Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Back for 2014: US Bank FlexPerks Olympics Promo ($549+ bonus until 3/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
Medal final results as of 2/23:
9 gold, 7 silver, 12 bronze = 7450 points + 20k guaranteed = 27,450 points

This promotion is similar to a very successful offer during the 2012 Olympics --
See this historic thread: [EXPIRED] U.S. Bank CC with 33,150 FlexPerks [~640 USD] travel sign up bonus, no fee

NOTE: This offer is officially expired. Even though the application page still loads, it is likely that you will only receive the 20k point portion of the offer if you apply now.

The offer expires March 7, 2014, and includes:
Deadline extended - must be approved by March 14, 2014... offer includes:

• Guaranteed 20,000 FlexPerks points after $3500 spend within first four months
  • An additional bonus depending on how many medals USA teams win during the Olympics [Gold = 500, Silver = 250, Bronze = 100; actual total = 7450 points]
  • First purchase must be made by March 31 to be awarded the 7450 point medals bonus
  • For reference, based on results at the last winter Olympics, the total bonus would have been 29,550, worth almost $600
  • $0 fee first year, then $49 subsequent years
  • 3 pts/$ on donations to charity
  • 2 pts/$ for gas, grocery, and airline purchases
  • 1 pt/$ elsewhere

More about bonus earning categories:

2pts/$ in whichever ONE of the following you had your highest spend for the statement month:
  • Grocery stores
  • Gas Stations
  • Airline Travel
And always 2pts/$ for cellphone bill payments

Each point is worth up to 2 cents when redeemed for airline tickets, according to this tiered redemption system:

No partial redemptions are allowed. In other words, a ticket priced at $395 costs 20k points while a ticket priced at $405 costs 30k points. No option to combine points+cash. Each redemption includes a reimbursement for up to $25 of incidentals charged directly by the airline.

For general questions on FlexPerks points, see this long-running thread: U.S. Bank FlexPerks [Master Thread]
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Back for 2014: US Bank FlexPerks Olympics Promo ($549+ bonus until 3/14)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:02 am

Does this card require excellent credit score? My FICO score is around 720, in the past 6 months have 5 hps on Experian, 1 on Equifax and 2 on TransUnion. Am I ok to give a shot on this card? Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:02 am

What's the chance of getting approved for both the personal and business and would the points go into the same account or separate?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:20 am

US Bank is the only creditor who has rejected me. Whats worse is they don't just reject you, they'll give you another version of the card with less rewards/bonus which lowers your average age with an account you don't want. YMMV.

Last edited by tjguitar85; Feb 2, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by kasan08
Does this card require excellent credit score? My FICO score is around 720, in the past 6 months have 5 hps on Experian, 1 on Equifax and 2 on TransUnion. Am I ok to give a shot on this card? Thanks
US bank like Barclays is very stingy in giving out cards especially if you have a number of inquiries before hand.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Venomous West
What's the chance of getting approved for both the personal and business and would the points go into the same account or separate?
..curious as well, 2 browser trick this with biz n personal, get 2 account #'s and then merge down the line?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:17 pm

FYI on Redemptions

Had the personal version back in 2012 and dug through the rewards. You can redeem for cash at a 1 to .01 ratio, airfare via the travelocity booking option. If you find a flight though, don't like it be will be priced anywhere but what travelocity lists as that's all you'll get. It kind of sucks but best value redemption. I took some national car rental GC's but, not too much to really like.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Applied on Saturday night 2-1, received a wait 7 to 10 business days message.
Called today and I got approved. Hopefully it's for the right bonus.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by jknc09
Had the personal version back in 2012 and dug through the rewards. You can redeem for cash at a 1 to .01 ratio, airfare via the travelocity booking option. If you find a flight though, don't like it be will be priced anywhere but what travelocity lists as that's all you'll get. It kind of sucks but best value redemption. I took some national car rental GC's but, not too much to really like.
You can always call and inquire about additional flights. Been there and done that...
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
I'd love to hear how getting this bonus goes for people who got in last time. I'm trying to decided if I should go for it on my next round of apps.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:45 pm

Trying to understand how the redeeming feature works. Said no partial redemptions, so if I had a flight for $195 , does that mean it will cost me the full 20000 pts? Or will they use 10000 pts and leave me the other 10k to use later?
Also is the 2:1 ratio only for flights or is it also for any type of travel booking, say Amtrak or Greyhound bus?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tomcanada22
Trying to understand how the redeeming feature works. Said no partial redemptions, so if I had a flight for $195 , does that mean it will cost me the full 20000 pts? Or will they use 10000 pts and leave me the other 10k to use later?
It's the lowest tier value that would fully cover the ticket. In your example, $195 costs 20k points.

Also is the 2:1 ratio only for flights or is it also for any type of travel booking, say Amtrak or Greyhound bus?
It's only for flights booked from their proprietary travelocity portal ($0 fee) or with one of their phone agents ($20 fee).
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
It's the lowest tier value that would fully cover the ticket. In your example, $195 costs 20k points.

It's only for flights booked from their proprietary travelocity portal ($0 fee) or with one of their phone agents ($20 fee).

Thanks for the reply. Guess it seems I will try for the Barclay Arrival instead as it is much more flexible for my travel needs.

But just curious in the above example, if using the Travelocity portal could I book for 2 tickets for myself and wife or multiple tickets to add up to $400 as I assume you can't go beyond what you have as no partial redemptions.

Last edited by tomcanada22; Feb 4, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tomcanada22
But just curious in the above example, if using the Travelocity portal could I book for 2 tickets for myself and wife or multiple tickets to add up to $400 as I assume you can't go beyond what you have as no partial redemptions.
You can't book multiple tickets together. If you book for two people, it will price each person separately.

However, you may be able to book a multi-city ticket, depending on if the portal will cooperate. For example, theoretically, you could book A->B B->A A->C in one redemption, if the search cooperates.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
...However, you may be able to book a multi-city ticket, depending on if the portal will cooperate. For example, theoretically, you could book A->B B->A A->C in one redemption, if the search cooperates.
Yes, you can do this. I recently priced 4 C flights A-B-C-B-D within SE Asia on the portal and it told me 50,000 point. The actual cost was somewhat less than $1,000, so I don't know if I'll end up purchasing using FP points.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by phdtomd
Applied on Saturday night 2-1, received a wait 7 to 10 business days message.
Called today and I got approved. Hopefully it's for the right bonus.
I assume you called automated line? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.