge
To qualify for the $0 trade program, clients need $25,000 either in personal Bank of America deposit accounts, which includes checking, savings, CDs and bank IRA accounts, OR $25,000 in settled cash within the money accounts portion of the personal Merrill Edge self-directed brokerage accounts. Investments within the accounts are not counted in the $25,000. If you qualify, you can place 30 online stock or ETF trades per calendar month at a $0 commission rate.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:11 pm

Here's a message I received from ME back in May when I asked this very question. Where did you find that total account value is what counts?

To qualify for the $0 trade program

that's a different program

you're looking at
http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/bank...nimum-balance/
https://www.merrilledge.com/zero-dollar-trades

Boa/ME's "Preferred Rewards" program is different (in this thread, we're talking about this program, stacked with the Boa TravelRewards CC
https://www.merrilledge.com/preferred-rewards

if you park $20-49k in the Preferred Rewards program, you get "Gold" tier, 25% CC bonus, and ZERO free trades.

need $50k to get 30 free trades/month, $100k for 100 free trades/month

You are eligible to enroll in the Preferred Rewards program if you have an active, eligible Bank of America personal checking account and maintain a three month average combined balance in your qualifying Bank of America deposit accounts and/or your qualifying Merrill Edge and Merrill Lynch investment accounts of at least $20,000 for the Gold tier, $50,000 for the Platinum tier, or $100,000 for the Platinum Honors tier. SafeBalance Banking accounts do not count towards the account or balance requirements, and do not receive the fee waivers and other benefits of the program. Certain benefits are also available without enrolling in Preferred Rewards if you satisfy balance and other requirements.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:19 am

Ohhh, I see. So 25k+ in any BOA/Merrill account will get you the lowest tier for the BOA CCs and is totally separate from the free trades program that ME offers? For some reason I just assumed they were the same.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:38 pm

Ohhh, I see. So 25k+ in any BOA/Merrill account will get you the lowest tier for the BOA CCs and is totally separate from the free trades program that ME offers? For some reason I just assumed they were the same.
well, i don't know whether you can doubledip both promos

but yeah... it's 20k minimum in any BOA/Merrill account to get lowest tier for BoA CC

it does say "qualifying Merrill Edge accounts", but i think my IRA counted towards the minimum
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
Did you confirm that you getting 75% bonus on your business card?
Yes, we receive it each month. The bonus points all post in one shot on the last day of the month on the business card. There also is a full page (last page of the statement) each month reminding us to spend so we get the bonus.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Does anyone have more than one of these boa tr cards. I find that MS at 2.625% is awesome but could use another number to ramp up volume.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
Does anyone have more than one of these boa tr cards. I find that MS at 2.625% is awesome but could use another number to ramp up volume.
not sure if this is worth (potentially) burning a bridge via MS.... your 100k might get frozen for a while, and 2.625% is pretty good, and boa is a nationwide bank with unique partners (cough alaska, even though they might not appeal to you)

BoA does combine apps on single day for 1 hard pull, try?

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._cash_rewards/
looks like people have multiple cash rewards cards, so I guess multiple TR cards is possible.

just don't be this guy-> https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...from_24_cards/
(boa isn't as generous with CLs like amex/chase/citi) https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...cards/d7os0hx/
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
not sure if this is worth (potentially) burning a bridge via MS.... your 100k might get frozen for a while, and 2.625% is pretty good, and boa is a nationwide bank with unique partners (cough alaska, even though they might not appeal to you)

BoA does combine apps on single day for 1 hard pull, try?

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._cash_rewards/
looks like people have multiple cash rewards cards, so I guess multiple TR cards is possible.

just don't be this guy-> https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...from_24_cards/
(boa isn't as generous with CLs like amex/chase/citi) https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...cards/d7os0hx/
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I have been applying for AS cards about every 6-9 months and they are very valuable to us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.