Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2014 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is an archive of messages from threads started in 2014 requesting advice on proposed credit card App-o-Rama (AOR) or "churns". These threads are seldom revived after the Original Poster reports results, but they generate a large number of false positives when using Search this Forum to locate discussions of specific cards.

The 2013 archive is here:

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 10SNE1
I'm a relative newbie as well, so I am only giving you some partial feedback based on what I have read on these forums. It looks like you have a good mix as you are applying only for 1 card from each bank. I think your order (at least on the first two) is correct. US Bank is the toughest as they do not like to see many recent inquiries, and they should be first. One other thing that I would recommend is freezing your ARS and IDA reports prior to applying as US Bank looks at these. I've done this myself, and it was not too bad - you do need to fax in your opt out letter with some sort of identification (i.e. driver's license). You can search these boards for more info and a better explanation on this. Barclays can be tough as well as they like to see activity on any existing cards you have with them. I see you have the Arrival World MC - you probably have healthy recent activity since you were recently meeting minimum spend??? Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback! Yep, I mixed the banks and that was intentional, as was the placement of US Bank and Barclays first. I also froze both reports early last year, so that's still in place. And yes, I do have quite a bit of recent activity on the Arrival, so that should be good as well.

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
No AMEX at all? Simply cash business, PRG 50K via cardmatch.com, SPG are all good possibilities. You can tack that on the end of your AOR, and the order doesn't really matter except for starting with US Bank and Barclays. BoA Alaska is another good choice that could be tacked on.

US Bank may well decline you for your recent apps, and is even more likely to decline you if it goes pending and you continue your AOR. I would do it first or drop it. Also, you are eligible for another AA Executive card but may not be eligible for a Platinum card. Please report back if you do go for the Platinum.

I'm assuming you know you can bump the UA bonus to 50K if you don't have a 50K application.
You make a good point about AMEX...it's just that I've already got 5 cards I know I want and I'm already looking at over $15k in spending. I've tried to get the 50k PRG via cardmatch and so far haven't been able to. I'm waiting on the SPG until August when it's bumped to 30k. I guess it's just that I'm focused on other programs right now, and don't have a problem waiting on AMEX for the time being, until my next round.

As far as US Bank is concerned, when you say "do it first or drop it" should I apply first and try to get a decision before moving on to the other 4? Or are you just recommending that it goes to the front of the line so hopefully I get an instant approval?

And yes, we already got an AA Executive for my wife (first day it was available) and we're just wrapping up the spend on that now. This will be our 2nd, but I'm not sure we're prepared to do a 2nd card (3rd/4th total) each. That's just a ton of spending, as well as $250 OOP per card...

And finally, yes - both my wife and I currently have the UA MP Explorer (we both got the 55k + $50 bonus) and the AA Platinum (1 each, and we'd never had one before the two that we have now).

Any further advice or concerns?

Last edited by dajoip; Feb 26, 2014 at 8:45 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:09 am

This is for my wife. TU FAKO of 775 (big negative is short AAOA: 3.5 years). She applied and received AA Gold in December, no other apps in the past 2 years. We fly shorthaul AA and are planning to focus on Avios for this purpose.

Current AOR plan includes:
Chase - Fairmont ($1000 min spend, just for the 2 free night bonus)
Chase - British Airways ($2000 min spend)
AmEx - PRG (targeted 50k/$1000 offer)
Barclay - US Airways (no min spend)

I know applying for 2 Chase cards at once will probably require a recon call. I'm assuming we'll be able to get her approved for both eventually, though.

We could handle another $2-3k of spending easily. Wife may or may not be comfortable applying for more than 3 or 4 cards.

What would you suggest as another potential card to add/replace? I've thought about Club Carlson (but we wouldn't normally be able to stay at their properties), IHG (which we would make good use of but we already have 2 Chase cards in the AOR), Amex Blue Case Preferred (since we spend lots on groceries), or SPG (but just for the bonus since PRG/BA Visa seem better for earning Avios). What about throwing in a no-fee card to hang on to to help lengthen her AAOA? Discover It?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: all, none, somewhere in between
Originally Posted by agp423
Kudos to you sir, Amex CSR was able to product change the SPG (opened 3 months ago) to BC. Here's to hoping Amex doesn't claw back the SPG points (which I already transfered to AS).
What's Amex BC (blue card?) and isn't SPG already churnable? What if you haven't transferred your SPG pts?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Hi all, trying to dive into AOR for the first time. I was worried I'd have to fight for my CSP, but when I was instantly approved earlier today, I started to think I could pull off an AOR.

