Advice on third Barclays card

Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Advice on third Barclays card

I'm about to go on a app spree and was looking at the 100,000 Citi, another Alaska card, the barclays arrivals card and possible the club carlson card.

My question is that if I already have a US Air and a NFL barclays card, do I have a good shot at getting a 3rd barclays card or do you think I would pushing my luck? High 700's for fico and vantage says 990 which I think must be an error. =)

Thanks
S
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
My experience has been that one can now only apply for any Barclays card once every 6 months. And you should first request them to lower the credit limit on each card you have, to like 6000 each.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:45 am

I've held a Priceline Barclays card for a few years that was actively used.

Last month, I applied for Arrival and US Airways. Approval was automatic but took some time. I had to wait about an hour checking the status window. Initially called into recon, but it wasn't even in their system yet. After the hour I checked status and I was approved for 20K. Second card went pending with letter. Called in and spoke with rep explaining I was simply interested in the pomotion being offered and wanted to separate spending. She indicated I had significant credit line with Barclays already (30K total), but approved by splitting credit to 10K each card.

This was my first AOR, but I applied/approved for the CapOne Venture card a week before. I now hold 3 Barclays cc, but finding the US airways card to be my least useful card in terms of points. Just added it on since there was concern about it ending.

Last edited by lagvoid; Feb 25, 2014 at 10:52 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:41 am

You can have 3, but hopefully you don't have too many other apps on your report. I applied for the US Air card last week, and they grilled me pretty good about why I had applied for so many cards within the past year. They're the only bank to have ever done that.

Then again, they only offered me a $7500 credit line, whereas all the other banks involved in my AOR pushed me over a total of 50k each (ok, one put me in the low 40s, but these were my first cards with them, so they gave me that amount as a new customer, on just two cards). In other words, Barclays is stingy, and a little more difficult. There's a reason the advice is generally to make them the first app in your AOR.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can have at least 4 total Barclays cards, if you don't have a particularly high credit limit on any of them. I've had the Best Western and Choice cards for years, got the US card a year ago (and still have it though I'm about to cancel it), and was approved for the Wyndham Rewards card in December. I think I have about $5k on each one. (I have a very high credit score, though what it is exactly varies quite a bit from bureau to bureau, and to a smaller bit from month to month.)

I was turned down around November for a second US card, but the reason given was simply that I already have one US card and they won't issue me a second one. (Ie, it had nothing to do with how many total Barclays cards I had.)
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Bailed on 3rd card

Instead I went for the 100,000 AA, Club Carlson and threw in an Alaska 25,000 with $100 credit. Got approved on all 3
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I was turned down around November for a second US card, but the reason given was simply that I already have one US card and they won't issue me a second one. (Ie, it had nothing to do with how many total Barclays cards I had.)
I think this is the #1 tip for getting approved for additional Barclays cards. Put some spend on the existing cards before applying for a new one.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:57 pm

I applied and was approved for the following Barclay cards. With the exception of the Arrival I never spent more than $25 on any Barclay Card

Us air #1 2/13/2103

Us Air # 2 10/26/2013

Arrival 12/23/2013

Wyndham 2/6/2014
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:12 pm

Barclays is hard to figure, but for most people they definitely like some space. My card with them (I don't have the earliest dates):
1) NFL Card, Opened 2012 closed 6 months later
2) Arrival Card, Denied, >6 months after NFL opened
3) Best Western, Approved 2013/10/8 - <6 months after #2
4) US Airways, Denied 2013/12/20 - "Blah blah blah sufficient credit with Barclays your fico was 789"
I had 12 inquiries on my Transunion when they pulled #4, Chase pulls Experian and Transunion and Citi pulls Transunion (at least sometimes) for me in IL.
Edit to add, virtually no spending above bonus amounts on #1 and #3
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:53 am

A bit OT, but somewhat related because we're talking about Barclays: Mr honu received a letter from Barclays, letting him know that his Choice Privileges Visa has been cancelled because he hasn't used it in a while. True, it might have ended up at the bottom of a sock drawer in the last year, or perhaps even longer. We would have preferred keeping the card, since it offers Gold on CP (which gives you a slightly longer award-booking window), and there is no annual fee. We occasionally have Choice stays, so that's how we've been using it - but evidently not in the last 14 months or so.

Two questions here: 1) is this type of closure (by the bank) a black mark on his credit report? And: 2) Would it be worth calling Barclays to see about reopening the card, or does it make more sense to apply again and get a second bonus (does that even happen with this kind of card?).
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:22 am

I wanted to correct my previous post, I am bumping my TU and I checked again, it was US Bank, not Citi on my TU report - so for me in IL, US Bank, Chase, and Barclays are all pulling TU, and Citi, Amex and Chase are pulling experian. Capital One pulls all 3 for everyone, me included AFAIK.

In response to the post above, that kind of closure is not a black mark against your score. In terms of 2) it is always better to reapply and get the bonus if you really want the card, it is just a question of whether Barclay's will approve you, and on that I have no crystal ball unfortunately.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by diclemeg
My experience has been that one can now only apply for any Barclays card once every 6 months. And you should first request them to lower the credit limit on each card you have, to like 6000 each.
Interesting idea. Since getting 5 Barclays cards in 2012 (US Air 1 in June 2012, US Air 2, Virgin America, Priceline and Choice in December 2012) I have been totally shut out on each attempt since with 3 or 6 month gaps in apps. I closed Virgin America in December 2013 ahead of conversion to Arrival. Among the usual reasons recon says I have enough credit with them. Laid out my experience more fully in a post: http://boardingarea.com/rapidtravelc...-arrival-hype/
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
I think this is the #1 tip for getting approved for additional Barclays cards. Put some spend on the existing cards before applying for a new one.
I did have spend on my existing Barclays cards at the time. It didn't help a single bit.

But again, that was a rejection for trying for a 2nd US card while still having a first one open. It was not rejection for any other reason. So it was not a "Barclays" card rejection, it was specifically a 2nd US card rejection. (A short time afterwards I was approved -- non-instantly, btw -- for a Wyndham Rewards card from Barclays no problem. And that was after I had no further spending on any of my Barclays cards. So there goes your theory.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.