Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Bank of America Retention offers / annual fee refunds (all cards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, US, AA, HHonors, Club Carlson, Kimpton

Not really a retention bonus of miles, but B of A waived the annual fee on my Hawaiian Airlines card for another year. They noticed I hadn't been using it in a very very long time, kinda surprised they waived it!

Last edited by mia; Feb 24, 2014 at 8:34 am Reason: Move from American Express to Credit Card Programs
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Boy, not much going on in this thread...

Cancelled my B of A VS card as the annual fee is coming due and relatives are moving back from England. Spent $25k in the year I had it (almost all MS!), no retention offer. I asked about converting it and BofA stated this card can not be converted. Oh well.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:27 pm

Cancelled BofA Alaska card. No retention offer when I called a month ago. Tried again today; no luck, and the rep said he could see I'd called in or someone had previously discussed it with me a few weeks ago. Next time I won't waste the time to HUCA.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Anyone know the cutoff time is to close card and get a refund on the Annual Fee with Bank of America? 30 days?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:59 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
See also this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...onversion.html
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
I called today on my Virgin Atlantic BOA card. I spoke to retention and they
changed to their travel rewards card 1.5 per $ dollar charged. I can use that for some things that make sense for me to keep it at this time. No offers made. Of course at some point I know I can probably get the card again anyway

Robert
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:37 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by robertw477
I spoke to retention and they
changed to their travel rewards card 1.5 per $ dollar charged.
Were they able to make the change while also removing the annual fee?

There were several reports of people who had a product change to a no annual fee card but were still charged the annual fee from the old product. BoA didn't seem to think there was anything strange about that...
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Virgin Atlantic BOA card: only spent enough to meet minimum spend. No retention offer was made by CSR.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Called about the $75 AF on my BofA Alaska Airlines card this morning. Had great rapport with an agent who offered to switch me to either BofA Cash Rewards or BofA Travel Rewards card and refund the AF in the process. I asked for a fee waiver or miles to keep the AS card and he said unfortunately no. Said I'd think about it and call back.

Called back in the afternoon and played dumb, asking if there were any other BofA cards I could switch to because it wasn't worth paying the AF. Agent #2 said let me look into the AF, put me on hold then came back and said he could waive it for me. Took the offer since I have some AS flights coming up and can use the (temporary) free checked bags benefit and bonus miles. $5k in annual spend.

Originally Posted by frudd38
Anyone know the cutoff time is to close card and get a refund on the Annual Fee with Bank of America? 30 days?
An agent for my BofA Alaska Airlines cards said I could get an AF refund if I close the account or switch to a no fee account within 60 days.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Efilon87
Not really a retention bonus of miles, but B of A waived the annual fee on my Hawaiian Airlines card for another year. They noticed I hadn't been using it in a very very long time, kinda surprised they waived it!
Originally Posted by robertw477
I called today on my Virgin Atlantic BOA card. I spoke to retention and they
changed to their travel rewards card 1.5 per $ dollar charged. I can use that for some things that make sense for me to keep it at this time. No offers made. Of course at some point I know I can probably get the card again anyway

Robert
Originally Posted by bribro
Called about the $75 AF on my BofA Alaska Airlines card this morning. Had great rapport with an agent who offered to switch me to either BofA Cash Rewards or BofA Travel Rewards card and refund the AF in the process. I asked for a fee waiver or miles to keep the AS card and he said unfortunately no. Said I'd think about it and call back.

Called back in the afternoon and played dumb, asking if there were any other BofA cards I could switch to because it wasn't worth paying the AF. Agent #2 said let me look into the AF, put me on hold then came back and said he could waive it for me. Took the offer since I have some AS flights coming up and can use the (temporary) free checked bags benefit and bonus miles. $5k in annual spend.

An agent for my BofA Alaska Airlines cards said I could get an AF refund if I close the account or switch to a no fee account within 60 days.
Which BOA number you dial to get retention offers or nice agents who can help with product conversion.

Last 1 week, I'm trying to convert Better Balance rewards to Travel rewards with no success. I keep hearing the BBR card cannot be converted to any other card.

Let me know tricks/tips for getting the best CS reps.

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by quizzer25
Which BOA number you dial to get retention offers or nice agents who can help with product conversion.
I just called the number on the back of my card.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:54 am
Suspended

Bank of America Annual Fee Refunds

Anyone know how many days one has to cancel a card in order to get an AF refund?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:01 pm

Alaska Air retention

I've had my Alaska Air Visa Signature open about 6 months, and called to "consider cancelling the card" today. I haven't used it since I MSed the $1k min spend for the statement credit back in March.

Got the first offer: 2 bonus miles per dollar spent on Alaska Airlines purchases. They enrolled me in this though I don't really plan to spend anything with Alaska.

Accepted the 2nd offer: "2,500 miles just for calling in today to talk about my account" - No spend, no catch, just free miles. I gladly accepted.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:29 am

Had the Virgin Atlantic for about 1 year, called when AF posted. 12k spending.

Offers
- 2500 miles
- 0% interest on balance transfer
- Convert to cash reward card

Not able to convert to Better Balance card.
Declined offer and closed account.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
I had the Virgin Atlantic card for 1 year, 15k spending.
No offers, cant product change. Moving credit line requires a hard pull.
So I just closed the account and got annual fee refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.