The CSP will be my first credit card (I know, late to the game) -- 5K limit. I'm not really looking for hotel points, more looking for cash back type cards. I don't have a business.

I was considering the Barclay's Arrival card (not sure if I should go with the one with the annual fee or not), the Capital One Quicksilver, and the Chase Freedom (to complement the CSP).

Thoughts on my strategy for my next applications? Credit score was about 720, pre-CSP.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ianmanka
Hi all, trying to dive into AOR for the first time. I was worried I'd have to fight for my CSP, but when I was instantly approved earlier today, I started to think I could pull off an AOR.

The CSP will be my first credit card (I know, late to the game) -- 5K limit. I'm not really looking for hotel points, more looking for cash back type cards. I don't have a business.

I was considering the Barclay's Arrival card (not sure if I should go with the one with the annual fee or not), the Capital One Quicksilver, and the Chase Freedom (to complement the CSP).

Thoughts on my strategy for my next applications? Credit score was about 720, pre-CSP.
I would go for the Arrival WITH the annual fee. The non-fee version isn't really worth the time, in my opinion. Chase may or may not approve you for two cards in one day, but the Freedom card is popular around here. Have you considered the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred? If you have a family, the 6% cashback on groceries is huge (up to $360 per year cashback for $6k spend in just one category).
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by aw82
I would go for the Arrival WITH the annual fee. The non-fee version isn't really worth the time, in my opinion. Chase may or may not approve you for two cards in one day, but the Freedom card is popular around here. Have you considered the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred? If you have a family, the 6% cashback on groceries is huge (up to $360 per year cashback for $6k spend in just one category).
Unfortunately, it's just me doing the spending. Overall, I don't spend all that much in one category. So there's some MS in my future to hit the CSP bonus, maybe a few others. What's the typical cooling-off period for Chase? I think I read somewhere 90 days, is that accurate?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:02 am

Is it possible to get the Blue Cash Preferred if you already have the Blue Cash Everyday?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, WN CP
Post long AOR plan

OK this is long and the AOR plan is not until the end since I have already AORed a number of times.

Open:
Previous (pre 2013)
Chase Sapphire Preferred Sean
Chase Sapphire Preferred Zaz
Sean Chase Marriott
Sean Starwood both
US Air Sean
US Air Zaz

Opened April 2013
Amex Surpass Zaz
Amex Surpass Sean
Citi hilton Reserve Sean
Citi hilton Reserve Zaz
Hyatt Chase Sean
Mariott Chase Zaz
Bank of Hawaii HA/Hilton Sean
Bank of Hawaii HA/Hilton Zaz
Chase Ink Bold Sean
Chase Ink Bold Zaz

Opened September 2013
Chase BA Sean and Zaz
Amex Starwood Zaz Biz and personal
US bank Club Carlson rewards (lesser) Zaz
Sean US bank Club Carlson Premier (better)
Sean Citi AA Business
Sean Barclays Arrivals
Sean BOA Virgin Atlantic
Sean Citi Hilton Signature
Sean US Bank Club Carlson Premier Business (better)
Zaz Chase Hyatt with Diamond
DENIED Sept 2013:
Sean Chase United business
Sean Barclays US Airways
Sean Amex Delta Airlines

January 2014
Sean Citi Executive AA 100K
Zaz Citi Executive AA 100K

Sean FICO (per Barclays): 781
Trans Union FAKO (per Credit karma): 768
Experian FAKO (per Credit Sesame): 799
Zaz FICO (per Barclays) : 724

So here is my March 2013 plan of attack.
Honeymoon is next year, in Australia, so hitting US Air hard for miles as R/T in business is 110K points.

March 2014
Sean
US bank Flexperks with Olympic bonus
http://www.flexperks.com/credit/offe...motion&lang=en
about 30K flexperks (Olympics) for meeting spend of 3500 in 4 months

Sean and Zaz
Barclays US airways
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...&cellNumber=51
40K US Airways miles
Sean and Zaz (both already have one US airways card, so going for another as it is churnable )
40K, first purchase, with $89 AF
Barclays US Airways Business
https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/japply/WebAppGate.jsp
25K with first purchase, $89 AF
Sean and Zaz
Zaz
Barclay Card Arrivals
40K points after 3000 spend, AF waived
Might be a stretch as credit score is only 720
Chase IHG Rewards Club
https://www.mychasecreditcards.com/ihg/inhotel80k
80K IHG points after 1000 spend
Sean
Chase Southwest Premier (for Companion Pass) Both business and personal Zaz
Sean for both:
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Premier Card:
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/2ffhero
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Card:
https://creditcards.chase.com/600027...thwest/2ffhero
($99 annual fee)
Sean had a Southwest $69 Plus that closed with my round of apps in September 2013, so will go premier for both

Chase Ink Plus for both (already have Bold for both, opened June 2013 for the 60K UR)

Citi HiltonHonors for both
1K spend in 4 months for 50K HH points
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-visa-135.html
Already opened Citi 100K Exec AAs last month so no go on multiple Citi Apps
BOA Alaska business for both (already have Alaska Personal)
Amex Simply Cash Business for both
$250 Cash back after $3000 spend
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...s-simply-cash/

So this AOR is Per person:
.5 US bank ( just 1 for Sean)
1 Barclays personal each ( 2 for Z)
1 Barclays Business each
1 Chase personal each ( 2 for Sean)
1 Chase business Ink plus each
1 Citi Personal HHonors each
1 BOA Alaska business each
1 Amex Biz each

So just 3 personal and 4 business for this round of AORs, as I already have 10K in spend needed from the Citi exec AA, and then this is another 27.5K which is pushing my rough MS limit of 10K/month.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:17 pm

This is for my wife. TU FAKO of 775 (big negative is short AAOA: 3.5 years). She applied and received AA Gold in December, no other apps in the past 2 years. We fly shorthaul AA and are planning to focus on Avios for this purpose.

Current AOR plan includes:
Chase - Fairmont ($1000 min spend, just for the 2 free night bonus)
Chase - British Airways ($2000 min spend)
AmEx - PRG (targeted 50k/$1000 offer)
Barclay - US Airways (no min spend)

I know applying for 2 Chase cards at once will probably require a recon call. I'm assuming we'll be able to get her approved for both eventually, though.

We could handle another $2-3k of spending easily. Wife may or may not be comfortable applying for more than 3 or 4 cards.

What would you suggest as another potential card to add/replace? I've thought about Club Carlson (but we wouldn't normally be able to stay at their properties), IHG (which we would make good use of but we already have 2 Chase cards in the AOR), Amex Blue Case Preferred (since we spend lots on groceries), or SPG (but just for the bonus since PRG/BA Visa seem better for earning Avios). What about throwing in a no-fee card to hang on to to help lengthen her AAOA? Discover It?

I would add a Citi Business AA on to that (50K AA miles, 3K spend) . Or you could go big with AA Exec but that $10K in 3 months so will probably require some MS.
I think 3 chase cards is pushing it, I normally apply for 2 every AOR.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sunburn644
I would add a Citi Business AA on to that (50K AA miles, 3K spend) . Or you could go big with AA Exec but that $10K in 3 months so will probably require some MS.
I think 3 chase cards is pushing it, I normally apply for 2 every AOR.
Thanks! We did the AOR last night. We were 3 for 4, getting denied for the US card because she's not a "preferred" dividend miles member (knew this was a possibility). Chase CLs are $22k and $16k.

We're not quite ready to jump on the business card without a business bandwagon, but maybe next time.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:31 pm

next churn

well its been a boring 10 months since my last churn hahah
should have churned earlier but got bogged down.
i have an upcoming trip to Hawaii that i am trying to score some hotel points.

i am gonna go for the below cards :
Citi HH reserve
Amex 50k HH
Chase Hyatt.

This will give me what i need along with some points i have.

wish me luck !
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:47 pm

Got all cards yay !!! Surprised chase gave me Hyatt and I didn't have to give up a card ! Plus they gave me a higher credit limit on this card which gives me some negotiation for the future . I had to call recon on chase and citi to verify info --I never got instant with chase for some reason.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:13 pm

AoR advice

I appreciate any advice. My last AOR was in June. Am I missing any lucrative cards, or other angles to achieve my planned travels? My spouse will also execute a similar AOR a month or so after mine.

Credit Karma - 773
Credit Sesame - 794
Discover FICO - 823
Priceline FICO - 818

Currently Hold
Barclays Sallie Mae Rewards
Barclays Priceline
Amex Blue Cash Prefered
Amex Green Cash
PenFed Cash Rewards
Citi Forward
Citi TY Preferred
Discover More
Chase Freedom
Chase Business Ink Bold
FIA Fidelity Amex

Considering the following cards:
Citi Advantage Executive (live in a us air hub location / planning for merger - for summer '15 and fall '15 trips)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (add to the ~120k UR points currently held - point diversity)
Chase Marriott Premier Visa (add to the ~15k points - for summer '14 trip)
Amex Starwood Preferred Guest (add to the ~8k points - for fall '15 trip)
Amex Hilton Honors (add to the ~10k points - for summer '15 trip)
Barclays US Air (live in a us air hub location / planning for merger - for '15 trips)

Trips planned:
Summer '14 - 100k Marriott Points required
Summer '15 - Jamaica - 420k Hilton / 105k American
Fall '15 - Puerto Rico - 60k Southwest / 125k Starwood

This is the first time I have solicited community advice, but have been a lurker/reader for some time.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by evad2013
I appreciate any advice. My last AOR was in June. Am I missing any lucrative cards, or other angles to achieve my planned travels? My spouse will also execute a similar AOR a month or so after mine.

Credit Karma - 773
Credit Sesame - 794
Discover FICO - 823
Priceline FICO - 818

Currently Hold
Barclays Sallie Mae Rewards
Barclays Priceline
Amex Blue Cash Prefered
Amex Green Cash
PenFed Cash Rewards
Citi Forward
Citi TY Preferred
Discover More
Chase Freedom
Chase Business Ink Bold
FIA Fidelity Amex

Considering the following cards:
Citi Advantage Executive (live in a us air hub location / planning for merger - for summer '15 and fall '15 trips)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (add to the ~120k UR points currently held - point diversity)
Chase Marriott Premier Visa (add to the ~15k points - for summer '14 trip)
Amex Starwood Preferred Guest (add to the ~8k points - for fall '15 trip)
Amex Hilton Honors (add to the ~10k points - for summer '15 trip)
Barclays US Air (live in a us air hub location / planning for merger - for '15 trips)

Trips planned:
Summer '14 - 100k Marriott Points required
Summer '15 - Jamaica - 420k Hilton / 105k American
Fall '15 - Puerto Rico - 60k Southwest / 125k Starwood

This is the first time I have solicited community advice, but have been a lurker/reader for some time.
well there's no business cards on there which opens up more possibilities if you're comfortable with it....

There's also no US Bank cards on there, I would go for the Club Carlson ones (or the flexperks, but that would be 2nd choice IMO)
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:50 pm

Hey everyone, I'm currently holding:

CSP, Freedom, FIA Fidelity, Barclays US Airways, and Two older CC (Wells Fargo/Credit Union).
Latest application was from US Airways in end of Dec.

Hoping to get on a trip to SE Asia this fall.

Currently considering these CC:

Citi Hilton Honors
AMEX Hilton Honors
Chase UA MileagePlus Explorer card (note, I opened the Freedom around Dec)

I am considering the Chase IHG card in the future as with the Barclay Arrival. I am also considering an Ink card (in lieu of the OM deals currently going on). Anyone want to chime in? I was thinking that the UA would give a bigger boost in terms of number of miles for the trip (though I'm unsure if I can apply for a business in the same time frame as the personal). The two hilton cards have no AF which I intend to just keep for a longer history with the institution. Also, I do not have a fully formed vacation schedule which makes me hesitant to go for the 2 free nights (don't want to waste them) with the non AF hilton cards.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.